• Sep 2011

Originally posted by Opinionated Knowall View Post
    Can I recommend Forvo? For example https://forvo.com/word/czernowin/#cs
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Thank you - as a Northerner, short rather than long "a"s are correct pronunciation.
      You're a southerner to me, but point taken!

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Any advice on "Kaikhosru"? I've always thought "more or less as written": "Kigh-kos-roo", again with emphasis on the second syllable
      You don't need any advice on that; that's the way of it! (except, perhaps, that "kh" might arguably be the more guttural version rather than pronouncing the "k" as a "k" and leaving the "h" silent)...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        You're a southerner to me, but point taken!
        Ah, yes

You don't need any advice on that; that's the way of it! (except, perhaps, that "kh" might arguably be the more guttural version rather than pronouncing the "k" as a "k" and leaving the "h" silent)...
        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-03-18, 16:20.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

"kh" might arguably be the more guttural version rather than pronouncing the "k" as a "k" and leaving the "h" silent)...
          Irish has a similar pronunciation, eg loch or lough.

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Opinionated Knowall View Post
            Can I recommend Forvo?
            Forvo has the pronunciation of Sorabji in Hindi, but Kaikhosru Shapurji are pending.

Clavicembalisticum isn’t there either, though Latin being more customary in these parts than Hindi, I can probably pronounce it. Actually listening to the entire Opus is of course far more challenging.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I've gotten into the habit of emphasising the first syllable but I imagine that most people place the emphasis on the first.
              I'm trying to work out the significance of this statement.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I'm trying to work out the significance of this statement.
                I'm thinking ahinton either meant most people place the emphasis on the second syllable, or that he is in that comfortable supposed majority that puts it on the first.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I'm thinking ahinton either meant most people place the emphasis on the second syllable, or that he is in that comfortable supposed majority that puts it on the first.
                  I did wonder whether he meant that he had at some vague time in the past for unspecified reasons emphasised the second syllable but through various circumstances had gotten into the habit of stressing the first instead; whereas he imagined that most people had already been stressing the first anyway.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I did wonder whether he meant that he had at some vague time in the past for unspecified reasons emphasised the second syllable but through various circumstances had gotten into the habit of stressing the first instead; whereas he imagined that most people had already been stressing the first anyway.
                    Ahinton does tend to get gotten!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      Irish has a similar pronunciation, eg loch or lough.
                      Indeed - as has Scawttish!

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

No; the first time I heard the name mentioned, the emphasis was on the second and, as I mentioned, I think that most people do pronounce it this way and the composer himself also did so, but the reason why I've slipped into placing the emphasis on the first is due to the Sohrab and Rustum connection; I hope that I've now managed to clear up any confusion that I might inadvertently have caused over this!

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                          Forvo has the pronunciation of Sorabji in Hindi, but Kaikhosru Shapurji are pending.

Clavicembalisticum isn’t there either, though Latin being more customary in these parts than Hindi, I can probably pronounce it. Actually listening to the entire Opus is of course far more challenging.
                          Nah; it just takes longer!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, but the name is not of Indian origin.

Clavicembalisticum isn’t there either, though Latin being more customary in these parts than Hindi, I can probably pronounce it.
                            I'm sure that you can and, if in doubt, remember that even the Québecois can manage it, as evident from Marc-André Hamelin's reference to it as Opusclavicembalisticexpialidocious...

Comment

• peterthekeys
                              • Aug 2014

I did wonder about suggesting that EC should broadcast the whole of Opus Clavicembalisticum as a penance

Comment

• peterthekeys
                                • Aug 2014

I didn't know that Sorabji knew Harold Truscott! His priceless comment upon entering Beeb House, though, is utterly typical!
                                Yes, Truscott often talked about him (he once showed me some of Sorabji's letters to him - in Sorabji's highly idiosyncratic style of typing.) I believe that they had considerable respect for each other (Truscott was a phenomenal sight-reader, and also a prolific composer in his own right - his tally of piano sonatas got up to 17.)

Comment

Working...
                                X