• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    Sneering in your ivory tower?
    What a bizarre post ? Was Noel Edmonds late today and you came over all a fluster .

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      It would be no surprise as the target audience is probably the sort of people who have a panic attack if Countdown or Deal or No Deal is moved by five minutes on Channel 4
      If you'd care to pop in round about teatime, I might let you admire my Countdown teapot.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Very odd. The auto-generated playlist for R3 seems unable to distinguish correctly between Eric Whitacre and Chris "Dow Jones" Whitacre, routinely crediting the latter with the former's compositions. But when you click on the link to Mr Whitacre (C "DJ" of that name) you're informed that there's no Wikipedia biography for him. Which there isn't. There is, on the other hand, a very substantial article on Eric Whitacre ... So how does the system get it wrong?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Very odd. The auto-generated playlist for R3 seems unable to distinguish correctly between Eric Whitacre and Chris "Dow Jones" Whitacre, routinely crediting the latter with the former's compositions. But when you click on the link to Mr Whitacre (C "DJ" of that name) you're informed that there's no Wikipedia biography for him. Which there isn't. There is, on the other hand, a very substantial article on Eric Whitacre ... So how does the system get it wrong?
          On a slightly different tack R3 programmers really communicate don't they. Today Essential Classics c10.00am Mozart Sym 39 DSO C Davis, Ao3 c2.50pm Mozart Sym 39 COE Nézet-Séguin. Lovely symphony, one of my favourites but broadcast so close together?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            On a slightly different tack R3 programmers really communicate don't they. Today Essential Classics c10.00am Mozart Sym 39 DSO C Davis, Ao3 c2.50pm Mozart Sym 39 COE Nézet-Séguin. Lovely symphony, one of my favourites but broadcast so close together?
            The announcer did point it out though, and suggested they were two very different performances... which is probably true (I could only listen to a bit of the second one).
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              The announcer did point it out though, and suggested they were two very different performances... which is probably true (I could only listen to a bit of the second one).
              Just an observation, unlike some works we hear frequently, I could feast on Mozart 39. lt does stand up to different interpretations - three of my favourites are Norrington, Kertesz and Klemperer!

Comment

• Don Petter

Interestingly, last night I was reading 'The Radio Companion' by Paul Donovan (HarperCollins 1991), which has the following as part of the entry for Radio 3:

About 20 per cent of the output is speech, and the remainder music. About two-thirds of that is live, much of it performed by one of the BBC's five orchestras. The network mounts a public or studio concert every day and, on average, two operas a week.

About 14,000 pieces of music are played on Radio 3 every year, but over 99 per cent go out only once or twice ... and no piece ever seems to receive more than fourteen performances over the course of a year.

My boldface, and cue Suffolkcoastal for a present day analysis? At that time the speech element referred to would mean actual speech programmes, not the current 20 per cent speech in most 'music' programmes.

The article continues with a 'Top Thirty' (actually twenty five given) analysis for 1990, as follows:

First (14 performances)
                Beethoven: Symphony 7
                Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
                Brahms: Symphony 4
                Debussy: La Mer
                R Strauss: Don Juan

Second (13)
                Beethoven: Prometheus Overture
                Dukas: Sorcerer's Apprentice
                Glinka: Russlan & Ludmilla Overture
                Schumann: Piano Concerto
                Schumann: Fantasiestucke, Op.73

Third (12)
                Chopin: Ballade 3
                Chopin: Ballade 4
                Debussy: Cello Sonata
                Elgar: Introduction & Allegro
                Mozart: Marriage of Figaro Overture
                Ravel: Mother Goose
                Schubert: Symphony 8
                R Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel

Fourth (11)
                Debussy: Iberia
                Mozart: Symphony 29
                Sibelius: Symphony 2
                R Strauss: Four Last Songs
                Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings
                Vaughan Williams: Lark Ascending
                Wagner: Siegfried Idyll

The interesting thing here, I find, apart from the actual selection, is the length of most of these popular works - not a predominance of shorties, albeit the lark scrapes in at the end.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  The interesting thing here, I find, apart from the actual selection, is the length of most of these popular works - not a predominance of shorties, albeit the lark scrapes in at the end.
                  Compare with the Top 23 in 2004 (played 14 times or more ):

26 Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
                  20 Wagner: Liebestod (from Tristan und Isolde)
                  19 Ravel: La valse
                  18 Mussorgsky: (St John's) Night on the bare mountain
                  18 Schubert: Symphony no.8
                  17 Beethoven: Coriolan overture
                  16 Mendelssohn: Scottish symphony
                  16 Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro overture
                  16 Mussorgsky: Pictures from an exhibition
                  16 Ravel: Ma mère l'oye (Mother Goose) suite/ballet

15 Beethoven: Symphony no.7
                  15 Bernstein: Candide overture
                  15 Brahms: Academic festival overture
                  15 Debussy: L'isle joyeuse
                  15 Saint-Saëns: Danse macabre
                  15 Strauss: Don Juan

14 Barber: Adagio for strings
                  14 Chabrier: España
                  14 Debussy: La mer
                  14 Ravel: Pavane pour une infante défunte
                  14 Rossini: La gazza ladra (Thieving magpie) overture
                  14 Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet fantasy overture
                  14 Wagner: Tannhäuser overture

A total of 83 were played at least 11 times (as against the 23 in 1990) and a further 38 pieces were played 10 times. Additional snippets from these works not included in the total.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

I find it too difficult to monitor how many times every single work is played on R3, it would just take too much of my time. So I select a group of works that have seemed popular and monitor those, though my totals will include extracts (including extracts played in Words and Music). I do try and count every extract/complete work by every 'classical' composer though so I can as near as possible the total amount of complete works/extracts for each composer in a given year. I have also monitored the number of complete performances of symphonies by each composer this year. I can reveal that it looks like a majority of the warhorses I been monitoring this year have increased from last year, the the case of the Four Seasons the total has increased 2 and a half times! Danse Macabre is almost double the 2004 figure, La Mer even more than that. One of the few warhorses to have fallen this year is La Valse which has halved and been replaced by Alborado del Gracioso. The Eroica is Beethoven's most broadcast symphony by a fair margin this year.

I should have the survey ready early in January, it always takes longer at this time of year as I have the unpleasant task of having to listen (via i player) to all of Breakfast & Essential Classics as the playlists are rarely updated accurately. The EC playlists haven't been updated all week!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I was driving around the country a lot this week and on the two occasions I heard essential classics there were full performances of works ! Is this a special Christmas treat - the standout was Mozart's Piano Quintet one day with Horsley and the Dennis Brain Wind Ensemble.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

probably the sort of people who have a panic attack if Countdown or Deal or No Deal is moved by five minutes on Channel 4
                        Don't mock! I still expect The Archers to be broadcast at 6.45 p.m.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I was driving around the country a lot this week and on the two occasions I heard essential classics there were full performances of works ! Is this a special Christmas treat - the standout was Mozart's Piano Quintet one day with Horsley and the Dennis Brain Wind Ensemble.
                          No, many FWs are played, the BCs are usually in the guess spot, the guest spot and other annoying exceptions. Apart from these it is usually a good programme.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

No, many FWs are played, the BCs are usually in the guess spot, the guest spot and other annoying exceptions. Apart from these it is usually a good programme.
                            I think that's a fair comment, in that you can catch very good individual pieces. But I don't find the concept of the programme appealing, and don't care to navigate around all the unwanted 'features'.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I think that's a fair comment, in that you can catch very good individual pieces. But I don't find the concept of the programme appealing, and don't care to navigate around all the unwanted 'features'.
                              Precisely, we need to wean the suits off the peripherals!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                                • Nov 2010

What has gone wrong this morning? Bach keyboard music played on a harpsichord - such a rare treat on Radio 3 these days

Comment

Working...
                                X