X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I think that's what is known as negative capability, MJ!
    ... nope.

... but a Zen follower such as yrself knew that, didn't you?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... nope.

... but a Zen follower such as yrself knew that, didn't you?

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I think that's what is known as negative capability, MJ!
        See also World Music thread 'Sean Nos, Iarla and The Gloaming' of this week.

Purchase/Stream: http://smarturl.it/RW223Singer Iarla Ó Lionáird talks about the inspiration and the meaning behind the opening track of The Gloaming's third...

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I may think International Women’s Day is an excuse for BBC tokenism, playing music they apparently don’t seem fit for the other 364 days.

But, as happened in previous years, EC is far more interesting today than on other days, with music that’s mostly new to our ears.

Best of all, the ghastly playlist game was dropped.
          Totally agree alpie ...... some, IMVVHO, wonderful music - especially liked the Dorothy Howell Piano Concerto

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Totally agree alpie ...... some, IMVVHO, wonderful music - especially liked the Dorothy Howell Piano Concerto
            There’s a recording in this set which I have,don’t think it is as good as the Danny Driver performance on Hyperion though

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Time for Head Girl Miss Suzy to be seen by the Head Teacher I think. We know she doesn't take correction or criticism well but being rude to listeners is a step too far. This morning we had 'yes I know it should be Concerti Grossi, so don't write in OK - but it sounds silly' [not as silly as concerto grossos] in a narky tone.
              Earlier there was a nice plug for a wood treatment product; we all know what company has 'does what it says on the tin', so no need to name it as well...or is that something else that has changed? I seem to remember product placement constraints have changed somewhat but I thought actually naming was still out.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The BBC likes Anne Robinsons. I remember when they appointed John McEnroe to be a tennis pundit, following this with the slogan “nobody hits harder”. They must have been disappointed with his intelligent punditry.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Time for Head Girl Miss Suzy to be seen by the Head Teacher I think. We know she doesn't take correction or criticism well but being rude to listeners is a step too far. This morning we had 'yes I know it should be Concerti Grossi, so don't write in OK - but it sounds silly' [not as silly as concerto grossos] in a narky tone.
                  That reminds me of former R3 editor Graham Dixon's reply to me that the correct pronunciation of "Tárrega" was "counterintuitive". Better to pronounce it wrong because it sounds better in English. Ignorance and stupidity.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    That reminds me of former R3 editor Graham Dixon's reply to me that the correct pronunciation of "Tárrega" was "counterintuitive". Better to pronounce it wrong because it sounds better in English. Ignorance and stupidity.
                    How on earth did he get from Tarrega to counterintuitive - fails on a syllables count apart from anything else!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Search me

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Saying "counterintuitive" is a way in BBC speak of saying it was a mistake.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Earlier there was a nice plug for a wood treatment product; we all know what company has 'does what it says on the tin', so no need to name it as well...or is that something else that has changed? I seem to remember product placement constraints have changed somewhat but I thought actually naming was still out.
                          A bit later, she introduced Mendelssohn's Op 81 No 1 as a fugue, which it isn't (No 4 is). It should have been perfectly obvious that there was not a hint of a fugue about it, but she nevertheless repeated the mistake in the post-announcement. Which can only mean either that she doesn't know what a fugue is (and isn't) or that she wasn't even half-listening to the music (no doubt because she was sifting through the pile of tweets for the 'playlist challenge').

I couldn't be bothered to tweet/text/email a correction, not least because, if she'd acknowledged it at all, it would no doubt have been with the usual 'yes I KNOW it wasn't a fugue, alright?' snarkiness. As far as I'm aware there was no subsequent correction so either others felt the same as I did or she couldn't even be bothered to snark.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Saying "counterintuitive" is a way in BBC speak of saying it was a mistake.
                            In their usual way of never admitting that they got it wrong. Now, how about their music policy?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              In their usual way of never admitting that they got it wrong. Now, how about their music policy?
                              Oh, that certainly is "counterintuitive"!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Suzy Klein is NEVER wrong, and the sooner we all come to our senses and acknowledge the fact the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X