Ever apologised for playing the wrong track, Sara?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Ever apologised for playing the wrong track, Sara?

I've noticed that Sara NEVER apologises (unlike Rob). Today she played the wrong movement of Carmina Burana in response to a listener's 'Your Choice' request. A nice-sounding old German chap regaled us (on a bad line) with a story about how, as a child, he was terrified by hearing the lament of the roasting swan on the radio, and thinking that the green light on the family radio was the eye of the swan. He referred to the movement as 'In Taverna', which is in fact the section in which the lament appears. Sara made a big fuss about how terrified he must have been, then played the first movement of In Taverna, which is very obviously a drinking chorus and nothing to do with a roasting swan. She then post-announced it and went on again about how terrifying this roasting swan's lament must have been for a young child. I even went to the trouble of emailing the programme immediately to tell them of the error. No apology was forthcoming before the end of the programme, just more witterings about whether we've ever apologised for our love of classical music.
    For heaven's sake. If they're going to have this dreadful listener interaction, they ought at least to have some respect for the people who call in, play the right music, and apologise if they fail to do so.
  • Bax-of-Delights
    • Nov 2010

While I could hardly hear what the German fellow was saying I was puzzled by the music played as it didn't seem to fit the story.

Another masterful innovation.
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Yes: what was amusing was that Sara had obviously been briefed as to the story as she appeared to be 'interpreting' for him: telling the story on his behalf; and yet she (and her producer/production team) failed to spot the obvious discrepancy. The idiocy of it made my blood boil (possibly even more than the William Tell/Lone Ranger incident at the end of the first week of the 'masterful innovation'.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Maybe she might notice such oversights if she wasn't so busy spending most of her time Twittering.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

i had only just turned the radio on, and turned it off immediately this feature started .... the thought that went through my mind [sic] as i enjoyed the absence of twittering chat was that i can not think of any one who likes to hear talk in the early morning actually listening to £3 instead of R4 ... why not shove this idiocy on to In Tune and let Raffers marinade the twaddle, after all he is world class at that ... and in a traffic hold up one is much more likely to do the radio equivalent of reading the labels on sauce bottles eh ...
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Never apologise, never explain.

Comment

Working...
            X