Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

if major changes were made to the morning schedule it would be interesting to see how many complaints they received. Perhaps none. Perhaps many. Who knows.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by seabright View Post
      I do sometimes wonder if some, or indeed all, of these presenters have life-time contracts with the BBC. For example, I don't know for how many decades Andrew McGregor has been presenting CD Review but surely there was a time in the distant past where the presenters were changed after a year or two. Those days appear to have gone.
      Yes, but take care who you choose as an example. AMcG is possibly the finest of all the Radio 3 presenters. True there are niggles about when he joins in with some BaLs, but he's the kind of presenter we do want to keep on R3.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        if major changes were made to the morning schedule it would be interesting to see how many complaints they received. Perhaps none. Perhaps many. Who knows.
        Interesting. To me, you don't change things 'because people complain', you (in this case Radio 3) change them because you think it's the right thing to do. By all means consider the arguments of those who complain, but it's not about numbers.

Should the BBC reinstate JC because 1,000,000 people have petitioned them to do so?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

..... so R3 shouldn't make any changes (to anything) as a result of complaints/recommendations/pleas from us .....

[my mind's gone blank - is JC the son of Mary & Joseph ? ]

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

..... so R3 shouldn't make any changes (to anything) as a result of complaints/recommendations/pleas from us .....
            I think the controller's job is to weigh up what people are saying. RW (I'm sure!) did - and decided it conflicted with his own strategy, and he would pursue that despite what anyone said.

According to the Trust review, there has been a steady decline in the 34-54 age group since he took over. Which, at the very least, means his strategy to attract a new, younger audience hasn't worked.

"By age, Radio 3’s reach has fallen among listeners aged 35-54, who have been seen by the station as ‘replenishers’ to its existing audience. In 2013-14 reach among this age group was down to 2.7%, from 2.9% in 2009-10 and from 3.9% in 2003-04"

We have (patiently ) been sending our arguments to Alan Davey and he has confirmed that he has been reading them 'with interest'. He will do what we suggest if he agrees with us - not because we're a nuisance and it will keep us quiet.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Radio 3 should listen to the views of its audience, but should, as ff says, do what is right. Taking account of people's views is not the same as caving in to mob antics.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

A million people think so, apparently - and he has been walking on water, lately.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  reinstate JC
                  Who are we talking about?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

I think the controller's job is to weigh up what people are saying. RW (I'm sure!) did - and decided it conflicted with his own strategy, and he would pursue that despite what anyone said.
                    .... i.e. he did what he thought was "the right thing to do" (#1383) ? There are probably as many ideas about the right thing to do as there are listeners ..... but only one controller

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Crumbs, and I thought I was out of touch with populist entertainment

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Crumbs, and I thought I was out of touch with populist entertainment
                        Sorry, we're having trouble keeping up at the back here. So JC is who?

Oh... a thought.... did someone step sideways and start talking about the petrol-head bloke who got drunk and hungry for steak and split the Irishman's lip?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

"By age, Radio 3’s reach has fallen among listeners aged 35-54, who have been seen by the station as ‘replenishers’ to its existing audience. In 2013-14 reach among this age group was down to 2.7%, from 2.9% in 2009-10 and from 3.9% in 2003-04"
                          "but it's not about numbers"

oh that Top Gear man (JC)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            John Cleese or Julius Caesar?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Ahem: the matter of how important 'numbers' were in persuading the BBC to change direction referred to the one million-signature petition for them to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson, suspended, as Caliban has remarked, for being involved in a 'fracas'.

So the point being made is not about how many - or few - people, here or anywhere else, 'petition' Radio 3 to change direction but a consideration of the validity of rival 'arguments'; and, incidentally, the need for the BBC to explain fully and satisfactorily why it makes any decision which may be controversial.

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

Should the BBC reinstate [Jeremy Clarkson] because 1,000,000 people have petitioned them to do so?
                                implied answer presumably - NO, they shouldn't bow to public pressure but do what they think is the "right thing to do" (which might indeed happen to be to reinstate JC since he apparently earns £millions for the corporation)

should R3 change because of some 'pressure' from people who want change ? - implied answer presumably - NO, they should (continue to) do what they consider to be the right strategy/'thing-to-do'

sorry, missed your post

Comment

Working...
                                X