X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Tony was live on EC just now. It goes without saying that it was very good. .
    There, I’ve said it .

And that probably concludes todays good news stories........
    I didn't realise Tony Benn had ever been recorded singing!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Tony was live on EC just now.
      Antonio Vivaldi was live? Couldn't resist checking how Ian coped with Geirr Tveitt. I think I caught the hint of a t on the end of Geirr followed by a slight pause, but otherwise …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Antonio Vivaldi was live? Couldn't resist checking how Ian coped with Geirr Tveitt. I think I caught the hint of a t on the end of Geirr followed by a slight pause, but otherwise …
        Well, much, much better then the top DuckDuckGo hit: https://www.howtopronounce.com/geirr-tveitt

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Well, much, much better then the top DuckDuckGo hit: https://www.howtopronounce.com/geirr-tveitt
          Why do they do that? If they haven't a clue how a name is pronounced, why do they offer a 'how it looks' pronunciation? (Same with the Pontcysyllte aqueduct: Poncey-silt ) A study all of its own.

Yes, if Ian had run first name and second name together, he'd have been fine, but he hesitated.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Why do they do that? If they haven't a clue how a name is pronounced, why do they offer a 'how it looks' pronunciation? (Same with the Pontcysyllte aqueduct: Poncey-silt ) A study all of its own. . . .

Just sent a link to your message to an old poly friend from Ruabon.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Just sent a link to your message to an old poly friend from Ruabon.
              Have we pronounced this wrong? Teach everybody how you say it using the comments below!!Looking to learn English? Get the best deals on English courses at ht...

Four different people, two women and two blokes pronouncing it like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzFzhU4rdM Why?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Poncey-silt
                "I wouldn't allow any of that in my goldfish pond" said the man with the "Vote Trump" badge.

Comment

• Call me Al_an
                  • Nov 2020

Whoever planned yesterday's Essential Classics is stirring up our memories of that 1980s wonder, The Adventure Game. Moira Stewart, Lesley Judd ... aspidistras. The show had it all!

Why else would they play, in succession, the Caurlli and the Grieg Norwegian dance - orchestrated for brass? They were the theme tunes for series one and two! You remember now, right?

All of which evidently went right under the radar of the most lofty Ian 'never owned a television' Skelly.

Thanks! Whoever you are :- )

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Call me Al_an View Post
                    ..... the most lofty Ian 'never owned a television' Skelly. .......
                    One of Radio Rentals few remaining customers ..... ??????

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      "I wouldn't allow any of that in my goldfish pond" said the man with the "Vote Trump" badge.
                      He needed something to carp about!

Comment

• Call me Al_an
                        • Nov 2020

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Call me Al_an View Post
                          Whoever planned yesterday's Essential Classics is stirring up our memories of that 1980s wonder, The Adventure Game. Moira Stewart, Lesley Judd ... aspidistras. The show had it all!

Why else would they play, in succession, the Caurlli and the Grieg Norwegian dance - orchestrated for brass? They were the theme tunes for series one and two! You remember now, right?

All of which evidently went right under the radar of the most lofty Ian 'never owned a television' Skelly.

Thanks! Whoever you are :- )
                          I'm old enough to remember when that Grieg Norwegian Dance was the theme to a TV adaptation of 'The Railway Children'...

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                            I'm old enough to remember when that Grieg Norwegian Dance was the theme to a TV adaptation of 'The Railway Children'...
                            Actually, I'm wrong, it wasn't that Norwegian Dance but another one.

Sadly, I'm also old enough for my memory to play tricks.....

Comment

• Call me Al_an
                              • Nov 2020

The 1968 one?

You can hear it here:
                              The first episode of the classic BBC TV serial starring Jenny Agutter.YouTube have turned off the comments, not me. (WB May 2021)

It is a nice theme.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                                Actually, I'm wrong, it wasn't that Norwegian Dance but another one.

Sadly, I'm also old enough for my memory to play tricks.....
                                Now my memory may be playing the tricks but I think it was the Symphonic Dance Op64/2 - and a beautiful piece of music. I hadn’t read #4079 which confirms it!

Comment

Working...
                                X