X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    The Squire announced this morning that you can now get a weekly podcast of these snippets cloughers - surely your life is now complete ..... ???
    As in the title of an old Herman’s Hermits hit - ‘A must to avoid’!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Don't get me going on that one. The Americans retranslated a milliard (1,000,000,000) into a "billion", whereas a real billion has an extra three naughts, which the Americans called a trillion, (which is actually 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). . . .
      Why cite the Americans? It was the French what done it*. The Americans merely followed suit.

* Though they have since reverted to the original million million usage. Ironic, in that it is the French who were mainly responsible for SI, which uses a thousand as its basic unit multiplier.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Why cite the Americans? It was the French what done it*. The Americans merely followed suit.

* Though they have since reverted to the original million million usage. Ironic, in that it is the French who were mainly responsible for SI, which uses a thousand as its basic unit multiplier.
        ... interesting. In the twentieth century American English usage did not change, but French usage changed from 'short scale' to 'long scale' in 1961 and British English usage changed from 'long scale' to 'short' in 1974.

This is interesting, too -

Last edited by vinteuil; 15-06-18, 15:17.

Comment

• Paulie55
          • Jan 2012

Suzy Klein's Presenting Skills

Does anyone find SK rather supercilious and oily as a presenter. She seems to be turning into a female version of RC and that cannot be good.....and she also fails to take a breath when talking. I find it ingratiating and i'm cheesed off with being "talked down to" on Radio 3. No doubt this will initiate a furore of outraged responses!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
            Does anyone find SK rather supercilious and oily as a presenter. She seems to be turning into a female version of RC and that cannot be good.....and she also fails to take a breath when talking. I find it ingratiating and i'm cheesed off with being "talked down to" on Radio 3. No doubt this will initiate a furore of outraged responses!
            I don't think you'll provoke a furore here. There has been much talk of SK's schoolmarmish style since she started doing Essential Classics, and from what I have heard this week it has if anything got worse.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

...........and her continual dropping of voice at the end of announcemnts..........!!!!

And Skelly's 'care home radio' style.
              Sick-making.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Yes Skelly's style on this programme seems to be " I can't believe you are listening to this nonsense " so I will talk to you as if you are as dim as dim .

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
                  Yes - well I did until I stopped listening to Essential Classics.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... at least we no longer have to endure the cringe-worthy Rob: Cowan.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

My theory is that presenters are unable to be completely natural. Some are very good at appearing to be natural but they’re still acting. Most are deliberately adopting a persona.This may or may not be what they’re really like but almost always they seem to hit the wrong note with listeners. Avuncular, world-weary, cool chick, voice of authority, all just false.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        My theory is that presenters are unable to be completely natural. Some are very good at appearing to be natural but they’re still acting. Most are deliberately adopting a persona.This may or may not be what they’re really like but almost always they seem to hit the wrong note with listeners. Avuncular, world-weary, cool chick, voice of authority, all just false.

Surely EVERYONE on the Radio, TV, Introducing concerts etc etc is "acting" in some way?

Some folks (Tony Pappano, for example) are very "close" to what they are "in the flesh"
                        but all presenting involves changing how one is to communicate to others in a way that the audience will grasp.

There really is no "natural" at all IMV

About time theatre and media studies were given a bit more respect ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Surely EVERYONE on the Radio, TV, Introducing concerts etc etc is "acting" in some way?

Some folks (Tony Pappano, for example) are very "close" to what they are "in the flesh"
                          but all presenting involves changing how one is to communicate to others in a way that the audience will grasp.

There really is no "natural" at all IMV

About time theatre and media studies were given a bit more respect ?
                          As you undoubtedly know, they are.....in their own world.

Lad I know did film production ( or something) at a not at all prestigious Uni ( but very good at that stuff), and after getting some part time paid work filming at League football matches , now has his dream ( first) job doing graphics on sports highlights packages that go all round the world.

But of course, hierarchy doesn't really allow for such things......
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            And for (all?) the other radio stations that doesn't matter too much, in fact presenters having a distinct style can be an asset in keeping the listeners listening - or initiating public 'debate' where changes occur and so publicity. While doubtless there are R3 listeners who also come into that group, for many the fact that a presenter's style is obvious is, or can be, a disadvantage as it gets in the way of the music content. Trouble is that now the morning schedule is 'shows' a la R1,2 etc, it follows that for those in charge the presenter must have a recognisable identity,not least to distract from the lack of quality content.
                            The fact that I am not as anti the morning schedule as many forumites doesn't mean that I want or favour a chat show with music interruptions, and the persona adopted(or forced on them?) by the new breed of R3 presenter can and does irritate to a greater or lesser extent.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

[SIZE=1]... at least we no longer have to endure the cringe-worthy Rob: Cowan.
                              Rob was a regular favourite on the BBC Message board. Only when he was wooed by the darkside did RC start to receive criticism.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                Yes - well I did until I stopped listening to Essential Classics.
                                Even that didn't work. The Anne Robinson clone appeared on a live cinema relay of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

Comment

Working...
                                X