Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cavatina

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    You might be able to help me on this. I've done a search on 'stomach-churning' and 'disc-spinning' and the only post that shows up is yours, as above.

In which case, yes, we're lucky she didn't come up with something worse ...

But maybe the software is at fault ...
    Found it--she's actually quoting from Michael White's critical article in the Telegraph.

"That these arguments are either not being advanced, or are falling on deaf ears, is depressingly clear from the new schedules that are at the heart of the current scrap. Wright has called them “refreshing”, but they look like more of the same: a descent into banality. More ill-informed chat. More drivetime disc-spinning. And more audience participation – with the stomach-churning threat of phone-ins so that listeners can warm each other’s hearts with reminiscences of how they first heard Carmina Burana on their honeymoon, or during a school trip to Prestatyn."

Wow, that's embarassingly sloppy. Not much to say in defense of that, is there.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
      Not much to say in defense of that, is there.
      Just, in terms of the media: QED

And thank you, btw!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pilamenon
        • Nov 2010

Jazz Library

Very disappointed indeed to discover that Jazz Library has disappeared from Saturday afternoon. I have always thought this was one of the most informative music programmes on R3, and somehow that mid-late afternoon slot seemed absolutely perfect for it.

I see it has been replaced by "Saturday Classics" - a miserably lazy title, very much in the mould of Classic FM, no doubt deliberately so.

I truly despair of R3 sometimes - thank heavens for the live concerts on weekday evenings and the retention of Composer of the Week (though how much longer will DMcL go on for?).

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
          Very disappointed indeed to discover that Jazz Library has disappeared from Saturday afternoon. I have always thought this was one of the most informative music programmes on R3, and somehow that mid-late afternoon slot seemed absolutely perfect for it.

I see it has been replaced by "Saturday Classics" - a miserably lazy title, very much in the mould of Classic FM, no doubt deliberately so.

I truly despair of R3 sometimes - thank heavens for the live concerts on weekday evenings and the retention of Composer of the Week (though how much longer will DMcL go on for?).
          Doubly agree, pilamenon.

The more 'malcontents' who voice their protests when RW appears on Feedback the better. More follows ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MarkG
            • Apr 2011

Just caught the beginning of the 'Sunday Morning' programme. Is it just Cowan Collection under a different name?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
              Just caught the beginning of the 'Sunday Morning' programme. Is it just Cowan Collection under a different name?
              Probably - but now three hours long.

They originally said Rob would be alternating with James Jolly, but I have heard that Rob will get the lion's share.

Comment

• David Samuels

It has now become impossible to listen to R3 before CotW, and sometimes not even then! My CD player is working overtime. I shall certainly write and complain (again, again and again, until the last syllable of recorded time).

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

The only morning in the week on which it's worth turning on R3 at all before midday is Saturday. I would say though that I thought yesterday's CD Review was extremely good. Some new chamber music discs to start, including a broadcast of the beautiful slow movement from Haydn's op 20 no 1 quartet; a well-judged BaL on Haydn's Military symphony by Robert Philip; a review of discs of (fairly) modern music by AMcG; a discussion between AMcG and Rob Cowan about the new set of Concertgebouw Orchestra recordings; and concluding with a complete broadcast of a quite glorious performance of Frauenliebe und -leben by Miah Persson and Joseph Breinl. A programme like that makes up in part for the drought during weekday and Sunday mornings.

Comment

• MarkG
                    • Apr 2011

The original Cowan Collection was ok I thought.

So after several years and a number of formats we're back where we were on Sunday mornings with Rob playing CDs.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                      The original Cowan Collection was ok I thought.

So after several years and a number of formats we're back where we were on Sunday mornings with Rob playing CDs.
                      not quite - it is a downward spiral not a circle in that the vox pop emails tweets etc play a much larger role than in past when Rob put together a reasonably coherent programme based on CDs without the need to act as a trailer for future programmes or to include a certain % of well known pieces.

Comment

• David Samuels

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        TA programme like that makes up in part for the drought during weekday and Sunday mornings.
                        Sadly, only the very smallest part.

Comment

• Shahrazad
                          • Sep 2011

[QUOTE=cavatina;84064]Found it--she's actually quoting from Michael White's critical article in the Telegraph.

This article says it all, I think, and very articulately and passionately. The audience figures are up, but the amount of time people spend with radio 3 is down. I'm another person who is sadly turning off Breakfast after years of listening. I can't see how anyone - even those who want to popularise the programme -could see Petroc's return to the morning slot as an improvement

I look forward to hearing more about the Feedback programme on the schedule changes. Do you think listeners stand a chance of getting our views listened to and not dismissed?

Comment

• cavatina

[QUOTE=Shahrazad;84883]
                            Originally posted by cavatina View Post
                            Found it--she's actually quoting from Michael White's critical article in the Telegraph.
                            This article says it all, I think, and very articulately and passionately.
                            I think White undercut his own message by kicking things off with a hugely unwarranted slew of cheap shots about the Royal Albert Hall concert lighting. Seriously, what kind of fusty old curmudgeon equates colourful lights with a sleazy club? He makes himself sound like the worst kind of irritable old killjoy who'll gripe about anything, right in the opening paragraph. And the fact that a change in lighting is all it takes to put him off the music is quite damning in itself.

The last four paragraphs were thoughtful and well-written, but the tone he sets with his opening certainly gives one pause to think twice. "Says it all" indeed.

I look forward to hearing more about the Feedback programme on the schedule changes. Do you think listeners stand a chance of getting our views listened to and not dismissed?
                            No, not particularly. I worked in the music business too long.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Shahrazad View Post
                              Take no notice of cavatina - she knows nothing about Feedback

Listeners certainly do stand a chance, though the way it's going there will be too many responses to guarantee yours will be chosen. Don't let you stop you writing, though!

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Take no notice of cavatina - she knows nothing about Feedback
                                Listeners certainly do stand a chance, though the way it's going there will be too many responses to guarantee yours will be chosen. Don't let you stop you writing, though!

Oh bah humbug--you know as well as I do "getting airtime" and "getting listened to" are two entirely different animals. But hey, knock yourselves out.

Comment

Working...
                                X