• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    "Populist" that will please ff!!!!!
    Not guilty!! Doesn't sound like a very appropriate comment for Wikipedia. Surely should have a 'POV' tag?

My view, FWIW is that it's not any particular guest that is "populist" but the concept of having guests from as many different 'backgrounds' as possible (esp. non-classical) so that Ess. Cla. will have an appeal for the 'broader audience'.

Hmm, phrase added on 11 Jan 2014 by an unknown editor. But I do wonder whether, for some people, "populist" is intended as a compliment ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

populist suggests a commitment to playing works that most people appreciate [this being the criterion value] whereas i believe the R3 philosophy was to play music that most people would appreciate easily in a chatty style in order to increase the number of listeners with no further regard to the criteria of values that might be entangled in choosing music ... the false 'populism' of the sales/marketing cadres who claim popularity when they mean ££££ ... RW did not seem to me to get that ...at the RFH before he went [that South Bank presence] he claimed he was giving listeners what he claimed they wanted in surveys [bulletins/chat/weather &c] because he had surveyed listeners as if R3 was a commercial radio station and not a public service arts broadcaster ... had he done that kind of survey rather than the sales/service/marketing model he might well have discovered very different indications of listener wants
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        He, unless I have lost track of time, only got 15 minutes today.
        Yes - I caught the end, and Sarah Walker's slightly desperate plea about the next one: 'We'll be playing Arnold's Guitar Concerto, Stuart plays the guitar so there'll be lots to talk about' (unlike today, apparently).

Was quite proud of myself a little later, when I 'tuned in' again with an engaging wind ensemble piece under way but no clue who'd written it... It seemed to vary between Dvorakian simplicity and more modern spikiness, I was racking the Calibrain... and then thought: this is Nielsen, he has that mix plus was interested in wind instruments... So it was. I thought some sort of Serenade, hadn't counted that there were only 5 of 'em, hence his Wind Quintet. Didn't know he'd written one. But still
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

funny thing happened today, their computer played the movements of Mendelssohn Scottish in the wrong order. I've had spotify do that to me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            funny thing happened today, their computer played the movements of Mendelssohn Scottish in the wrong order. I've had spotify do that to me.
            Comes in handy with Mahler 6, though
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Comes in handy with Mahler 6, though
              Not if it is the finale and the first movement though .

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                RW did not seem to me to get that ...
                I'm afraid I have to say that I think there was a lot that Roger didn't get, and I'm deseprately hoping his successor will have more intellectual rigour
                Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                at the RFH before he went [that South Bank presence] he claimed he was giving listeners what he claimed they wanted in surveys [bulletins/chat/weather &c] because he had surveyed listeners as if R3 was a commercial radio station and not a public service arts broadcaster ...
                My conclusion is that BBC audience research is focused on what are its corporate concerns (I've undergone, unknown to the interviewer, one of the BBC audience research interviews). And I've read the 'focus' group research for Radio 3: none of it 'focuses' on what might concern listeners - just what 'concerns' the BBC (are we doing what the government has told us we must do?).

DRAFT INTRO: "The [FoR3] survey respondents are not ‘representative’ of the Radio 3 audience (an impossible concept, surely? what characteristics could ‘represent’ the entire audience, other than that they listen, or have listened, to Radio 3?).

"Since the majority are already registered supporters of Friends of Radio 3, they may be assumed to have concerns. The aim of the research was to investigate those concerns – something that BBC audience research does not set out to do. The responses must, inevitably, seem critical: these are, if you like, the ‘dispossessed’ – those who listened to the station with enjoyment and profit until a decision was taken to direct strategy at attracting a new type of audience. "
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ...until a decision was taken to direct strategy at attracting a new type of audience. "
                  ...at certain times of day

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

....at the most listened to times.....
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      ....at the most listened to times.....
                      In fact, most of the 'day'. Hence 'dispossessed'.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

"An interesting new insight." But at least it was noticed and apologised for, which is the important thing

Comment

• Don Petter

There had already been a cock-up earlier in the morning (circa 9.45). As I got back in the car SW was apologising that two (?) movements, had not been what we had expected.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

They call their computer "Eric" as in Morecambe!!
                            Last edited by Gordon; 05-02-15, 11:06.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                              They call their computer "Eric" as in Morcambe!!
                              Very good!

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Do the EC team not have a DVD player available? That, surely, can be the only reason for SW spinning the admitedly fine Vicky Ray/Eclipse recording of the openning of Feldman's Piano and String Quartet rather than the homegrown John Tilbury/Smith Quartet recorded 'live' at the HCMF.

Comment

Working...
                                X