X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Suzy Klein is NEVER wrong, and the sooner we all come to our senses and acknowledge the fact the better.
    Well life is certainly pleasanter for not engaging in combat, but raises the question as to how far willful ignorance should be tolerated.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Well life is certainly pleasanter for not engaging in combat, but raises the question as to how far willful ignorance should be tolerated.
      She makes me feel (MADE me feel, actually, 'cos I now avoid her broadcasts like the plague) like Ronnie Corbett in that sketch: 'I know my place'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Suzy Klein is NEVER wrong, and the sooner we all come to our senses and acknowledge the fact the better.
        Rumour has it that she expects to the next Prime Minister.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Oh, that certainly is "counterintuitive"!
          I always thought "counterintuitive" was what young retail outlet wannabees write on their application forms to The Apprentice.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I always thought "counterintuitive" was what young retail outlet wannabees write on their application forms to The Apprentice.
            No it’s a split sales area!

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Devil's chord

I liked the short discussion about the tritone on Thursday. The trouble with this is that we're used to hearing so much music nowadays with dissonances which were disliked/banned in previous centuries that they just sound "normal". It's good to be reminded of these things from time to time though. There were some useful examples, including some from rock/pop music.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Time for Head Girl Miss Suzy to be seen by the Head Teacher I think. We know she doesn't take correction or criticism well but being rude to listeners is a step too far. This morning we had 'yes I know it should be Concerti Grossi, so don't write in OK - but it sounds silly' [not as silly as concerto grossos] in a narky tone.
                Earlier there was a nice plug for a wood treatment product; we all know what company has 'does what it says on the tin', so no need to name it as well...or is that something else that has changed? I seem to remember product placement constraints have changed somewhat but I thought actually naming was still out.
                Ian Skelly has just used the supposedly silly (though linguistically accurate ) phrase Concerti Grossi.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  Ian Skelly has just used the supposedly silly (though linguistically accurate ) phrase Concerti Grossi.
                  I hope that it was both deliberate and pointed.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

That would be going too far I think. I think the policy , as far as possible, is to be accurate . Interesting that we anglicise Rome , Vienna etc but now make an attempt to get Chinese cities right .

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Skelly 1 Klein 0

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

That would be going too far I think. I think the policy , as far as possible, is to be accurate . Interesting that we anglicise Rome , Vienna etc but now make an attempt to get Chinese cities right .
                        With the clear exception of 香港 (Xiānggăng).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Interesting that we anglicise Rome , Vienna etc but now make an attempt to get Chinese cities right .
                          But, with the sole exception of "Paris"*, all French towns and cities are pronounced with at least an attempt to reproduce the French pronunciations.

(* - unless there's an attempt at irony.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

But, with the sole exception of "Paris"*, all French towns and cities are pronounced with at least an attempt to reproduce the French pronunciations.

(* - unless there's an attempt at irony.)
                            Rheims/Reims? ( English: /riːmz/; French: /ʁɛ̃s/ )

... or again :

Armentières ( French : /aʁmɑ̃tjɛːʁ/ )

(English : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiynnETOlM )

[ ... message to self : never use the phrase "with the sole exception" ]

Last edited by vinteuil; 20-03-19, 15:20.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              [ ... message to self : never use the phrase "with the sole exception" ]
                              - I'm quite startled to see that I did!

(Although I do pronounce both those placenames with at least an attempt at what I think is the local pronunciation. Certainly not "reams" [as in paper] or "Are men tears".)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

(Although I do pronounce those placenames with at least an attempt at what I think is the local pronunciation. Certainly not "reams" [as in paper.)
                                ... not even when reciting :

The Jackdaw of Rheims THE JACKDAW sat on the Cardinal’s chair!Bishop and abbot and prior were there;Many a monk, and many a friar,Many a knight, and many a squire,With a

Comment

Working...
                                X