X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Quite! However, having reached the stage of my life in which circumstances dictate a steady lowering of expectations, I probably find it less difficult than some others to live with most of the changes that are occurring, or being imposed, on the station.
    Did you get a mention today? I didn't...it was therefore a terrible dummed-down waste of time!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I agree that the marketeers have taken over . But Reith in fact hated the idea of the Third Programme as he thought it would ring face high culture from the majority audience.
      He was right in that as it turned out, but if the mainstream services had still been covering it adequately no one would have been excluded. But, first corral high culture into a single space - then relentlessly reduce it and diminish the intellectual demands: that wasn't what was intended by Haley's BBC. There was a glimmer of understanding of this at the old BBC Trust which agreed that it should not be left to Radio 3 to purvey 'high culture' to the nation.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Did you get a mention today? I didn't...it was therefore a terrible dummed-down waste of time!
        I didn't contribute a suggestion today.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

And so for the fifth time this month we have Greig’s Wedding at Troullhagen - including an entire Music Map built on the threadbare link of wedding music. Aren’t there any other 19th lyric pieces they can schedule -it’s getting ridiculous?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Next it will be The Archers theme tune...

dum de dum de dum de dum

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Haven't you heard? Barwick Green was dumbed-down long ago . Listen to the current version and see if you like it. I think it's an atrocity, though I shan't be surprisd to hear that someone won an 'award' for it. . Ironically, it its present form the melody resembles Wally Stott's skilful parody in the 'Bowmans' episode of 'Hancock'.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                Haven't you heard? Barwick Green was dumbed-down long ago . Listen to the current version and see if you like it. I think it's an atrocity, though I shan't be surprisd to hear that someone won an 'award' for it. . Ironically, it its present form the melody resembles Wally Stott's skilful parody in the 'Bowmans' episode of 'Hancock'.
                Mmm - had to look that one up - not an Archers fan myself.

Here's one for the folkies:

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Mmm - had to look that one up - not an Archers fan myself.

Here's one for the folkies:

The trailer which now marks the end of TTN informs us that EC will help prepare us to face the rigours of the day. Apart from the implication that Breakfast doesn't do much for our peace of mind, I would have thought that 9.30 was a bit late to start this calming process.
                  Last edited by LMcD; 11-07-24, 07:33.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

It depends on your schedule. Edward Clark, one-time BBC stalwart, was rarely out and about before midday. Me, I face the rigours of the day at about 4.15 am with a strong coffee an Kellogg's corn flakes. , Billy has a dish of Felix and goes off to inspect his territory. So Through the Night is my listening at that time.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Information please.Today or yesterday I overheard a radio as I was walking along a .street - I assume Radio3, and Essential Classics, going by the time AM. The music was Mussorgsky's The Song Of the Flea, I don't think it was Boris Kristoff. I heard enough to recognise the tune and a great bass voice. Anton, I'm sure you at least can help me to identify the performance. It is an old favourite but I have not heard it for years and then it was Boris Kristoff. Thanks, if anyone knows the answer.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                        Information please.Today or yesterday I overheard a radio as I was walking along a .street - I assume Radio3, and Essential Classics, going by the time AM. The music was Mussorgsky's The Song Of the Flea, I don't think it was Boris Kristoff. I heard enough to recognise the tune and a great bass voice. Anton, I'm sure you at least can help me to identify the performance. It is an old favourite but I have not heard it for years and then it was Boris Kristoff. Thanks, if anyone knows the answer.
                        Today's playlist gives the details:

Modest Mussorgsky

Mephistopheles' Song of the Flea (Blokha)

Performer: David Willison. Lyricist: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Singer: Benjamin Luxon.
                        • MUSSORGSKY: SONGS AND DANCES OF DEATH; SUNLESS.
                        • DECCA MUSIC GROUP LTD..

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Today's playlist gives the details:

Modest Mussorgsky

Mephistopheles' Song of the Flea (Blokha)

Performer: David Willison. Lyricist: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Singer: Benjamin Luxon.
                          • MUSSORGSKY: SONGS AND DANCES OF DEATH; SUNLESS.
                          • DECCA MUSIC GROUP LTD..
                          That was quick, Pulcinella. Many thanks. I found the item, about (1.48 in on the link) sung this time by another admired singer.

In return I enclose a translation, and a few interesting details, all of which have added to my own enjoyment of the song.

ahem , , , An English Adaptation of Mephistopheles' Song of the Flea From Faust

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Good to see the Performer, Lyricist and Singer credited
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Seems to be British Music Day on R3 .
                              I don’t know who the first trumpet was on this but they were sensational . And very forward in the balance.

William Walton Orb and Sceptre Performer: Noel Rawsthorne. Orchestra: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor: Sir Charles Groves.
                              • EMI.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                Seems to be British Music Day on R3 .[/LIST]
                                A day-long 'British Music Map' masterminded by Sara Mohr-Pietsch.

Comment

Working...
                                X