Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

I wish they'd resurrect Brian Kay's Light Programme, there was some really good stuff. I've never understood what makes something 'light', surely pieces such as Elgar's Bavarian Dances and the Nursery Suite would fit, as would a lot of Malcolm Arnold?

There was a wonderful 5 CD box set called 'The Best of British Light Music' which was only an amazing £4.99. It's still around but rather more expensive.
    The Best of British Light Music. Resonance: CDRSB502. Buy download online. Royal Ballet Sinfonia, BBC Concert Orchestra, Gavin Sutherland, Barry Wordsworth

I discovered a lovely piece - Maurice Johnstone - Tarn Hows. Give it a listen if it's available somewhere.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

.... hmmm. All this talk of 'light music'.

Perhaps what we need might be a devoted station.

We might call it, "the Light Programme".

But since the BBC uses numbers, where will it be?

It's not quite 'Radio 3', is it? Perhaps 'Radio 2' is the answer...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

.... hmmm. All this talk of 'light music'.

Perhaps what we need might be a devoted station.

We might call it, "the Light Programme".

But since the BBC uses numbers, where will it be?

It's not quite 'Radio 3', is it? Perhaps 'Radio 2' is the answer...

The talk is of Radio 2 being one of the sacrifices should the BBC have to cave in to B*ris J*hnson's call for them to shoulder the costs of the license fee...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The talk is of Radio 2 being one of the sacrifices should the BBC have to cave in to B*ris J*hnson's call for them to shoulder the costs of the license fee...
          What I heard was that BBC Two, not Radio 2, was under threat.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I thought perhaps late 50s/early 60s for the reasons you mention. It did make me smile though because it was just the sort of thing my maternal grandparents would say, despite the fact they weren't really what one would call music lovers or ever listened to the Third Programme more than very occasionally. I always suspected that left to their own devices and away from disapproving peers and neighbours they would have chosen light music, and I think on occasion they allowed themselves G&S.
            It was a letter from Michael Rubinstein to the Times published on 2 June 1972. I am not sure if this was the music loving solicitor who represented Penguin Books in the Lady Chatterley trial ....

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Well they’d save a bit on Ball, Vine, Cox and Whiley!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Mebbe I misheard.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Well they’d save a bit on Ball, Vine, Cox and Whiley!
                  The first could have a ball, the second make wine, the third cider, and the fourth just whiley away their time.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    That's what I heard.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      That's what I heard.
                      It was BBC 2 that would be under threat. Radio 2 has the biggest audience of any radio station in the UK.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        It was BBC 2 that would be under threat. Radio 2 has the biggest audience of any radio station in the UK.
                        So they won't be getting rid of Radio 2 then, WILL they!!!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

So they won't be getting rid of Radio 2 then, WILL they!!!
                          Shame really - it used to be good but now, for the main part, it's a very poor purveyor of rather sub-standard pop music delivered by reject Radio 1 DJs. I suppose that like so many other things in life, age does you no favours!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Shame really - it used to be good but now, for the main part, it's a very poor purveyor of rather sub-standard pop music delivered by reject Radio 1 DJs. I suppose that like so many other things in life, age does you no favours!
                            I would say it's the other way round
                            Radio 2 used to be endless "sing something simple" ZZZZZZ and now has some things that are worth listening to IMV
                            Including Walton's viola concerto a couple of months ago

If anything needs to get the axe it's local radio

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Radio 2 used to be endless "sing something simple" ZZZZZZ and now has some things that are worth listening to IMV

I don't know about other stations, but BBC Suffolk is dreadful - as the average of its listeners is apparently 61 perhaps it will suffer a slow, lingering, painful death.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

I never realised that Mr GG - Zoe Ball and Walton Viola Concerto don’t somehow go together. Anyway R2 never was, as you know very well if you have listened to it over the past 50 years, endless ‘sing something simple’, but now it is endless pop music from the last 40 years, no brass, no organ, but if that’s what you want Mr GG, that’s your station - enjoy. I would love to hear your reasons for axing local radio -it’s main problem for me is that the local stuff is really good BUT the pop music that it is peppered with is mostly not to my taste and badly chosen for the age-span of the local listenership.

Comment

Working...
                                X