X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    KD has been pretty well regular on and off In Tune for a few weeks and made those days more or less unlistenable to IMO.
    bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      I regard EA's slots as another chance to extend my education - a chance to hear music I would otherwise not come across - which is part of the wider place of R3 in my life. I don't have to like a particular piece, but the much disliked snippet/fillet format of the morning schedules means that something else will come along shortly. My difficulty with her is her voice - I have difficulty for some reason making out the spoken word (for much of my life, so not the fault of advancing age!) at the best of the times, and her muffled (is the best way I can put it) delivery I find particularly hard to interpret.
      Has Katie D been on R3 at all in recent months? I don't seem to have heard her, and I have the radio on for much of the day everyday; perhaps I've just been lucky...
      ........so you have had a life free from GUSH recently....you must have saved yourself a great deal of energy [and accidents] flying across the room to hit the off button....
      bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ........so you have had a life free from GUSH recently....you must have saved yourself a great deal of energy [and accidents] flying across the room to hit the off button....
        Well not entirely free, as SK is guilty as well rather more often than I find necessary or acceptable. But I now have a remote device to reduce damage to life and limb when the off/mute is needed, mostly for 'editing' trails...

Comment

• peterthekeys
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
          2:2 here from the same place Peter, and I’m almost certain that you are from Silsden! Do correct me if I’m wrong....
          Sorry - just seen this. Yes, you are correct! (Originally from Devon, but have been in Silsden for most of the last forty years.)

In the '70s, when I was there, it was "Huddersfield School of Music". I recently noticed that there's nothing on the PolytechnicxxxxxxxxxxUniversity web site to acknowledge that it was ever anything other than the "department of music". Very remiss in my view, given the School's fierce struggle to prevent assimilation by the Polytechnic (the tale of the impromptu performance by the massed orchestral forces of the "1812 Overture" and Shostakovich 5 outside the central services building, in order to disrupt a crucial meeting, is something which should be preserved. Unfortunately I missed the actual event by about a year.).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
            Sorry - just seen this. Yes, you are correct! (Originally from Devon, but have been in Silsden for most of the last forty years.)

In the '70s, when I was there, it was "Huddersfield School of Music". I recently noticed that there's nothing on the PolytechnicxxxxxxxxxxUniversity web site to acknowledge that it was ever anything other than the "department of music". Very remiss in my view, given the School's fierce struggle to prevent assimilation by the Polytechnic (the tale of the impromptu performance by the massed orchestral forces of the "1812 Overture" and Shostakovich 5 outside the central services building, in order to disrupt a crucial meeting, is something which should be preserved. Unfortunately I missed the actual event by about a year.).
            Shostakovitch 7 would have been the one I would have chosen.

Comment

• peterthekeys
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Shostakovitch 7 would have been the one I would have chosen.
              As I had the story from several students who had participated, they confined themselves to the last movement of Shostakovich 5, and played it in alternation with the "1812". The eventual ensemble consisted of every student who could play an orchestral instrument (there were about 20 trumpets), augmented by all the pianists, organists and singers, who had visited the percussion room and found something to hit. It was reported that the performances could be heard on the other side of Huddersfield. As hoped, the meeting came to a premature end. Apparently as the attendees exited the building, one of the suits commented: "Very nice!"

The fact that I missed it is one of my greatest regrets

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                As I had the story from several students who had participated, they confined themselves to the last movement of Shostakovich 5, and played it in alternation with the "1812". The eventual ensemble consisted of every student who could play an orchestral instrument (there were about 20 trumpets), augmented by all the pianists, organists and singers, who had visited the percussion room and found something to hit. It was reported that the performances could be heard on the other side of Huddersfield. As hoped, the meeting came to a premature end. Apparently as the attendees exited the building, one of the suits commented: "Very nice!"

The fact that I missed it is one of my greatest regrets
                Cressida Dick wouldn't allow it today!!!!!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I like Ian Skelly's programmes, and listened to all of yesterday's EC on a long drive. Somehow the music got increasingly on my nerves. My irritable part said "Too many screechy cellos, and wobbly sopranos' - but perhaps I was in a bad mood. Strange reaction.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

I like Ian Skelly's programmes, and listened to all of Tuesday's EC on a long drive. Somehow the music got increasingly on my nerves. My irritable part complained 'Too many screechy cellos, and wobbly sopranos' - a strange reaction.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      I like Ian Skelly's programmes, and listened to all of Tuesday's EC on a long drive. Somehow the music got increasingly on my nerves. My irritable part complained 'Too many screechy cellos, and wobbly sopranos' - a strange reaction.
                      I find that sometimes the particular sequence of music, for whatever reason, doesn't engage me. It's sometimes because I'm just feeling out of sorts in general or because as you found, the instruments/voices irritate. I have to say that now we are back to 'normal' with the constant interruptions from headlines and trails( Yes, funnily enough I already know there is a version of the Proms season on - Shut Up ...) I am finding myself more irritated/disappointed than before the lockdown version - which I liked.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

What is it about Suzy K that reminds me of the current Home Secretary?

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          What is it about Suzy K that reminds me of the current Home Secretary?
                          They're both short, bossy and NEVER wrong?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Plus I can’t listen to either...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              The smirk too.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                The smirk too.
                                Both Radio 3 and the Cabinet should become non-smirking environments.

Comment

Working...
                                X