Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

A nice surprise in store for those who enjoy the EC guest interviews next week.
    a broadcaster being interviewed by a broadcaster. The guest broadcaster has had his music choice chosen by the listeners of his own show apparently.

should be great. Key talent every which way.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Sarkozy, hein? I wonder how many of the guests are either BBC staffers or are appearing in BBC programmes
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        a broadcaster being interviewed by a broadcaster. The guest broadcaster has had his music choice chosen by the listeners of his own show apparently.

Please just stop trying to wind me up.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Yes, as it happens I am usually free to listen for an hour or so in the mornings. Breakfast is too early for me so I often catch the guest spot on Essential Classics and very often I find it enjoyable enough. You reckon that next week should be good teamsaint? Last week certainly was with Fiona Shaw, especially as I looked her up and was much impressed by her own career in music and drama. She was a wonderful guest and Sarah Walker obviously enjoying the interview drew out some great pieces of music, drama and just brilliant conversation.

Now, whilst I go back a long time in my criticism of the gimmicks we all deplore, repeatedly, I have to cite last week's Essential Classics as an example of what I consider to be good Radio 3. I was entertained, as I have indicated, and I was informed and educated by the choices made, especially by the presentation of the finale of Poulenc's opera Dialogues of the Carmelites - a piece unknown to me previously except by name. Even on radio I saw the horror and the beauty of that scene where the Carmelite nuns went to their deaths.

A conversation between two people is often a most effective way of encouraging learning, at any level, so I would not rule out guest interviews as a tactic.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

I heard a couple of decent/interesting musical items on EC last week, by chance.

as for next weeks guest spot, I think I accidentally omitted this.....or maybe this.... or a rolleyeyething.

Richard Bacon is not my choice of anything much, I'm afraid.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

I heard a couple of decent/interesting musical items on EC last week, by chance.

as for next weeks guest spot, I think I accidentally omitted this.....or maybe this.... or a rolleyeyething.

Richard Bacon is not my choice of anything much, I'm afraid.
              I'm glad you give credit where it is due, teamsaint. That was really my point,

I don't think you needed the irony or the sarcasm things - it was clear what you meant. Perhaps I needed the devilish one.

I don't know Richard Bacon but I have confidence in Sarah Walker. She's one of the good guys I think.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Here's a bio of Richard Bacon:

I shall refrain from any comment. Others may feel otherwise.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  I'm glad you give credit where it is due, teamsaint. That was really my point,

I don't think you needed the irony or the sarcasm things - it was clear what you meant. Perhaps I needed the devilish one.

I don't know Richard Bacon but I have confidence in Sarah Walker. She's one of the good guys I think.
                  Did anyone else hear it.......????

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Go on, tell us, you know you want to.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I've had two emails, copied in to messages that were sent to the programme ... :-)
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I've had two emails, copied in to messages that were sent to the programme ... :-)
                        ...and

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          ...and
                          Well, obviously two people listened to it (in answer to ag's question). I don't think I was required to do anything about it myself. The emails were pretty angry, but as I said on another thread the guest is the kind of listener - one that needs a lot of help and encouragement - that Radio 3 is trying to attract. If he can be welcomed and reassured, they will be too.

That's the idea, but those who don't need the kind of basic introduction are just marginalised.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Actually, Richard Bacon was seeking contextual information, not welcome and reassurance.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                              Actually, Richard Bacon was seeking contextual information, not welcome and reassurance.

I felt more it was welcome to and reassurance in the world of classical music - I don't know if it was stage managed but he seemed to me to respond to the suggestions as I would have done a dozen years ago. The theory I suppose is that if R3 is to grow or at least maintain its audience level it must attract 30/40 year olds meandering away from, for want of a better term, pop.
                              Whilst I doubt it would appeal to the vast majority of our congregation I feel the theory may have some merit....

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

I felt more it was welcome to and reassurance in the world of classical music
                                Exactly, I wasn't suggesting it was either/or!
                                I don't know if it was stage managed but he seemed to me to respond to the suggestions as I would have done a dozen years ago.
                                He was given the pieces (on Spotify) to listen to in advance, which is probably more 'sensible' than 'stage-managed'.
                                The theory I suppose is that if R3 is to grow or at least maintain its audience level it must attract 30/40 year olds meandering away from, for want of a better term, pop.
                                That bit of the theory I would agree with, and I find no fault (though haven't yet listened - but will) with the RB progs. It's the idea that swathes of the daytime schedule are focused on attracting this audience, to the exclusion of educating/challenging/stretching the rest of the audience.

The audiences that will approve most of the programme are those who either find them set at their own level or who have more of a mission to instruct others than to learn themselves and extend their knowledge.

R3/the BBC seems to divide audiences in two: those who know about classical music (aka 'experts') and those who know little or nothing, and the education/informing mission is focused 90% on the second group. Besides CotW (1 hour a day with frequent repeats) and perhaps Hear & Now (once a week), there are the concerts and recitals which are still focused on the quite-to-very familiar.

Comment

Working...
                                X