Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
    I think you will find FF's observations - suitably incorporated in a lengthy response by myself - have now made an appearance on that particular Facebook thread.

Sadly, despite your eloquence, it appears to be falling on deaf ears; no attempt to engage with any of the issues raised. Just the sad old regurgitating about how much variety there is on R3, and that anyone who doesn't like the status quo is a curmudgeon intent on denying other people enjoyment.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post

Sadly, despite your eloquence, it appears to be falling on deaf ears; no attempt to engage with any of the issues raised. Just the sad old regurgitating about how much variety there is on R3, and that anyone who doesn't like the status quo is a curmudgeon intent on denying other people enjoyment.
      Well, I think Graeme is putting the other side of the argument (he's paid to), but he isn't one of those who tries to convince people that black is white, as some of his colleagues do. It's true that none of them are prepared to concede that the critics have any sort of a point at all. And that's not to their credit. Like politicians, they consider it a sign of weakness to 'understand' the other point of view.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

I think you will find FF's observations - suitably incorporated in a lengthy response by myself - have now made an appearance on that particular Facebook thread.
        I've just looked at the facebook page, where on earth your comments and ff's are is a puzzle, the page seems definitely user-unfriendly http://www.facebook.com/bbcradio3?sk=wall&filter=1 with no logical layout or ability to read any discussions, actually, it all seems a bit pointless

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          actually, it all seems a bit pointless
          It has one point: to promote Radio 3 and its programmes.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

Anna:
            You have to click on "Highlights" and then "Posts By Others". The discussion is half-way down on the right hand side beginning "I'd thought I'd give Essential Classics another whirl..."

FF - as far as I understand - does not post to Facebook at present but FF's views are well represented on there (I hope).
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Anna

Anna:
              You have to click on "Highlights" and then "Posts By Others". The discussion is half-way down on the right hand side beginning "I'd thought I'd give Essential Classics another whirl..."
              But, it seems, without joining FB one cannot see these Highlights and Posts by Others discussions (I did join FB for R3 then suddenly it kept asking me for my telephone number before I could log in, so I abandoned it) And, to be honest, I am not bothered about going through the whole FB registration process again. Their FB seems a closed shop, either you love R3 or they don't want to know you

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Yes, I guess one has to join FB to get to see all the posts.
                Anyone with their head screwed on the right way round at R3 HQ would have expected some kind of antipathy to the present state of affairs so I can't believe that they are surprised by some of the less than adulatory posts. The fact that Graeme Kaye is prepared to engage on any level is, I think, a positive one in that it indicates to me that there IS a position to be defended (and by definition to be attacked).
                I think so long as posters can stay positive in argument without resorting to personal jibes (mea culpa, mea maixima culpa) then I do see some "point" in jabbing at Goliath with my pointy nib on occasion.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

..The fact that Graeme Kaye is prepared to engage on any level is, I think, a positive one in that it indicates to me that there IS a position to be defended (and by definition to be attacked).
                  he was 'host' at one time for the old R3 board - on one ocassion he promised to get back with some info only to have to report his bosses had over-ruled him (never again was such an excuse given) - after which I assumed he was no more that a 'jobsworth' and like the rest decided keeping his nose clean was more important than any personal position - remember who is now in charge used to peddle junk food so why expect openness and honesty in any dealings.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by frances_iom View Post
                    he was 'host' at one time for the old r3 board - on one ocassion he promised to get back with some info only to have to report his bosses had over-ruled him (never again was such an excuse given) - after which i assumed he was no more that a 'jobsworth' and like the rest decided keeping his nose clean was more important than any personal position - remember who is now in charge used to peddle junk food so why expect openness and honesty in any dealings.
                    ...and now he just peddles chunks!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                      I assumed he ... like the rest decided keeping his nose clean was more important than any personal position - remember who is now in charge used to peddle junk food so why expect openness and honesty in any dealings.
                      I expect with that "skillset" he's well up the greasy pole by now.

Comment

• Anna

Graeme Kaye once re-instated me on the R3 MB, after I had been banned. I think, he's a good bloke, but carefull not to rock the boat, he has his pension to consider!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          I had been banned
                          What had you been banned for, Anna?!?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Anna:
                            I can't seem to find any 'Highlights' on that page to click on.

(But then the whole thing is such a repulsive visual mess it might I suppose be lurking there somewhere ... )

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              What had you been banned for, Anna?!?
                              If I remember, some naughty people changed their nicknames to 'Roger Wright' and sundry notables. The Hosts were not amused ....

To clarify, I'm not registered at all with FB but can see the 'Highlights' button. It's bit annoying when you're hovering in the wrong place, or click certain buttons, and it locks on to a 'log in' window. Which, in my case, I cannot do.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

The Highlights button is just below the main banner, rather faint.

Comment

Working...
                                X