• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    I except The Planets and TYPGTTO from my sweeping generalisation,
    ... and Gustavus Theodore von Holst was after all largely Swedish / Latvian / German - and the best bits of The Young Person's Guide are by Purcell...

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

2 hours 32 mins in so 11.02 ish

now it’s Shirley Bassey and Goldfinger

this is a very weird experience..
      To go with Goldfinger, here's Donald M's attempt at being a Bond villain - somehow, I don't think Donald P's Blofeld need worry

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... and Gustavus Theodore von Holst was after all largely Swedish / Latvian / German - and the best bits of The Young Person's Guide are by Purcell...

From the listings, EC also had a bit of Carver. Would you include him or Fayrfax, Johnson, Ludford, Browne, Taverner...?

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

From the listings, EC also had a bit of Carver. Would you include him or Fayrfax, Johnson, Ludford, Browne, Taverner...?
          ... happily - all of them

( ... o yes, and Osbert Parsley - and Leonel Power, obvs.)

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

SM-P tried to justify the inclusion of Ysaye's arrangement of Yankee Doodle in a part of the Map devoted to Welsh music on the grounds that the first few notes of a piece by Grace Williams sound very similar to the opening of the former.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=smittims;n1316252]Did they play all of it? I ask because I switched on at about five to ten and heard the first movement of Elgar's Quintet. That's odd, I thought, the whole work lasts aboiut 35 minutes and they usually stop at ten o'clock for some inane chat. Of course, they played only the first movement.[/QUOTE]

What, all of it?

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

You rest your case.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  SM-P tried to justify the inclusion of Ysaye's arrangement of Yankee Doodle in a part of the Map devoted to Welsh music on the grounds that the first few notes of a piece by Grace Williams sound very similar to the opening of the former.

I wonder if Donald Macleod mentioned it in the Grace Williams COTWs?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....are they all tremendous types of tractor or are we still speaking of music??....I liked the Carver (which sounds more like a high class car)....
                    bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Drat. These posts have reminded me that I wanted to listen to COTW this week as it's Byrd(repeat doesn't matter), but since it moved from midday(and I switch off after Breakfast) it's not on my internal clock anymore.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Drat. These posts have reminded me that I wanted to listen to COTW this week as it's Byrd(repeat doesn't matter), but since it moved from midday(and I switch off after Breakfast) it's not on my internal clock anymore.
                        A little bird tells me it can be found here:

Donald Macleod explores the tangle of relationships, duties and ideas surrounding Byrd.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

As yet no Moeran or indeed Britten but this undisputed masterpiece in a very fine recording

Michael Tippett Concerto for double string orchestra

Orchestra: BBC Symphony Orchestra. Conductor: Sir Andrew Davis.
                          • TELDEC.
                          Excellent version....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

I mentioned earlier in a post the significant British composers not played by about 13,00 today . One was Alexander Goehr . Sadly his death was announced today. Radio 3 have just played two of his pieces - needless to say of vastly greater quality than much of the music played so far.

An absolute giant in the British music scene as composer and academic - so many people had their careers launched by him . Julian Anderson has just paid handsome tribute on In Tune.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

A little bird tells me it can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001n815
                              Unfortunately said little bird can't also provide the necessary bits for me to take advantage of that.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

I mentioned earlier in a post the significant British composers not played by about 13,00 today . One was Alexander Goehr . Sadly his death was announced today. Radio 3 have just played two of his pieces - needless to say of vastly greater quality than much of the music played so far.

An absolute giant in the British music scene as composer and academic - so many people had their careers launched by him . Julian Anderson has just paid handsome tribute on In Tune.
                                A mere footnote, but he was also a Friend of Radio 3 (as in FoR3). I had a long letter from him which ended: "I hope you can use some of this (not the 1st paragraph!)" - which was somewhat barbed.

He once described the imagined Third Programme listener as " ... a hardworking, Labour-voting schoolmaster in, say, Derby, who was interested in international theatre, new music, philosophy, politics and painting, and who listened selectively to all these things on the Third. That's what everyone believed in."

Welcome to Essential Classics.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X