X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Hell and Damnation! I was going to post a subversive text about a companion piece for Clair de Lune, but I was out when the request was made, and I'd left my phone at home.

But Rob did let it slip that they'd already decided what the companion piece was to be, over half an hour before it was played.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      But Rob did let it slip that they'd already decided what the companion piece was to be, over half an hour before it was played.
      What was it - By the Light of the Silvery Moon?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        2 items in fact. Fauré Clair de Lune (the bleedin' obvious) and a Gnossienne (to fill up time and because, obviously, the Gnossiennes are hardly ever aired on R3).

Don't ask me why I had it on.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Bring Me Sunshine?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Bring Me Sunshine?
            Never thought of it before but lune doesn't rhyme with Juin!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              2 items in fact. Fauré Clair de Lune (the bleedin' obvious) and a Gnossienne (to fill up time and because, obviously, the Gnossiennes are hardly ever aired on R3).

Don't ask me why I had it on.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

First time I had EC on this week and in the background I hear RC burbling on about the follow-up to Thunder and Lightning Polka and I'm thinking "just what is the point of this nonsense" when he announces its going to be Short Ride in a Fast Machine.
                Click off.

Words cannot express the vacuity of this programme.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Have to keep coming back to this, like scratching a sore. Is there an obvious, rigorous purpose in 'exploring companion pieces for a well-known piece'?

What is the profile of the intended listener who would appreciate these recommendations, and especially their knowledge level in classical music (nearest estimate): 1 piece? 37 pieces? 10, 807 pieces?

Is there any reason to think that, as a group, they will be attracted to a piece of music because someone else likes it?

Given that 91% of the population 15+ listens to the radio already and that most radio listening (biggest audiences) is before midday, what stations has the intended listener been listening to, and what methods are used to attract such listeners to Essential Classics, rather than continue with R2, R4,CFM &c? Which other Radio 3 programmes do they listen to?

What is the profile of the listeners whose suggestions are chosen? How much music do they know? A lot (though see above re shared tastes)? Or are they helpfully naming one of the few other classical works that they also like?

As before mentioned, how many people on average actually do write in each morning? Not 'a flood', 'lots of you', but HOW MANY? Like 3, 37, 305 …

Is this used to provide a business metric - a measurable amount to demonstrate improvement (or otherwise) in the programme 'engaging' (BBC word) its audience? "Over the year the number of engaged listeners has increased by 20%" (= last year 5 a day, this year 6 a day).

Does this style of programming have a long-term (educational or other) aim, e.g. giving listeners a comprehensive grounding in classical music, making demands on the audience to encourage them to work out their own musical preferences and favourite works, increasing/broadening Radio 3's reach? Or what?

On a scale of 0 to 10 (where 0 is none and 10 is a jolly lot), where would you place
                  a) the intended educational challenge of Essential Classics
                  b) the achieved level?
                  c) the general offensiveness?

Sorry to be such a bore, but I really cannot stand this programme. It demeans humanity
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                    the follow-up to Thunder and Lightning Polka and I'm thinking "just what is the point of this nonsense" when he announces its going to be Short Ride in a Fast Machine
                    Probably the same person from yesterday who suggested John Adams (Short Ride in a Fast Machine?) as the follow-up to Bach's B minor Mass.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Although I don't contact the programme, I do try to imagine what the most inappropriate piece would be! How about Strauss' 'Metamorphsen' as a companion to the Thunder and lightning polka?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I think it's rather good to have a bit of fun from Radio 3. Keeps the old brain cells going. I have had a couple or so mentions because of it. All good fun and why not?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

Probably the same person from yesterday who suggested John Adams (Short Ride in a Fast Machine?) as the follow-up to Bach's B minor Mass.
                          Now there's an idea! There was a Two Ronnies sketch in which one of them supplied the answer to the previous question (i.e. not the current question). Thus Clair de Lune of yesterday would be followed by today's Short Ride and today's Thunder and Lightning would be followed by tomorrow's follow up and so on.
                          Makes as much sense as the present non-sequiturs.
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            Although I don't contact the programme, I do try to imagine what the most inappropriate piece would be! How about Strauss' 'Metamorphsen' as a companion to the Thunder and lightning polka?
                            Hiya pastoralguy,

Staying with Richard Strauss what about 'Death and Transfiguration'. That will teach me not to stand under a tree during a Thunder and Lightning Polka!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Hiya french frank

I'm completely baffled by the thinking behind that choice!
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 23-11-17, 12:55.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Sorry to be such a bore, but I really cannot stand this programme. It demeans humanity
                                Perhaps this belongs in a PM, but where does all this leave our esteemed Controller? Has he abandoned ship altogether? Hard to imagine that EC could be so much worse than before the recent changes, but it undoubtedly is.

Comment

Working...
                                X