X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

The cheek. I suggested Alan Hovaness’s work!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Last time they played Land of the Mountain and the Flood "Pat" was slapped down for suggesting Eine Alpensinfonie. Just saying … Presumably the latest companion piece will not be Land of the Mountain and the Flood. Although presenter today is IS rather than SK
      IS wouldn’t do such a thing. I’m quite certain he was never the school bully.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I don’t suppose they read this out:-

“Oh dear. Now Radio 3 Essential Classics has stooped to a new low, requesting a "playlist" piece to follow a short extract from the middle of a continuous work, for perceived individuals who may have the attention span of a goldfish. I actually feel sorry for the presenters who are made to drag out this tired and worn out dumbing-down ploy to motivate people to text/tweet/email in order to get their names read out over the airwaves. Eine Alpensinfonie is a 50 minute work ending in complete silence, so NOTHING can follow it. If you want what follows the summit, then follow it with what Strauss wrote. Otherwise Radio 3 RIP.
        "EA
        "PS I have every recording of this work - over 100."
        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-02-19, 17:20.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
          I suggested Walter Piston's 'Mountains' from his Three New England Sketches, but I see it wasn't chosen. At least listeners were spared Grieg's trolls.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Manfred? A good 50 plus mins to finish the programme!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

That'll learn yer!!!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

What - all of it?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

What - all of it?
                  It can be no mystery that I would have suggested Cardew's Mountains for solo bass clarinet.

The score is headed by the following translation:

"Mountains! Piercing the blue of heaven, the skies would fall but for your strength supporting”.

from Three Short Poems (1934-35) by Mao Zedong.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 25-02-19, 17:34. Reason: Additionall information added.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Well, I'm sorry to hear that so many fine people on this forum have been adding to this infantile procedure.

The summit section of Eine Alpensinfonie is not followed by the 4th movement of someone else's symphony. It's followed by Vision (which was actually played, presumably by mistake), Mists Rise, Sun becoming obscured, Elegy, Calm before the storm, Thunderstorm, Sunset, Ausklang, Night.

Scala Radio & Classic FM have now been joined by BBC Radio Trivial, or perhaps Classical Music for Dummies.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

What - all of it?
                      Why do think that 'One chunk should be followed by another chunk?'

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Well, I'm sorry to hear that so many fine people on this forum have been adding to this infantile procedure.

The summit section of Eine Alpensinfonie is not followed by the 4th movement of someone else's symphony. It's followed by Vision (which was actually played, presumably by mistake), Mists Rise, Sun becoming obscured, Elegy, Calm before the storm, Thunderstorm, Sunset, Ausklang, Night.

Scala Radio & Classic FM have now been joined by BBC Radio Trivial, or perhaps Classical Music for Dummies.
                        I am aware of your strong feelings on this but since I don't share your passion for this work(nor indeed the rest of his output), I'm not sorry only a part was played, but who knows, perhaps someone listening(deficient individuals that they are...)just might have had their interest piqued by the inadequate offering. The "infantile procedure" did result this morning in me hearing and enjoying something unfamiliar, namely the Hovhaness. Mr Skelly does a decent job in my view of selecting from suggestions, not all of which are rubbish - thanks to forumite contributions?
                        Usual disclaimer - I don't think this is what should be happening in the morning schedules etc.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

What - all of it?
                          No. My friend Rodney Newton has quite a few stories to tell regarding Hovaness
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Why do think that 'One chunk should be followed by another chunk?'
                            I think you might just be misreading Frenchie's reference to "all of it", i.e. all of Hovhaness's work - his complete oeuvre.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I think you might just be misreading Frenchie's reference to "all of it", i.e. all of Hovhaness's work - his complete oeuvre.
                              I was wondering whether to respond, hotly, that I did not approve of 'one chunk after another'. Notwithstanding the fact that I have an inkling BBMmk2 was referring to AH's 'work' Symphony No 2 …
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                I am aware of your strong feelings on this but since I don't share your passion for this work(nor indeed the rest of his output), I'm not sorry only a part was played, but who knows, perhaps someone listening(deficient individuals that they are...)just might have had their interest piqued by the inadequate offering. The "infantile procedure" did result this morning in me hearing and enjoying something unfamiliar, namely the Hovhaness. Mr Skelly does a decent job in my view of selecting from suggestions, not all of which are rubbish - thanks to forumite contributions?
                                Usual disclaimer - I don't think this is what should be happening in the morning schedules etc.
                                My point was that the best follow-up of the middle of a work is what the composer wrote for the rest of it - not the result of a parlour game, or even a referendum.

Comment

Working...
                                X