• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    why do folks actually believe that R3 has any future ? - sounds just like another nail in the coffin - how appropriate that KD placed in role of chief nailer
    Well, I believe it has a future because of the fundamental value of what it has undertaken to provide. I think on the pendulum model, the dumbing down - and in this current case I am unrepentant about using the phrase - will swing back in favour of something more thoughtful and expert. And, pace MrGongGong, more serious. I cannot see that anyone could claim next Friday's programme is musically serious.

It's mostly the equivalent of 'My old man said follow the van' or 'My old man's a dustman'. Repellent is not the word for it. But it is one of the words for it.

However, most people seem quite content to scream and rage about it, and do nothing.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      @Caliban
      I'm afraid of a case of 'Give a prog a bad name and damn it'. Many who might find their patience repaid simply won't be listening.
      Btw in case I were took amiss, I wasn't pleading that there should BE a 10.30 watershed (patronising crap before, full works in interesting performances after), merely in favour of turning on around 10.30 for some decent programming (faute de mieux earlier)
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

We are soon to get treated to a Radio 3 simulcast of Radio 2's Friday Night Is Music Night, complete with the Candide Overture (coincidentally, I noted this on the latest FoR3 propaganda which Mark will post later this very afternoon. It should be said that, judging from the entire programme, Candide will be one of the better pieces What they will be playing appears to be hidden in a press release (though all will presumably be revealed tomorrow (Friday) in the week's schedule.

Remind me when the new controller assumes responsibility for programming?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Remind me when the new controller assumes responsibility for programming?
          What troubles me is that we don't know who's responsible for what at the BBC.

The Director of Music is responsible for 'coordinating' the new 'BBC Music' across radio and television, and he's also the controller of Radio 2 and 6 Music. Coincidentally, we seem to be force-fed Radio 2 and 6 Music material these days. But Radio 3's 'BBC Music Day' seems to be the same strait jacket schedule that we know of old: same programmes and presenters throughouout the day, special content.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I do like Rob Cowan but I fear that his hands are tied by edicts from 'on high'.
            He used to post on the old BBC Radio 3 Messageboards. He was highly respected by most posters - indeed almost revered. An experienced and knowledgeable broadcaster and critic, who has been dragged into the abyss, requesting texts and tweets, playing party games: playing music backwards, and playing two tunes simultaneously.

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Radio 3's 'BBC Music Day' seems to be the same strait jacket schedule that we know of old: same programmes and presenters throughouout the day, special content.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro.../bbc-music-day
              Looks like a dumbed down (and cut down) re-invention of "Music Live" from the year 2000.

Comment

• Daniel
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                and then Sokolov playing the Chopin Op.28 Preludes complete, which I was very interested to hear.
                Revelatory I'd say! (Sorry for off topic interjection, but am extremely grateful to Caliban for mentioning this, because as a non EC listener I'd have otherwise missed what has proved to be one of my piano highlights of 2015 so far!)

I do sincerely share the furrowed brow (pretty standard dress code on this thread I think?) about the infantilisation of R3, but as I don't listen to EC (cherry picking excepted) I can't really comment, apart from a general boo to the principle of Arthurs/Glorias from Tweetsford choosing Entry of the Gladiators as their 'Music to tie your shoelaces to', etc.

If it's of any interest, I opened up the R3 website on a new browser yesterday, and perhaps because of this was asked to offer my opinions about it (website, not programmes), which I did so with emphasis on the fact that I felt R3 shouldn't be shy about being/appearing learned, which at times it seemed to be.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                  Revelatory I'd say! (Sorry for off topic interjection, but am extremely grateful to Caliban for mentioning this, because as a non EC listener I'd have otherwise missed what has proved to be one of my piano highlights of 2015 so far!)

I do sincerely share the furrowed brow (pretty standard dress code on this thread I think?) about the infantilisation of R3, but as I don't listen to EC (cherry picking excepted) I can't really comment, apart from a general boo to the principle of Arthurs/Glorias from Tweetsford choosing Entry of the Gladiators as their 'Music to tie your shoelaces to', etc.

If it's of any interest, I opened up the R3 website on a new browser yesterday, and perhaps because of this was asked to offer my opinions about it (website, not programmes), which I did so with emphasis on the fact that I felt R3 shouldn't be shy about being/appearing learned, which at times it seemed to be.
                  Good stuff Daniel!

The Sokolov was terrific wasn't it ! (Glad to have been of assistance... )

Might have to start investing in his performances...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    He used to post on the old BBC Radio 3 Messageboards. He was highly respected by most posters - indeed almost revered. An experienced and knowledgeable broadcaster and critic, who has been dragged into the abyss, requesting texts and tweets, playing party games: playing music backwards, and playing two tunes simultaneously.
                    I have spoken to him a few times when he has taken part in pre-Proms talks at the RCM. As you say, he is a valuable broadcaster who personally respects his audience. I think you can sometimes feel his embarrassment when he has to introduce all the party games that you refer to. I don't use Twitter, but I wonder if any listeners send tweets or emails to the programme deploring the nonsense that's being perpetrated. I imagine that they do, but go unheard.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The Sokolov was terrific wasn't it !
                      Might have to start investing in his performances...
                      ... well, hope you're in funds - currently £2-50p per disc

[ ... but seriously - much recommended ]

Last edited by vinteuil; 29-05-15, 08:48.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

[ ... but seriously - much recommended ].
                        There is also a live 2 disc recital which includes the Op 28 preludes on DGG (issued earlier this year).

Comment

• David-G
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          I don't use Twitter, but I wonder if any listeners send tweets or emails to the programme deploring the nonsense that's being perpetrated.
                          Personally, I think that this is a very good strategy.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

[ ... but seriously - much recommended ]
                            Many thanks. The Naïve releases are available separately inc downloads (my preference) but at much higher cost...

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            There is also a live 2 disc recital which includes the Op 28 preludes on DGG (issued earlier this year).
                            Yes - the Chopin performance is a different one I think: live in Salzburg, whereas the Naïve recording (which was the one played on R3) was made in Paris if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Zucchini
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              I don't use Twitter, but I wonder if any listeners send tweets or emails to the programme deploring the nonsense that's being perpetrated. I imagine that they do, but go unheard.
                              But not necassarily unseen. Moaning amongst yourselves in your tiny circle is like old duffers in the pub complaining about the beer when the landlord is absent
                              Last edited by Zucchini; 29-05-15, 15:13.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                                But not necassarily unseen. Moaning amongst yourselves in your tiny circle is like old duffers in the pub complaining about the beer when the landlord is absent
                                You seem to be equally scathing of FoR3 directing the views - expressed here and elsewhere - directly to the landlord. The landlord, you seem to suggest, won't take any notice of 'old duffers' anyway.

Why not say something constructive? Or do you have some sort of moral objection to that?

Comment

Working...
                                X