X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I ought to remember to include E&OE, however As you put it, the dross is apparently the price that has to be paid (for reasons known to the BBC) for the live concerts, and the Proms (which come out of R3's budget). With this year's lossless audio, you'd think BBC Worldwide could sell them - and reimburse R3.
    Out of interest, is it cheaper to have it produced by a production company than in house ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Out of interest, is it cheaper to have it produced by a production company than in house ?
      Can't really give an authoritative reply, but I doubt the BBC could do it cheaper than what they pay an indie, for this kind of programme.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Can't really give an authoritative reply, but I doubt the BBC could do it cheaper than what they pay an indie, for this kind of programme.
        I don't know - do Amazon make more from Marketplace sellers than from selling products direct? It cuts the risk cost of buying in!

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

As I don't have quite the same level of antipathy towards the morning offerings as the commenters here have I've been prepared to listen as usual to see how things bed down.Initial reaction is that it isn't worse but it isn't better. Some things which irritated have gone but may have been replaced with others.
          Classic FM is not for me an alternative as I can't stand the advert interruptions and jingles(although it has to be said R3 is getting quite close at times with its trailers now) and although I have the radio on when I'm around but don't always give it my full attention I don't regard it as background music. If I'm not actively listening it's because I don't want to listen to that item. In the same way, for the recitals, concerts etc later in the day/evening I will switch off, turn down or do something else for things I don't want to listen to. And I happen to like the progression through the day of the different types of programmes. But what I would not want is for there to be a 'creep' of the style of the morning programmes into the later ones, whether that be unsuitable presenters, listener 'participation' or whatever.
          There are things about the current R3 which I find do not bear comparison with years ago or the Third Programme, but I'm grateful that it still exists at all, together with the various BBC orchestras etc. I work in a museum and face a somewhat similar situation with changes in approach to display and interpretation and the attracting of visitors(audience). There may be things I dislike or find regrettable, but they enable the place to stay open and thus available for those who do want something a bit more challenging.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The Sunday morning offerings, I thought were trash, to say the least! What were they thinking about?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              The Sunday morning offerings, I thought were trash, to say the least! What were they thinking about?
              Erm - Essential Classics isn't broadcast on Sundays, Bbm. Today's Sunday Morning was presented by Jonathan Swain - I only heard the final item (a rather oomph-lacking performance of the Divertimento from The Fairy's Kiss with the Russian NO under Jurowski) so cannot comment on the other "offerings".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Oh! Looking at the playlist, I see that the programme started with stuff by Lloyd-Banker! "Trash to say the least" indeed - and no doubt casting a sour taste over the remainder of the programme for those who heard it. Still - as effective as prunes with All-Bran for that time on a Sunday Morning.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Oh! Looking at the playlist, I see that the programme started with stuff by Lloyd-Banker! "Trash to say the least" indeed - and no doubt casting a sour taste over the remainder of the programme for those who heard it. Still - as effective as prunes with All-Bran for that time on a Sunday Morning.
                  Apart from the opening NumBah - Motschmann, Telemann, R Strauss, Rebecca Clarke, Shosta, Galuppi, Stravinsky. … ?

Make the most of it - if they're shaking the programme up, will it be better or worse?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Apart from the opening NumBah - Motschmann, Telemann, R Strauss, Rebecca Clarke, Shosta, Galuppi, Stravinsky. … ?
                    Yes - I noticed that the programme picked up thereafter (the only possible direction, of course) and did wonder if the performances were what led to Bbm's comment.

Make the most of it - if they're shaking the programme up, will it be better or worse?
                    Ladbroke's are refusing to take my bet!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Yes - I noticed that the programme picked up thereafter (the only possible direction, of course)
                      There was a brief outbreak of marimbas, about which the less said the better.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        There's a very effective cortisone ointment for that, according to my aunt...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Thanks for the tip-off. I will tarry no longer, and listen to the Sary.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Thanks for the tip-off. I will tarry no longer, and listen to the Sary.
                            Ah! But whose Sary, now, Bryn?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Ferney, I pput this here, as I know we haven't a thread going on the Sunday morning equivalent.

I sent them a couple of tweets at my dismay for playing Andre Lloyd Webbers rocked up Paganini Variations, featuring his brother on cello, plus a most excruiating treatment of a work by Gesualdo.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                Ferney, I pput this here, as I know we haven't a thread going on the Sunday morning equivalent.
                                We have, BBM, we have, here.... - it started with an apposite and topical post from the much-missed Calum....

Comment

Working...
                                X