• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Just in case there was any doubt: I was being ironic I might as well have said 'the infamous BBC 'balance' '.
    I know (my own use of the expression was very much tongue-in-cheek).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

And with all due respect to the Geordies here re Breakfast, I really couldn't stand Bach, Ligeti, and Owen Brannigan singing the Blaydon races tucked in between the two. It isn't just a question of musical taste but of creating a certain mood and then shattering it.
      I see no respect here at all be it due or not .......

On the topic under discussion - I seem to recall The Squire did something similar - an immediate adverse comment from a listener - a while back, and IMVVHO it was bad form. As to RC, again IMVVHO, his sell buy date is a long way in the past ....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

It's been going on a lot longer than phone-in programmes, as I posted a while ago about an early 1970s broadcast that included a performance of Eisler's "Prayer for Peace", preceded by the introducer remarking, "Eisler was a pupil of Schoenberg, but in case anyone's worrying that this might be a 12-tone work, in this case there's no need to worry!"

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          It's been going on a lot longer than phone-in programmes, as I posted a while ago about an early 1970s broadcast that included a performance of Eisler's "Prayer for Peace", preceded by the introducer remarking, "Eisler was a pupil of Schoenberg, but in case anyone's worrying that this might be a 12-tone work, in this case there's no need to worry!"
          Yes, but were they sacked on the instant!!??
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Yes, but were they sacked on the instant!!??
            At that time I wouldn't have hung around in order to find out!

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Just in case there was any doubt: I was being ironic I might as well have said 'the infamous BBC 'balance' '.
              Walker on a tightrope kind of "balance", would that be?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Walker on a tightrope kind of "balance", would that be?
                Another question altogether . But I have a theory about those who complain of the lack of balance: in many cases it's more a case of too much balance …
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Another question altogether . But I have a theory about those who complain of the lack of balance: in many cases it's more a case of too much balance …
                  Sounds good to me, Frenchie!

Breakfast today is a General Election Free Zone, apart from the news bulletins! Yes!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

I cannot believe what I have just heard, namely that Petroc Trelawney has NEVER heard the Wilfred Brown performance of Finzi's Dies Natalis.
                    Never? Only the most noted of all interpretations and recordings and one that is not a stranger to the R3 airwaves?

O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                      I cannot believe what I have just heard, namely that Petroc Trelawney has NEVER heard the Wilfred Brown performance of Finzi's Dies Natalis.
                      Never? Only the most noted of all interpretations and recordings and one that is not a stranger to the R3 airwaves?

Hmm. I have never knowingly heard it either. Was PT using the Tardis to listen to Essential Classics?

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

Well he's heard it now - better late than never - and I thought from the way he spoke after the piece that it had made an impression. For those of us who already know of it what a lovely thing to have at the beginning of the day.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Was PT using the Tardis to listen to Essential Classics?
                          I can't think why people confuse Breakfast with Essential Classics every so often …

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I love this recording of Wilfred Brown singing Finzi with Finzi's son Christopher Finzi conducting.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• hmvman
                              • Mar 2007

I'm not a regular listener to this programme but I've been enjoying the Jon Snow interviews this week. Some interesting choices of music too; I particularly enjoyed the Finzi Eclogue and Rossini Petite Messe choices yesterday.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                                I'm not a regular listener to this programme but I've been enjoying the Jon Snow interviews this week. Some interesting choices of music too; I particularly enjoyed the Finzi Eclogue and Rossini Petite Messe choices yesterday.
                                And not forgetting the Howells, either! It's certainly been very good. Jon Snow on Radio 3 would be a very good catch, provided they have the right programme for him. maybe an improved The Choir, be rather good?
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X