• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    So why am I not happy about the end of Essential Classics? The fear, that what is to come, will be if anything even worse.
    Well, we do have to give them a chance - in the knowledge that we're hovering over them like vultures.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Ah, so you like the near ubiquity of bleeding chunks, eh?
      I admit to not having listened to the programme under the new rules.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        Though when SK said that two listeners had suggested the Adagio from Spartacus because of its associations with the sea I found myself shouting 'no, it's all about an escape from a Roman orgy, not the Onedin bloody Line' at the radio.
        And, lest we forget, SK herself publicly described - on national television - Debussy's Prlude a l'Apres-Midi d'un Faune as being "about a young deer".

This old dear wasn't impressed.

(But, like uct, I prefer the timbre of SK's voice to SW's ... or RC's come to that.)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

I'm afraid Suzy Klein is for me the epitome of sycophancy and pretentiousness, in equal measure. But don't let me put others off!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            And, lest we forget, SK herself publicly described - on national television - Debussy's Prlude a l'Apres-Midi d'un Faune as being "about a young deer".

This old dear wasn't impressed.

(But, like uct, I prefer the timbre of SK's voice to SW's ... or RC's come to that.)
            And called us snobs before we'd made a single comment about the Ibiza Prom.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cherrytree View Post
              Hello. This is my first post. We enjoy Essential Classics and unfashionably, loved the Brainteaser. However with the arrival of Suzy Klein it seems to be no more. I can cope with change, but I'm not stupid and would appreciate an explanation or even an announcement that it has disappeared. I had noticed! As for all that bit about listeners suggestions..

Welcome, Cherrytree! So glad you're here.

I only noticed this morning that the 'guest spot' had been discontinued. I agree that most of the guests were of limited appeal and that their knowledge of classical music was often sketchy. (I often imagined their agents saying 'I've got you a spot on Radio Three but you're going to have to make up some stuff about classical music. Let's have a look online and find out something then we can create up some stories around it').

I do however slightly miss the quiz!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I admit to not having listened to the programme under the new rules.
                Actually there do seem to be more complete, if short, works today.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Hiya Cherrytree. Welcome to this forum. Do hope you will have a great time here!

I liked the segment of what could follow Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata. I thought of RVWE's At Night on a Beach Alone. Rather appropriate, in my opinion.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    I'm afraid Suzy Klein is for me the epitome of sycophancy and pretentiousness, in equal measure. But don't let me put others off!
                    I deKlein to differ.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Still here

Merged threads and new title - the old one did put people off if they wanted to proclaim their enjoyment
                      Last edited by french frank; 12-09-17, 12:04.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

Suzy Klein made a big thing this morning of telling us how much she was looking forward to Sarah Walker presenting Sunday Morning (from 1 October, it turns out), thereby soothing the troubled breasts of her admirers. Of course no such comfort is on offer for those of us who enjoyed James Jolly and Jonathan Swain's programmes, and who have seen them unceremoniously ditched.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          Welcome, Cherrytree!

I only noticed this morning that the 'guest spot' had been discontinued. I agree that most of the guests were of limited appeal and that their knowledge of classical music was often sketchy. (I often imagined their agents saying 'I've got you a spot on Radio Three but you're going to have to make up some stuff about classical music. Let's have a look online and find out something then we can create up some stories around it').
                          With Private Passions doing the job so brilliantly on Radio 3, I've never seen the point of the EC guest spot, which was more a sort of amateurish version of Desert Island Discs spread thinly over five days.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Cherrytree View Post
                            I can cope with change, but I'm not stupid and would appreciate an explanation or even an announcement that it has disappeared.
                            I can only give a listener's uninformed answer. It's usual for Radio 3 to make changes with the 'new season' (which begins when the Proms finish) and there were press releases, press articles and a discussion here about some of it. But of course they don't detail every individual change to every programme.

On this forum at least - and it does cover a pretty broad range of tastes - the brainteaser had a definite thumbs down. I doubt that had any influence, though. More to the point, the programme, its title, brainteaser, guest chat spot &c. was the invention of the previous controller and this controller has shown in various ways that he has different ideas for Radio 3.

Every change will be welcomed by some and decried by others.

Personally, I stopped listening when Essential Classics started as I don't want three hours of formula-based entertainment items (my view of the prog). I just want to listen to music. Long pieces. Preferably dividing the morning into two or three different programmes, each with a clear musical remit.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Well, we do have to give them a chance - in the knowledge that we're hovering over them like vultures.
                              Don't vultures like bleeding chunks ?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                I deKlein to differ.
                                Lovely radio voice with welcoming warmth and clarity. I also like Sarah Walker, warm Barnsley accent and loads of knowledge - served her time on Essential Classics - well deserved Sunday berth!

Comment

Working...
                                X