• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... ferney - I feel your pain.

The only consolation - you had to put up with that imbecility and arseininity from the 'listener' (and from RC ... ) for a moment or two - whereas said 'listener' has to endure being an imbecile and an arse all his ( I bet it was a him ) silly life...
    The trouble with this is that the arsenical one would almost certainly be blissfully (or otherwise) unaware of his arsenicity wheras the rest of us would recognise it instantly.

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    And Bach is always here to save us
    As hopefully He always will be!

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The two poles of the programme were encapsulated for me at around 9:20 this morning when, after a superb performance of the Bach Triple Concerto BWV 1044 (complete) which really got me in a good mood, RC read out an assinine (no - that's not a spelling mistake!) tweet from a listener claiming that he didn't understand how someone who liked Bruckner could also mnngyer like listening to nnngye nnngyer this plinky-plonky-tonky-wonky mmnninniynggg harpsichordy wehinghymingey fnukfnnaaarrr gurgle stuff.

And THEN RC commented that this was a "fascinating" opinion!!!!!!!! No it wasn't - it was a public declaration of imbecility. What other fascinations might the chap shared - his perplexity with other matters beyond his intellectual compass - like spoons f'rinstance???!!!

Put me in a foul mood, I tell ye ... FOUL!!!!!
      It's pathetic! This concentration on tweets is torture. I'd better watch out or I'll be described as elitist!
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 21-10-16, 14:15.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Richard, just think how more annoying it would be if it had actually been scored for bagpipes.
        What he has played the opera 'Schwanda the Bagpiper'?
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 21-10-16, 14:15.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The email address is essentialclassics@bbc.co.uk if anyone felt moved to make a comment about the worthlessness of reading out an email like that on air. Rob gaves his 'answer' afterwards, but if he wanted to air his view he could have done so without reading out 'Rob(ert)'s' email at all, which was [sorry ferney, avert your eyes]:

"I just don't believe that someone who admires Mahler, Bruckner, Beethoven and everyone else like them [sic] can like this dreadful, tinkling piping Bach …"

If you're going to read it out, instead of saying "it's an interesting point, Robert", why not have the guts to say that as an opinion it's of zilch interest. Better still, make an editorial judgement on it and bin it.

The two poles of the programme were encapsulated for me at around 9:20 this morning when, after a superb performance of the Bach Triple Concerto BWV 1044 (complete) which really got me in a good mood, RC read out an assinine (no - that's not a spelling mistake!) tweet from a listener claiming that he didn't understand how someone who liked Bruckner could also mnngyer like listening to nnngye nnngyer this plinky-plonky-tonky-wonky mmnninniynggg harpsichordy wehinghymingey fnukfnnaaarrr gurgle stuff.

And THEN RC commented that this was a "fascinating" opinion!!!!!!!! No it wasn't - it was a public declaration of imbecility. What other fascinations might the chap shared - his perplexity with other matters beyond his intellectual compass - like spoons f'rinstance???!!!

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            What he has played the opera 'Schwanda the Bagpiper'?
            He played the overture on August 8, see here. He plays it every 2 or 3 months, so look out for it soon.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Didn’t one of the great British conductors say something like the harpsichord sounding like two cats on a tin roof* etc.? I guess a professional presenter like Jonathan Swain would have brought this out and turned the comment into something worth thinking about.

*or someone hitting a birdcage with a toasting folk if it needs to be suitable for the time of the day.
              Last edited by doversoul1; 21-10-16, 21:42.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                Didn’t one of the great British conductors say something like the harpsichord sounding like two cats on a tin roof* etc.? ...
                No, it was Tommy Beecham.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

The full quote....no, not worth repeating.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    And it was two skeletons ... er ... etc.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

RC just now: you can email, text, tweet,......... If you can't be bothered to do any of those you can just.......(something like sit back and enjoy the music).

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

RC just now: you can email, text, tweet,......... If you can't be bothered to do any of those you can just.......(something like sit back and enjoy the music).
                        Did he actually say the latter bit? If so it would surely have been something of a self-undermining exercise, n'est-ce pas? It might have been better had he said "you can email, text, tweet, call in - but none of these is compulsory and I'd like to assure listeners that Radio 3 does not frown on those who eschew all of these activities in favour of listening mainly to the music rather than to Rob Walker, Sarah Derham, &c.)...

All that said (or rather unsaid), I was recently sent a link (which I will wisely refrain from reproducing here) to an hour long interview recently broadcast on an American public radion station with a Scottish pianist whose first CD of a 2- (or possibly 3-) CD survey of the piano music of Ronald Stevenson has just been released and I was left wondering how on earth the said pianist managed to get through it all without throwing a Steinway Model D at the hapless, hopeless and frankly nauseating interviewer, by contrast with the manner and matter of whose presentation the very worst gaffes and tasteless irrelevances spouted forth from time to time by certain Radio 3 presenters would come across as manna from heaven; believe me, it was so execrable that, had said interviewer been a membver of Radio 3's staff and the item broadcast there, he would almost certainly be "presented" with a P45 prontissimo.
                        Last edited by ahinton; 26-10-16, 10:26.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Did he actually say the latter bit?
                          I interpreted the emoticon [] as meaning he stopped at the first bit and pulcie added the second bit as a desideratum.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

The only regular broadcasters I know who have a proper sense of self-deprecating, cleverly mocking irony about the whole panoply of the twittershpere are Eddie Mair [PM]and Paddy O'Connell [BH]. Both riveting.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              The only regular broadcasters I know who have a proper sense of self-deprecating, cleverly mocking irony about the whole panoply of the twittershpere are Eddie Mair [PM]and Paddy O'Connell [BH]. Both riveting.
                              I would add:

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              A real treat to have some sensible discourse among the music this week, too, thanks to Ian Skelly; amusing as well, I like the way he accommodates the need for listener tweets'n'emails by taking the mickey out of the correspondents... Such a change from the glutinous sycophancy of other presenters (in recent times, but still sometimes these days... Rob Cowan), praising even the lamest contribution as 'fascinating &c. &c.'.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Actually, I added the emoticon at the end of the typed message (yes, it was what he said) to express my irritation, but it hopped to the beginning of the post, so I left it there!

Comment

Working...
                                X