Ever Apologised for Your Love of Classical Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Presumably RW and co consider the loss of whole swathes of existing R3 listeners for large chunks of the week a price worth paying?

I was appalled by this - I just caught it driving to work, along with the Carmina Burana fiasco.
    Smp's just askd what listrnrs ar doiung whil listning to r3: i hav rspondd in th most scatologically appropriat way.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Asking for trouble at this time of day. Funnily enough she has asked this or something very like it before. I think she's an innocent, really.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I've tried her twice and each time she was playing music I can't stand.

I apologise for trying

Thank heavens for my recording of Piers Burton-Page's piano music section from Saturday's CD Review
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2007

No, and I don't see why I should. I agree with the comment that other people wouldn't apologise for their taste!
          I've not been listening to anything in the car recently as I am giving a colleague a lift to work so haven't heard the recent discussions on breakfast.
          Best regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• Tapiola
            • Jan 2011

In answer to the original question, no I haven't. This Twitter business makes me feel embarrassed for the girl. And her reference to stroking JEG's "cantatas" has given me the creeps I suppose, at his age, JEG should be grateful

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
              And her reference to stroking JEG's "cantatas" has given me the creeps
              I just read that and am similarly creeped-out...

"Come upstairs my dear, and I'll show you my canticles"
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                "Come upstairs my dear, and I'll show you my canticles"
                "... and I can assure you of an historically informed performance..."

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

..hopefully on an original instrument, though maybe a modern copy would be more reliable.

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Agreed, Micky. Use of original instruments risks a disastrous drop in pitch at crucial moments.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Not in my case to loving classical music - or most aspects of it - but I have described myself as a musical snob for my love of some classical music and most of jazz and blues.

As an unreconstructed lefty trying and failing to adjust to Postmodernist relativism I am interested in and in some instances love other musical genres too, but when it comes to pop and a lot of rock music I am more interested in them as manifestations of our time than actually liking much of what they have had to offer, seeing their product as mostly patronising, existing to reflect shallow mass socially engineered taste, coming from an ephemeral aesthetic directed to rapid turnover, rather than challenging and broadening the range of human feeling and perspective deserving and capable of musical and artistic expression.

But, given that several posters on this forum with clearly right-wing views might concur with the abovespoken, I sometimes wonder if this does make me a musical snob, or whether it offers me some meagre hope that we might all come to an agreement as to what constitutes civilisation, in the Kenneth Clarke sense.

S-A
                      I agree that much of the output of the popular music industry is, and has been, engineered to keep its audience dumb.

But some life enhancing, top quality stuff gets through. Alex Harvey, elvis costello, difford and tilbrook,radiohead to name just a few at random, are people who have made music of the highest quality, and enhanced the lives of true music lovers the world over. But the rock and pop industry just produces more and more bland nonsense, so other genres, such as folk, benefit from the energy and talent of young people.
                      Good example...todays young folk musicians don;t apologise for their involvement in a music that hails from the past... they celebrate their rediscovery of it.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        In the same way that everybody who ever bought a supertramp or Thompson Twins record should excuse themselves.Although they should apologise too.
                        I must apologise,I like Supertramp!

Comment

• old khayyam

Ever felt the need to apologise for reading Twitter?

No, because i don't.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

You don't read it or you don't apologise for reading it?

Comment

Working...
                            X