X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    I could better accept the lack of an advance playlist if the scrolling ''playing now' actually kept up with what's playing now. I find it irritating to have to keep checking back if I want to find out what a piece is as the gizmo doesn't come up until it's well underway(or on occasion been and gone). I think I've asked before on here, but is there any good reason why it isn't synchronised? At least I know when the script and the music are adrift - not so good for those perhaps new to this game or with a smaller 'back catalogue' to check against?
    The machine-readable playlist seems to be several seconds in advance of the webpage version (it certainly is for Scared River at the moment). Firefox presents it in a slightly more user-friendly format than the raw text.

For what it's worth, here's how to get the machine-readable format:

1. Open the programme page
    2. In the browser address bar append '/segments' (without the quotes) to the address line and press the 'go' button
    3. You might notice that the pid code changes - this is the vpid which is needed for the next step
    4. In the browser address bar append '.json' (without the quotes, but don't miss the 'dot') to the address line and press the 'go' button

Some browsers will present a jumble of text, although it is possible to visually extract the information. Firefox switches to a format which separates the various fields and makes it easier to read.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
      I found some guidelines here which suggest the entry process is manual, and quite onerous. (Note the bit about checking for typos!)

I suspect that the building option for the playlist is chosen editorially: Words and Music routinely issues the playlist in advance, whether it's a repeat or not. I'll see if I can find any evidence in other guidance pages.

You might like to look around the site covering BBC data entry guidelines: it includes editorial guidance for classical items.
      Onerous is the word . When you read this you realise that computers have taken the fun out of broadcasting. Whatever happened to putting a needle on a disc and opening a fader? Also with this level of data control why do we constantly hear the same bits of music twice in the same week?
      I guess the McCarthy / McCartney confusion was an unhelpful auto suggestion from the database which has perhaps more tracks ( or "songs " ) logged from the latter.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

If I heard correctly there were two follow up pieces to the #StarterForSuzy this morning .... what was certain is that Suzy had never been more excited. ClassicFM without the Andrews Liver Salts or whatever is being advertised nowadays ....

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          If I heard correctly there were two follow up pieces to the #StarterForSuzy this morning .... what was certain is that Suzy had never been more excited. ClassicFM without the Andrews Liver Salts or whatever is being advertised nowadays ....
          I'm sure the Mozart Sinfonia concertante was suggested the other day as a follow-up to A Short R The Thunder and Lightning Polka!

I suppose the starter was the Schubert Piano Trio (2nd mvt) - hence the Beethoven Piano Trio (2nd mvt)? I couldn't spot another 2nd mvt, though
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

By debating it you may be actually encouraging her / them..............if they read these threads!!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              By debating it you may be actually encouraging her / them..............if they read these threads!!
              [deleted] Or rather, unbroadcastable.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I'd like to complain - Suzy played an entire symphony this morning. It was Haydn 94. Having explained the surprise to us, she only needed to play the second movement.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  I'd like to complain - Suzy played an entire symphony this morning. It was Haydn 94. Having explained the surprise to us, she only needed to play the second movement.
                  It'll be a Miracle if she plays no 96 tomorrow!

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    100 to 1 Suzy plays the 'Military'.

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear 94 this morning. Brought me back, but I'll say no more.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Hiya RT,

Did I read correctly? An entire symphony! This just will not do! Dumming down my a*s*!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Well, she's in London, she has to keep an eye on the clock.....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Well, she's in London, she has to keep an eye on the clock.....
                          All day: morning, noon, and evening!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I agree. If they intend to spoil the programme by playing the whole of a multi-movement work they should broadcast repeated trails to warn us in advance.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Is there no haydn place from these symphonic jests?
                                (signed) Il Distratto

Comment

Working...
                                X