Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

To hear some of these comments you’d think she was undergoing a probationary period to be assessed by the Forum. No she’s presenting a radio programme - like it and listen or apply the off switch. I don’t think her presentation style will offend but I will switch off if I’m doing something else or if the music played is not to my liking - does anyone here listen to the full three hours every morning?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      To hear some of these comments you’d think she was undergoing a probationary period to be assessed by the Forum
      That strikes me as an important part of the forum's appeal! Pass an opinion, and then wait to see what happens …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        That strikes me as an important part of the forum's appeal! Pass an opinion, and then wait to see what happens …
        Yes and most can manage football teams and deliver far better performances from the rostrum than most conductors internationally!

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

To hear some of these comments you’d think she was undergoing a probationary period to be assessed by the Forum. No she’s presenting a radio programme - like it and listen or apply the off switch. I don’t think her presentation style will offend but I will switch off if I’m doing something else or if the music played is not to my liking - does anyone here listen to the full three hours every morning?
          In some respects it's both those. Yes it is just a radio programme, but she is replacing(not her fault) a very well known and liked presenter who was removed for no good reason that anyone can see, and as such may take a while to bed in.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=oddoneout;841843]In some respects it's both those. Yes it is just a radio programme, but she is replacing(not her fault) a very well known and liked presenter who was removed for no good reason that anyone can see, and as such may take a while to bed in.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, it took her about 28.77 seconds. While she's not a miracle worker, she does help one to intermittently forget (but not forgive) the programme's continuing lack of an overall structure and purpose.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Yes I do . Today I find it a soothing experience while doing my annual accounts ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                Yes I do . Today I find it a soothing experience while doing my annual accounts ...
                You can count on her then.

(I'll get me coat...)

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  You can count on her then.

(I'll get me coat...)
                  If she could telepathically locate my gift aid receipts for the Royal Opera House I would greatly appreciate it. For some reason I don’t think they issue them (your honour)

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    ...... and Skellers didn’t “ ... fit the bill in every respect .... “ ....... ??????
                    I know I'm in a minority here, but I really don't think he did, in the most important respect - knowing his music. His tastes struck me as very narrow and dilettante; and he recently sniggeringly approved of a listener making some cheap and facile joke about Birtwistle.

I'm no great fan of Georgia Mann, but she does know her stuff (apart from a blind spot over the pronunciation of 'theorbo').

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                      I know I'm in a minority here, but I really don't think he did, in the most important respect - knowing his music. His tastes struck me as very narrow and dilettante; and he recently sniggeringly approved of a listener making some cheap and facile joke about Birtwistle.

I'm no great fan of Georgia Mann, but she does know her stuff (apart from a blind spot over the pronunciation of 'theorbo').
                      I'm afraid I don't know that much about music either so perhaps that's why it didn't bother me? I just enjoyed listening to his selections, which often included things unfamiliar to me, and to him, and he had the advantage of being a complete contrast to SK.
                      Given the ludicrous ideas that "they" have come up with recently I am relieved that Georgia is taking his place - the "refreshing" excuse could have thrown up a real horror.
                      And in answer to Cloughie earlier, yes I do listen to the whole 3 hours - most mornings the past year or so as no work either paid or voluntary, but even in 'normal' times several days a week. I also listen to the afternoon and evening concerts, just to skew the audience make-up assumptions...

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Good to hear ‘Hoedown’ this morning - Not heard it for a while - John Wilson does a good job!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Good to hear ‘Hoedown’ this morning - Not heard it for a while - John Wilson does a good job!
                          Has it 'got that swing'.or is it the usual Wilson '4 square'?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Has it 'got that swing'.or is it the usual Wilson '4 square'?
                            Thank goodness. I thought it was just me, so universal is the admiration for Wilson.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              Thank goodness. I thought it was just me, so universal is the admiration for Wilson.
                              Certainly not just you.
                              I couldn't understand the abundance of adulation for his Copland recordings (and I wasn't that taken with the recent French Escales and the Respighi Roman trilogy, for that matter) either.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Certainly not just you.
                                I couldn't understand the abundance of adulation for his Copland recordings (and I wasn't that taken with the recent French Escales and the Respighi Roman trilogy, for that matter) either.
                                Munch for Escales, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X