X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    A couple of anoraks discussing their obsession. No more. No less. You should hear bus anoraks going on about theirs. Bores me to tears, but does no real harm.
    I agree that it goes no harm. But it does not mean that I like it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I agree that it goes no harm. But it does not mean that I like it.
      It's harming my well-being at this very moment. If I want to hear the likes of Michel Roux Jr rambling on about his grandmother, interspersed by his choice of music, i can tune into Radio 4's Desert Island Discs once a week.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        It's harming my well-being at this very moment. If I want to hear the likes of Michel Roux Jr rambling on about his grandmother, interspersed by his choice of music, i can tune into Radio 4's Desert Island Discs once a week.
        I don't think that you'll find him to be a weekly castaway! Your point is taken, however; I just don't get the point of this kind of thing outside that particular programme and its bigger brother Private Passions.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie, Most of these so-called celebrities I have never heard of. The BBC seem obsessed with celebrity culture that is if they are not promoting tweeting in with inane comments and playing music backwards. As you say If I want this type of thing I listen to Desert Island Discs and Private Passions.
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 07-05-15, 13:20.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie, Most of these so-called celebrities I have never heard of. The BBC seem obsessed with celebrity culture that is if they are not promoting tweeting in with inane comments and playing music backwards. As you say If I want this type of this I listen to Desert Island Discs and Private Passions.
            If I find I want this kind of listen, I book an appointment for a check up with the doctor .
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              If I find I want this kind of listen, I book an appointment for a check up with the doctor .
              Children's Favourites or Housewives' Choice?

Comment

• Lento
                • Jan 2014

Martin Shaw chose the opening of Messiah performed by Sargent and RLPO, Thursday just after 10am. It sounded just wrong to me: is it the slowest ever rendition? I can't believe Handel would have approved!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Very engaging cove, though, Martin Shaw isn't he?

I enjoyed voting this morning with Soviet-era Prokofiev 5 in one ear - a strange counterpoint to exercising one's democratic whatsits (further colour added by the fact that our Polling Station is a primary school, so this most serious function is carried out among a riot of finger paintings and other colourful children's paintings covering the walls and garlanded on strings across the ceiling.)

All most agreeably surreal!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

My first hearing of Messiah was via a 19 disc 78 rpm set (now on 2 Dutton CDs) so this slow rendering (it is marked "Grave") feels somehow comfortable and sincere. However, Sargent does not double dot the opening section, and I'm sure he should...

Comment

• Lento
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      [COLOR="#0000FF"]Very engaging cove, though, Martin Shaw isn't he?
                      Absolutely: a pleasant listen, despite the Handel!

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                        Absolutely: a pleasant listen, despite the Handel!
                        Yes I have enjoyed him too... Nice to hear someone admit to having been, on occasions, a bit of a pratt....

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Yes I have enjoyed him too... Nice to hear someone admit to having been, on occasions, a bit of a pratt....
                          Being unprofessional?
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Being unprofessional?
                            Just So ts

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

As commented on the 'legendary recordings' thread, I'm grateful to EC (and perhaps Rob Cowan if the choice was his) for getting me to listen at last to the Szell/Cleveland Mahler 4 this morning. It is an absolutely magical performance, dare I say 'essential'... even though having been listening to Mahler for 35 years or so now, I'd failed to hear it until today
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                As commented on the 'legendary recordings' thread, I'm grateful to EC (and perhaps Rob Cowan if the choice was his) for getting me to listen at last to the Szell/Cleveland Mahler 4 this morning. It is an absolutely magical performance, dare I say 'essential'... even though having been listening to Mahler for 35 years or so now, I'd failed to hear it until today
                                I guess Cali that 35 years ago there were more choices at reasonable prices that there were 50 years ago when the Szell on CBS Classics was one of the most affordable gems. The Sony CD 50 years on is also. Enjoy and catch up Cali.

Comment

Working...
                                X