Ever Apologised for Your Love of Classical Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum
    • Sep 2024

Ever Apologised for Your Love of Classical Music?

She has.
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
    She has.
    Never apologised for my love of and interest in classical music of any kind to not-classical-music-interested-barbarians(though I did to an opera-lover as opera [and baroque music for that matter] are a kind of black hole in my appreciation and knowledge )

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

never apologised for my love of any kind of music, or indeed anything else.
      Obviously not going to.

Have sometimes excused my youthful enjoyment of certain pieces of music.

In the same way that everybody who ever bought a supertramp or Thompson Twins record should excuse themselves.Although they should apologise too.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

She has.
        Weird. And she seems to be repeating the apology at ten hour intervals. Some sort of penitence?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
          • Nov 2010

Do you think they have anyone on R1 or R2 who states "Ever apologised for your love of pop or MOR music?"

No. Thought not.
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
            Do you think they have anyone on R1 or R2 who states "Ever apologised for your love of pop or MOR music?"

No. Thought not.
            "Own up: ever felt need to apologise for your love of classical music? Mine's the first hand up. @BBCRadio3 Breakfast".

Obviously mixing in the wrong company
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Can you imagine Glock, Keller, Drummond asking that question? Or allowing any of their announcers to articulate it on air?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Not in my case to loving classical music - or most aspects of it - but I have described myself as a musical snob for my love of some classical music and most of jazz and blues.

As an unreconstructed lefty trying and failing to adjust to Postmodernist relativism I am interested in and in some instances love other musical genres too, but when it comes to pop and a lot of rock music I am more interested in them as manifestations of our time than actually liking much of what they have had to offer, seeing their product as mostly patronising, existing to reflect shallow mass socially engineered taste, coming from an ephemeral aesthetic directed to rapid turnover, rather than challenging and broadening the range of human feeling and perspective deserving and capable of musical and artistic expression.

But, given that several posters on this forum with clearly right-wing views might concur with the abovespoken, I sometimes wonder if this does make me a musical snob, or whether it offers me some meagre hope that we might all come to an agreement as to what constitutes civilisation, in the Kenneth Clarke sense.

S-A

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

No. Why on earth would I?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

I think this was a highly instructive 'reveal' - at a deep level, radio 3 is currently ashamed of its involvement with, and celebration of, serious classical music - and it voices this by a pathetic reaching out to a wider world which might have felt the need to 'apologise' for its love of serious music. Awful, disastrous, wretched....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

She has.
                      This is quite appalling. But then, so is Twitter.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        I think this was a highly instructive 'reveal' - at a deep level, radio 3 is currently ashamed of its involvement with, and celebration of, serious classical music - and it voices this by a pathetic reaching out to a wider world which might have felt the need to 'apologise' for its love of serious music. Awful, disastrous, wretched....

A very good point. I agree one hundred percent. And how very sad!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          I think this was a highly instructive 'reveal' - at a deep level, radio 3 is currently ashamed of its involvement with, and celebration of, serious classical music - and it voices this by a pathetic reaching out to a wider world which might have felt the need to 'apologise' for its love of serious music.
                          But they know they have us outnumbered, out in the 'wider' world. And that's all that matters.

Yes, awful, disastrous, wretched.... unprincipled.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Apologise? WHY?
                            I have however been asked on a few occasions how I can possibly love for example The Stranglers or The Clash as much as Britten or Brahms.
                            The answer is I can't explain why but I do!
                            Why should anyone have to apologise for loving any kind of music? Very odd.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              But they know they have us outnumbered, out in the 'wider' world. And that's all that matters.
                              Presumably RW and co consider the loss of whole swathes of existing R3 listeners for large chunks of the week a price worth paying?

I was appalled by this - I just caught it driving to work, along with the Carmina Burana fiasco.

Comment

Working...
                              X