Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    What if anything should be read into the croos-bencher status of Michael Fitzhardinge Berkeley, Baron Berkeley of Knighton, CBE, since he followed his godfather into that august institution the House of Lords?
    Hopefully putting whatever time he spends there to good use, on behalf of the arts. He speaks up for Lords reform in a non-partisan sort of way. A pedant writes ( ): he didn't exactly follow his godfather, as the latter didn't enter the place - he was only given his peerage in the June before he died.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Hopefully putting whatever time he spends there to good use, on behalf of the arts. He speaks up for Lords reform in a non-partisan sort of way. A pedant writes ( ): he didn't exactly follow his godfather, as the latter didn't enter the place - he was only given his peerage in the June before he died.....
      And afterwards then, his disappeerage.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Hopefully putting whatever time he spends there to good use, on behalf of the arts.
        He has certainly spoken up for Radio 3 and its derisory funding - saying he was happy to take a cut of one third in his fee for PPs when required to do so if it would help Radio 3.

"Are the Government aware of the very considerable savings that have already been made by the corporation, as audited by the National Audit Office? As an example, I mentioned recently that I had accepted a cut of one-third of my fee for the programme that I contribute to Radio 3. I must apologise to noble Lords that this came out, and was taken up by the press, as a cut to one-third rather than by one-third. On hearing this, a colleague suggested that I should declare a disinterest rather than an interest."

http://www.publications.parliament.u...50714-0002.htm 14 July, col 528, 7.54pm (so even working out of hours).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lento
          • Jan 2014

Louis de Bernières talking with genuine enthusiasm re music this week.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lento View Post
            Louis de Bernières talking with genuine enthusiasm re music this week.
            Maybe.

Personally, I would prefer they dumped the whole chat show concept. However, if they have to dilute the musical nectar with desultory natter, how much better it would be if they had actual musicians, or industry insiders as the guests. Surely, a Neville Marriner, or a Mitsuko Uchida would make a far more entertaining guest, with their knowledge of music and the biz. Some actual account of how records are made, interpretative and technical challenges of the repertoire, balancing commercial imperatives with artistic interests- how much more insightful a programme this would make!

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Maybe.

Personally, I would prefer they dumped the whole chat show concept. However, if they have to dilute the musical nectar with desultory natter, how much better it would be if they had actual musicians, or industry insiders as the guests. Surely, a Neville Marriner, or a Mitsuko Uchida would make a far more entertaining guest, with their knowledge of music and the biz. Some actual account of how records are made, interpretative and technical challenges of the repertoire, balancing commercial imperatives with artistic interests- how much more insightful a programme this would make!
              Hiya Sir Velo,

Well said Sir! But there is no chance of that happening. The management at Radio 3 is obsessed with interaction with the listener and the cult of the celebrity (I keep expecting to hear the ubiquitous Fiona Bruce presenting one day). Radio 3 is becoming like Classic FM more and more each day. In fact I tend to listen to Classic FM most of the time
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 10-02-16, 15:08.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Personally, I would prefer they dumped the whole chat show concept.
                Yes, indeed. If people switch on to hear (classical) music, they don't want to hear Desert Island Discs. It makes the programme a turn-off when it starts off as a continuation of Breakfast and then has a quiz and celebrity before finally getting around to the first full length piece of music of the morning … No thanks, as far as I'm concerned.

Guests aren't supposed to be musicians because people who know about music are off-putting to the intended listeners: they 'intimidate' by their superior knowledge and are better kept to composer of the Week and Discovering Music … erm, well, to Composer of the Week, anyway.

The inescapable fact is that Essential Classics was conceived as an easy programme for 'beginners' (like Breakfast). It was told to steer clear of the 'heavy stuff'. Until it's replaced with a different kind of programme, this is all there is. Take it or leave it.

It's an indy production, but let's hope when the contract ends there'll be something uniformly better than what we have.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  It's an indy production
                  Is that why so little of his Music is broadcast on it?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    :-P

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      :-P
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        d'(oh!)...

But please don't give them ideas; they might start a Fauré into Broadway Chaussons next. Dukasn't believe me? (sorry, FF!) You wait and see! Then you'll really have something to Niggle and Barraqué bout!

I'll get me manteau (sans maître)...

Comment

• Zucchini
                          • Nov 2010

Thank you Mr Hinton. We'll let you know...

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Dukasn't believe me? (sorry, FF!)
                            It's Theekasn't in English, silly boy !

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                              Thank you Mr Hinton. We'll let you know...
                              A pleasure - but please don't, especially as you did not indicate what you might let me know!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

, how much better it would be if they had actual musicians, or industry insiders as the guests. Surely, a Neville Marriner, or a Mitsuko Uchida would make a far more entertaining guest, with their knowledge of music and the biz.
                                There is an implication here, which I trust was unintentional, that only musicians have anything of note to say about music. There are folks around who earn their money in professions other than music who nonetheless are active in or knowledgeable about music, and similarly there are musicians who are knowledgeable about matters non-musical. I found the Louis be Berniere chats that I heard interesting. The context may be wrong(the whole 'what the hell is this morning programme meant to be or achieve') but I don't think the content needs to be summarily dismissed because of that. Intelligent choice of 'guests ' and a better constructed setting could be something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                                X