X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    There should be an equivalent for pseudo philosophers to that well known company motto: "Miracles we can do; the impossible takes a little longer".

"The obvious we can tell you; platitudes take a little longer to fabricate"?

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      There should be an equivalent for pseudo philosophers to that well known company motto: "Miracles we can do; the impossible takes a little longer".

"The obvious we can tell you; platitudes take a little longer to fabricate"?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

I distinctly remember hearing a presenter announce yesterday ahead of JEG's performance of the Mass in B Minor that this officially marked the end of Baroque Spring. Imagine my unsurprise to see Sarah Walker breaking free of the R3 baroque mandate by choosing Telemann's Wind Concertos as her Essential CD of the Week!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

ah but .... actually it took me back to when i sailed the oceans noggins with a little cassette player and the collected performances of a certain Frans Bruggen on cassettes ... shame that the producer did not go looking for Bruggen .... his recorder work is sometimes very patchily supplied ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            ah but .... actually it took me back to when i sailed the oceans noggins with a little cassette player and the collected performances of a certain Frans Bruggen on cassettes ... shame that the producer did not go looking for Bruggen .... his recorder work is sometimes very patchily supplied ....
            I like the thought of being in a berth on the high seas with BrĂĽggen's recorder-playing as a soundtrack. (Actually, the above record made my ears twitch in a good way. )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

The juxtaposition this morning of

Ballet Suite from Aida
              Performers: Boston Pops Orchestra, Arthur Fiedler (conductor)

with

Tannhauser: Prelude & Venusberg Music
              Performers: London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati (conductor)

brought home to me that Wagner was ten times the composer Verdi was....

Or perhaps the LSO/Dorati were ten times the performers the BPO/Fiedler were...?

Just sayin'....

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

I see Rob's totally unessential CD of the week is yet another excuse to bring out the same old warhorses.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  I see Rob's totally unessential CD of the week is yet another excuse to bring out the same old warhorses.
                  Il Giardino Armonico...? oh come, come! There's hardly been a glut of baroque lately...

Has there?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Ah, and looking through today's essential playlist, I'm fairly sure that the Grieg slipped in on Saturday Breakfast (and which I couldn't remember when I mentioned it on the Breakfast thread) was ... Solveig's Song
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

Sorry Cali I meant the Unessential Artist of the week, I'm sure HvK made more interesting recordings that the handful of exhausted warhorses presented this week.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I think you could be right cali, re LSO/Dorati v Boston Pops/Fieldler!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          brought home to me that Wagner was ten times the composer Verdi was....
                          A great, great Verdi extract just now....Verdi at his best goes to the heart of the human condition

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Surprised no one has commented on the excellent Sir John Tusa, who has had much sense to speak all week concerning music and the arts.

Listen from the 1hr 54 mins 30s point: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rr8tm
                            Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 12-04-13, 11:24.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              A great, great Verdi extract just now....Verdi at his best goes to the heart of the human condition
                              Actually I heard that too... and thought that sung like that (B Christoff Esq. ), it was pretty gripping!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                                Surprised no one has commented on the excellent Sir John Tusa, who has had much sense to speak all week concerning music and the arts.
                                - Tusa always gives good value; and I loved the way he was so pleased by Rob Cowan's choice of an aria from Dvorak's St Ludmilla - Cowan also at his best in this company and with this repertoire.

The trouble is, for every Tusa, there's week after week of guests who don't have much of interest to say about anything.

But you're absolutely right of course to give Tusa the credit he's due here.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X