X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    Switched on in the car this morning, to catch a very strange 'disjointed' performance of the Pastoral. Luckily I arrived before having to hear the presenter.

I see from the schedule it was the Zurich Tonhalle under Zinman.
    that wasn't how they trailed it yesterday !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      that wasn't how they trailed it yesterday !!
      How was it trailed? I've just checked, that's how it was announced.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

it wasn't trailed as a " Very strange disjointed version of the Pastoral "!

I wish it had been, I would have cancelled something and tuned in.

(sounds like something MrGG might champion, !)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

I'm not musically qualified to analyse what I felt in a technical sense, but the phrases didn't sound as smoothly blended together as usual, as if the musical blocks weren't being joined up. It was about the middle of the work, before and then into the 'village band' section.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Did mine ears deceive me or did I just hear "F**k art, let's dance!" thrice on Essential Classics from today's guest?

Now that was classic!

Poor Rob, scrabbling to apologise for the Australian lout he'd invited on. Well, he is a barrister, so such improprieties were to be expected, of course.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Well, he is a barrister, so such improprieties were to be expected, of course.

Speaking as a non-barrister, of course.

Very smooth, ain't he? If one were being mean, one might almost say he loves the sound of his own voice. Surprised he didn't choose, Schwarzkopf-style, 8 records of himself telling anecdotes...

Obviously his rates were too high to get him to the studio - is he really on the phone? (Missed the start, is he in Aus or something?)
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 18-02-13, 16:37.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I missed the start too but was pleased to hear a bitof G&S Trial by Jury- which I prefer tothe others as the dialogue seems a bit creaky these days, and'Trial' ofcourse dispenses with the spokenn word.

And I have a good friend, now 92, who is a retired barrister and he is Welsh,lovely, and wouldn't dream of using such language.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  If one were being mean, one might almost say he loves the sound of his own voice
                  That was the first thought that went through my head.
                  Steve

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

(Missed the start, is he is Aus or something?)
                    Dual nationality apparently, married to the salty Ms Kathy Lette. He it was who pointed out the other day that as an ex-Head of State the pope would no longer have immunity from prosecution. The pope must have had this pointed out to him as he apparently intends to spend the remainder of his days inside the Vatican, where the writ-servers won't be able to get at him.

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

If one were being mean, one might almost say he loves the sound of his own voice. Surprised he didn't choose, Schwarzkopf-style, 8 records of himself telling anecdotes...
                      Missed it. Are you talking about the member who once played foxtrots for Victor Silvestri on Bournemouth pier?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Dual nationality apparently, married to the salty Ms Kathy Lette
                        Yes, I mistyped, I meant to wonder if he was actually in Australia - hence the phone call.

I once sat next to Ms Lette at a dinner at an academic institution, she set the table on a roar by enquiring of the octogenarian professor on the other side of her what time of day he preferred having sex. (FWIW early afternoon was the answer...).

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          Did mine ears deceive me or did I just hear "F**k art, let's dance!" thrice on Essential Classics from today's guest?

Now that was classic!

Poor Rob, scrabbling to apologise for the Australian lout he'd invited on. Well, he is a barrister, so such improprieties were to be expected, of course.
                          Probably for the first time ever, the Listen Again is marked 'Parental Guidance' (hover over the Essential Classics pic).
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Probably for the first time ever, the Listen Again is marked 'Parental Guidance' (hover over the Essential Classics pic).
                            I wonder what profanities will be unleashed tomorrow.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Presumably we can expect, for instance, Chopin's Fourth Ballade in Effin' Minor...

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

just listening to this guest spot - I don't think we're going to hear much music this week - he's quite a windbag

Comment

Working...
                                X