• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    It will be interesting to see if you get selected bbm given the ongoing theory that the choice is made the week before and/or the daily deluge of suggestions they claim to receive .....
    Ah - but if they've already decided to play the Vierne, then Bbm's request will come in handy.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Not least because it suggests that there aren't that many people writing in with suggestions, if Bbm is constantly being chosen! If that is so, why do it at all, just for the gratification of a small percentage of listeners?

Indeed .......

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Not least because it suggests that there aren't that many people writing in with suggestions, if Bbm is constantly being chosen! If that is so, why do it at all, just for the gratification of a small percentage of listeners?
        Hiya french frank,

I really wonder how people can be bothered contacting the show and get their name mentioned!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Hiya french frank,

I really wonder how people can be bothered contacting the show and get their name mentioned!
          I don't think they all do it just to get their name mentioned Stan, when I sent in a request I used a false name to avoid ridicule down the Working Men's Club ......

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Moreover, let's be honest, with the exception of the person and maybe one or two friends or family, no one is going to be any the wiser when a name is read out. If I hear Ivor Bighead or Percy Vere mentioned it means zilch to me, nor likewise to thousand of others. The only thing I do think is what a g**!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I don't think they all do it just to get their name mentioned Stan, when I sent in a request I used a false name to avoid ridicule down the Working Men's Club ......
              About 25 years ago (a confession is coming) I suggested a Mozart aria (from K 429) for Breakfast On Air. It was played, but I gave a false name. I just thought the aria charming and very few people would know it. I was very keen on the Masonic music at the time
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

I think they probably do! That is unless some use a nom de plume.

Working Men's clubs are in serious decline, rather like Radio 3.
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 25-01-18, 14:43.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

... but I gave a false name. I
                  I'm SHOCKED!!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

You clearly have a higher class of listener at your Working men's club than most I suspect!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I'm SHOCKED!!
                      Françoise Franck, peut-ĂȘtre?...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        You clearly have a higher class of listener at your Working men's club than most I suspect!
                        "Washington, Tyne &Wear" - only to be expected.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          "Washington, Tyne &Wear" - only to be expected.
                          Indeed .......

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Looks like bbm's nap selection didn't even make it to the first 3 ...... yes EA's Suzy decided to play 3 follow up pieces today, as the response was so magnificent .......

Comment

• Rex Bartlett
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              Moreover, let's be honest, with the exception of the person and maybe one or two friends or family, no one is going to be any the wiser when a name is read out. If I hear Ivor Bighead or Percy Vere mentioned it means zilch to me, nor likewise to thousand of others. The only thing I do think is what a g**!
                              A couple of years ago I had a postcard from a neice I hadn't seen in 30 years asking if it was my name she'd heard read out on Radio 3 when she was halfway up Mt Snowdon. I was the only person that day to recognise a Mozart sonata being played backwards. I was quite chuffed.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rex Bartlett View Post
                                A couple of years ago I had a postcard from a neice I hadn't seen in 30 years asking if it was my name she'd heard read out on Radio 3 when she was halfway up Mt Snowdon. I was the only person that day to recognise a Mozart sonata being played backwards. I was quite chuffed.
                                Well, that was one person who was pleased. What about the other 500,000 listeners?
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X