X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    An hour (or more ) of Discovering Music with different presenters introducing a different work, its history, its place in the canon, various recordings, etc. Needn't be chronological (Goodall already did that). With a section at the end: if you liked that, perhaps try this i.e. avenues to explore.

Could add a playlist of recordings available on streaming sites for listeners to use. Feedback could be followed up in a separate show - not 'live' Tweets, but collated feedback, with learned souls on hand to answer listeners' questions.
    You are Roger Wright and I claim my €5

Comment

• Stan Drews
      • Dec 2010

Maybe not the best thread for this, but I always enjoy hearing the Ryba Czech Christmas Mass; not great music but cheerful and makes me smile. Actually, I thought that this morning's programme wasn't too bad until, while posting this, the Hely-Hutchinson mish-mash came on and wiped the smile away.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Stan Drews View Post
        Maybe not the best thread for this, but I always enjoy hearing the Ryba Czech Christmas Mass; not great music but cheerful and makes me smile. Actually, I thought that this morning's programme wasn't too bad until, while posting this, the Hely-Hutchinson mish-mash came on and wiped the smile away.
        So once a year that Hely-Hutchinson piece is not too bad at all IMO

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

....and IMHO too and serves as a timely reminder not to turn the heating off in the next '47 storm.......

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stan Drews View Post
            And let's not forget the Hely-Hutchinson is a favourite on CFM.
            (And the Dukas which got yet another airing. )
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              You heard a Russell Grant 'interview'. I heard the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped. Or of a grave being dug for Radio 3, with Rob Cowan like the High Priest, with his desperate attempts to swing the conversation back round to music seeming increasingly banal.

I am too weary to write and complain because it only results in the receipt of an automated response, which makes me yet more weary.

Weltschmerz, thy name is Thropplenoggin.
              Just tuned in for 60 seconds - a complete idiot seems to be 'guesting' this week, never heard of him and he seemed to be revelling in being an ignoramus. Dont need it.

Ed Reardon Mode: Activated
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Just tuned in for 60 seconds - a complete idiot seems to be 'guesting' this week, never heard of him and he seemed to be revelling in being an ignoramus. Dont need it.

Ed Reardon Mode: Activated
                I've just had an email about it (from someone who read the Sunday Telegraph article). He wrote: "I am currently 'listening' to an appalling piece of broadcasting where Tim Vine is showing off his lack of musical knowledge, so why is he on at all?"

Answer is that the theory goes that people with 'musical knowledge' intimidate the potential new listeners. A comedian (?) with a merry quip about his ignorance is very reassuring.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  It's a delightful tueful cheery Christmassy work - I love it.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

They really are scraping the barrel with this unfunny 'comedian'.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I've just had an email about it (from someone who read the Sunday Telegraph article). He wrote: "I am currently 'listening' to an appalling piece of broadcasting where Tim Vine is showing off his lack of musical knowledge, so why is he on at all?"

Answer is that the theory goes that people with 'musical knowledge' intimidate the potential new listeners. A comedian (?) with a merry quip about his ignorance is very reassuring.
                      Once again I say - ditch the celebs, ditch the gimmicks and let's have CDM back.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

I'm really quite appalled by this guy! Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have Tim Vine on the show? Someone should tell him HE'S NOT FUNNY...

You can hear poor Sarah squirming.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Once again I say - ditch the celebs, ditch the gimmicks and let's have CDM back.
                          It's unfortunate that the listening figures for this programme, compared with CDM, are a closely guarded BBC secret: it falls within the category of 'journalism, art and literature' (though how any of these are involved is a moot point) and is exempt under the Freedom of Information Act.

What I have managed to glean from the very few figures I have 'discovered' is that CDM had more listeners than Classical Collection (in fact, more than Breakfast has been getting lately, even though it is both longer and goes out at peaktime); hence the further popularisation of Essential Classics.

The rub was that CDM had the wrong kind of listeners.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Mrs. PG and I did a lot of driving last week and always seemed to be in the car during Rob Cowen's 'guest spot' and I have to say that I thought Sandi Toksvig was an excellent guest. She was witty, engaging and very knowledgeable about music. I was clear that Rob was enjoying her company.

Comment

• Black Swan

I listened for a whole 5 minutes while driving this morning.
                              That supposed celebrity guest was going on about how composers should name their works aft something, like a Tree in the Wind. He complained Mozart didn't very often. He is totally the absolute bottom of the barrel.

I woulds say I'd given up, but I did that long ago. Thank god, I have a CD player in my car.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

It shames me to say I heard it all .......bottom of the barrel is being too fair.......have they no quality control of any kind??

Comment

Working...
                                X