• Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... not even when reciting :
    https://www.bartleby.com/246/108.html
    I can't say that I've ever had the pleasure!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Interesting that we anglicise Rome , Vienna etc but now make an attempt to get Chinese cities right .
      Likewise some Spanish cities - Cadiz, Seville [sic], Madrid....and Majorca, Robert Graves has much to answer for.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        Rheims/Reims? ( English: /riːmz/; French: /ʁɛ̃s/ )

... or again :

Armentières ( French : /aʁmɑ̃tjɛːʁ/ )

(English : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiynnETOlM )

[ ... message to self : never use the phrase "with the sole exception" ]

Ma sails.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
          That would be going too far I think. I think the policy , as far as possible, is to be accurate . Interesting that we anglicise Rome , Vienna etc but now make an attempt to get Chinese cities right .
          And as for renaming Firenze to make it sound like a Magic Roundabout character...

Do you remember when we used to add an S to both Lyon and Marseille to make them look more French?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            And as for renaming Firenze to make it sound like a Magic Roundabout character...

Do you remember when we used to add an S to both Lyon and Marseille to make them look more French?
            As in "Leigh-on-Sea" and "Ma sails", you meant?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Good choice of recording for Spem in alium just now. Recorded in the round, the singers standing in a circle, IIRC.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Good choice of recording for Spem in alium just now. Recorded in the round, the singers standing in a circle, IIRC.
                How are the singers arranged - choirs or voices and how does one record and listen to that?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  How are the singers arranged - choirs or voices and how does one record and listen to that?
                  I can't find the image of he actual choir in action, but the arrangement was much as here:

Though usually encountered on CD, the recording was also issued in surround SACD format.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I can't find the image of he actual choir in action, but the arrangement was much as here:

Though usually encountered on CD, the recording was also issued in surround SACD format.

That looks like the set-up for Janet Cardiff's art installation version? I was lucky enough to be able to experience that in an empty medieval church some years ago, but that was why I was wondering about the recorded version. How does the sound of the CD shown differ from conventionally arranged recordings?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

That looks like the set-up for Janet Cardiff's art installation version? I was lucky enough to be able to experience that in an empty medieval church some years ago, but that was why I was wondering about the recorded version. How does the sound of the CD shown differ from conventionally arranged recordings?
                      Yes, that looks like the Cardiff. I was in that - if we'd realised at the time just how durable and globe-trotting it was going to be, perhaps we'd have asked for a bigger fee! Seriously though, it's great to know that it has had such a good life (I heard it most recently at the Tate Modern).

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

That's the surround SACD version. I have both (the CD turns up in various boxed sets). With the SACD and a suitably set up surround system, one is indeed surrounded by the singers. It's a long time since I listened to the disc on a surround system, I will have to dig it out and give it another spin.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

That's the surround SACD version. I have both (the CD turns up in various boxed sets). With the SACD and a suitably set up surround system, one is indeed surrounded by the singers. It's a long time since I listened to the disc on a surround system, I will have to dig it out and give it another spin.
                          Oddoneout is referring to your first photo, and I agree that it looks like the Cardiff - the benches in the middle are the giveaway, I think.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                            Oddoneout is referring to your first photo, and I agree that it looks like the Cardiff - the benches in the middle are the giveaway, I think.
                            Yes, I gathered that. As I wrote, I could not find the image I was looking for so posted that to give some idea of the disposition of the singers.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Yes, I gathered that. As I wrote, I could not find the image I was looking for so posted that to give some idea of the disposition of the singers.
                              Sorry. Misunderstood.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

There is at least one other surround recording of Spem in alium availalbe, that by I Fagiolini and Robert Hollingworth. That, however, is on the DVD of a 2 disc set (CD + DVD) and in lossy Dolby DIgital 5.1 surround, audio only, and is of a version accompanied buy instruments (an attempt at a reconstruction of the original).

Having just listened to the I Fagiolini recording, I am now taking in the Hueglas Ensemble SACD. Quite, quite magical. If you have access to an SACD surround system, I would highly recommend getting this disc. https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...659--40-voices
                                Last edited by Bryn; 22-03-19, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X