X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I don't know if this has been commented on before, but I find SW's use of the word 'there' most irksome, e.g.

Fred Bloggs THERE playing Beethoven

The Chipping Sodbury Philharmonic THERE, etc, etc

Once you've noticed it, you want to scream.
    There there.

sod it, missed the CSP again.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

I hate it when SW announces " X on clarinet" or "Y on piano", as if they were playing jazz in a club.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        I hate it when SW announces " X on clarinet" or "Y on piano", as if they were playing jazz in a club.
        I don't know if this has been commented on before, but I find SW's use of the word 'there' most irksome, e.g.

Fred Bloggs THERE playing Beethoven

The Chipping Sodbury Philharmonic THERE, etc, etc

Once you've noticed it, you want to scream.
        Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        She is generally irksome IMO . She sounds like she is auditioning for the Masterchef voiceover most of the time .
        I'll see each of you on this and raise you: "Now time for my artist of the week". Oh yeah, you're their patron are you????

Or

"I really love this piece. Listen out for the [instrument] solo in the slow movement".

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

I know it's the wrong thread but we do tend to treat them as interchangeable - has anyone any views to our new young lady's first two weeks, or perhaps more to the point has anybody listened?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            "I really love this piece. Listen out for the [instrument] solo in the slow movement".
            - and, even worse, IMO - "Just listen to the [instrument] solo in the slow movement": as if the rest of the essential performance can tick away in the background whilst you do something more worthwhile like clipping your toenails! and thrice
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I'll see each of you on this and raise you: "Now time for my artist of the week".
              Oh quite

Dreadful posh guest this week... "I can only stay in my stately home for three weeks at a time, I have to come up to London, any longer than that and it's just too preoccupying... "

How did I know that SW's choice for her would be some soupy, trite thing for cello.

And how did I know that the reaction would involve the word "charming"

Awful, predictable tosh this week, I'm afraid.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                How did I know that SW's choice for her would be some soupy, trite thing for cello.

You've just reminded me of a phrase I hate with a passion: "Your personal shopper". 'nuff said.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

You've just reminded me of a phrase I hate with a passion: "Your personal shopper". 'nuff said.
                  Esp when wrongly used as this morning when the piece was described as "your personal shopper". Huh?!

And another thing...

On Wednesday, there's something called "Lucky Dip" - a piece that bears no relation to one of the various 'themes for the week'... That warrants its own description?!

JUST PLAY THE ******** MUSIC FOR ***** ***** *****************'s SAKE!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Esp when wrongly used as this morning when the piece was described as "your personal shopper". Huh?!

And another thing...

On Wednesday, there's something called "Lucky Dip" - a piece that bears no relation to one of the various 'themes for the week'... That warrants its own description?!

JUST PLAY THE ******** MUSIC FOR ***** ***** *****************'s SAKE!

I thought I heard "personal chopper"!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      - and, even worse, IMO - "Just listen to the [instrument] solo in the slow movement": as if the rest of the essential performance can tick away in the background whilst you do something more worthwhile like clipping your toenails! and thrice
                      It almost makes one look foward to the boring, uninspired bits...

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Now time for my artist of the week
                        There seems to be a complete breakdown in the use of possessive pronouns. I just got a letter from E.ON saying, "Your prices are increasing and we're changing your tariff". OK, I'm willing to own up to the tariff, but MY PRICES???

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

I just got a letter from E.ON saying, "Your prices are increasing and we're changing your tariff". OK, I'm willing to own up to the tariff, but MY PRICES???
                          Write back to them and tell them you've changed your mind and you're lowering your prices instead.

-----

Seen near where I live: "Your new Aldi is opening". OK, if it's my Aldi I'll thank you for sending me a share of my profits each week.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I've just been doing my homework: listening to the celebrity guest spot on today's Essential Classics:

"Rob's guest this week is the astrologer and media personality, Russell Grant. Russell has written several books on Astrology and regularly provides newspaper horoscopes. He is best known for his appearances on radio (BBC Radio 2's Steve Wright in the Afternoon) and breakfast television shows such as This Morning with Richard and Judy, offering astrological advice. More recently, he has appeared in several reality television shows including Celebrity Fit Club, Kitchen Burnout and most notably, Strictly Come Dancing and its sister show, It Takes Two."

I tuned in to discover whether this would turn out to be unexpectedly enlightening: it was! The Prince Igor music ended and... "Let's talk about Strictly Come Dancing." And they did. So that's a nice promo for the BBC. The ad for digital radio is the same (virtually) as the one I hear on Kiss FM in the gym.

Before SCD, they were talking about Russell's grandmother's Alzheimer's - in case you missed the prog and would like to hear it. I don't think I have the will to listen to yesterday's.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I've just been doing my homework: listening to the celebrity guest spot on today's Essential Classics:

"Rob's guest this week is the astrologer and media personality, Russell Grant. Russell has written several books on Astrology and regularly provides newspaper horoscopes. He is best known for his appearances on radio (BBC Radio 2's Steve Wright in the Afternoon) and breakfast television shows such as This Morning with Richard and Judy, offering astrological advice. More recently, he has appeared in several reality television shows including Celebrity Fit Club, Kitchen Burnout and most notably, Strictly Come Dancing and its sister show, It Takes Two."

I tuned in to discover whether this would turn out to be unexpectedly enlightening: it was! The Prince Igor music ended and... "Let's talk about Strictly Come Dancing." And they did. So that's a nice promo for the BBC. The ad for digital radio is the same (virtually) as the one I hear on Kiss FM in the gym.

Before SCD, they were talking about Russell's grandmother's Alzheimer's - in case you missed the prog and would like to hear it. I don't think I have the will to listen to yesterday's.
                              I dipped in and out of today's EC while fetching and carrying in the car. Apart from the usual commonplace playlist material -Orpheus in the Underworld, Firebird, Ravel's Introduction and Allegro - the moment I finally switched off was on hearing Russell Grant describing his heart "having little wings and flying away" on hearing a Purcell piece.

Everything, but everything, on the BBC is now designed to plug another programme. It can be done subtly such as a piece is played by a certain performer and that performer "will be with Sean this evening on In Tune" or it can be done utterly shamefacedly as in puffing SCD on EC through the use of Russell Grant. Or it can be the squirmingly awful titter-fest that is Derham and Rafferty. Take your pick.

By the bye I see the Afternoon on 3 programmes are headed thus: "Katie Derham continues her week-long celebration of the human voice." I think that should be "the week-long celebration" should it not?
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• AndyJW
                                • Jan 2011

I heard, unfortunately, part of the Russell Grant interview today. He wasn't even in the same studio, the sound quality was different and it sounded very 'edited' All about his encounter with the Queen Mother - vomit making!!! Shouldn't be allowed.

Comment

Working...
                                X