• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Hear! Hear!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gingerkinter View Post
      Less talk, more music and definitely no phone in chatter please.
      Great first post, ginger Agreed!

And in fact, having turned on R3 almost an hour ago (my first exposure to the new schedule), they're doing quite well as regards complying with those precepts - plus there's been some non-obvious music as a bonus.

No idea what's playing now, missed Rob's announcement - rather nice...

EDIT: I apparently fell for the 'brain teaser' (*forbidden smiley*) - so I still don't know what it is, as people are busy texting in and Rob doesn't want to spoil the fun
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 13-09-11, 09:45.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

The "brain teaser" was your fave composer Caliban - Tchaikovsky!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          The "brain teaser" was your fave composer Caliban - Tchaikovsky!!
          You are a tease Anna !! I know... but I did say "rather nice"... not "really great music"...

PS: you're wrong, my absolute favourite composer is Liszt !!

I don't think the new programmes are bad, do you? You may have heard more than me.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            You are a tease Anna !!
            I know, and don't you love it!
            I don't think the new programmes are bad, do you? You may have heard more than me.
            Petroc's Breakfast is cringeworthy to the Nth degree and I have no wish ever to turn it on again but Rob's Essential Classics, from what I have heard so far is ok, will have to see how the 'guest' slot pans out, I don't see what value this segment adds to the programme unless one has a particular interest in the guest. So, on the basis that the last hour is a complete work (today is Symphony Fantastique which I rather like) and Rob doesn't seem to waffle too much I'd give it 8/10 plus the music he's been playing so far is to my taste
            Last edited by Guest; 13-09-11, 10:26. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
              • Nov 2010

But it is the same old, same old isn't it.

Symphonie Fantastique gets more than a fair share of regular outings and Four Sea Interludes was wheeled out once more. There is an air of desperation about the "interview" with the special guest - a false earnestness that sounds flat as if the interviewer was searching for something, anything, to connect to the music.
              After the 3 minutes of Messiaen - nice bleeding chunk - we got the revelation that Rob sits in his garden late at night listening to the birds. "Do you do that, Mark?"
              One can imagine the guest going boggle-eyed and trying to come up with an answer that doesn't sound like "are you bonkers?"
              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                There is an air of desperation about the "interview" with the special guest - a false earnestness that sounds flat as if the interviewer was searching for something, anything, to connect to the music.
                After the 3 minutes of Messiaen - nice bleeding chunk - we got the revelation that Rob sits in his garden late at night listening to the birds. "Do you do that, Mark?"
                One can imagine the guest going boggle-eyed and trying to come up with an answer that doesn't sound like "are you bonkers?"
                very true!

I listened through to the first 2 movements of the Berlioz (the redeeming element is that I am always happy to hear interpretations suggested by Mr Cowan that I don't know)... but my reaction to the interview part was precisely yours, that desperation to find some link, some hook... This is Sue Lawley / Kirsty Wark territory, daft to have it day in day out like that on Radio 3. Private Passions spread thin...

One can only imagine what barrels will be scraped in a year from now if they're on to a TV gardener in week 2...

I'll try and switch on earlier to hear what is so toe-curling about breakfast with Petroc

Can you prepare me, Anna? What made your metatarsels tense?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

The mind does boggle, Caliban!!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

I'll try and switch on earlier to hear what is so toe-curling about breakfast with Petroc Can you prepare me, Anna? What made your metatarsels tense?
                    My msg 861 on the Eternal Breakfast thread explains all but I only listened to the programme from 8 to 9am, I may have caught the worst of it! But, oh, it was dire in the extreme. Oh, did you know the Lovely Lang Lang was top of the charts? But guess who's chasing him? Yes, everybody's new favourite, Benjamin Grosvenor. And I didn't mention the rustling of newspapers and being told there was a lovely big pic of Prince Harry at the Stock Exchange? And, as I said, the awful phone in. Actually skip the Enid Blyton comparison, as her new brothers couldn't find the needles it may have been Brideshead Revisited crossed with Swallows & Amazons. Believe me Duckie, you really don't want to go there ........

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

My msg 861 on the Eternal Breakfast thread explains all but I only listened to the programme from 8 to 9am, I may have caught the worst of it! But, oh, it was dire in the extreme. Oh, did you know the Lovely Lang Lang was top of the charts? But guess who's chasing him? Yes, everybody's new favourite, Benjamin Grosvenor. And I didn't mention the rustling of newspapers and being told there was a lovely big pic of Prince Harry at the Stock Exchange? And, as I said, the awful phone in. Actually skip the Enid Blyton comparison, as her new brothers couldn't find the needles it may have been Brideshead Revisited crossed with Swallows & Amazons. Believe me Duckie, you really don't want to go there ........
                      OK - just been over there and had a read... I have trouble with the unctuous Mr Très-horny at the best of times, early morning chit-chat Petroc sounds like a very bad start to the day.

The trouble is, I do like to hear new performances and new pieces sometimes, and not simply (it's not so simple actually) select stuff from my collection.

I'm thinking that the solution is this: on the SD card in the bedside DAB radio, I am going to set Through The Night to record each weekday night. Then upon waking, I simply press play to hear the night's show for as long as I have available, and for later in the day if in that part of the house.

Might start that this evening

Comment

• Anna

I think I've been a little bit unfair to Petroc. As I had only listened to the 8 to 9am section I then put the whole programme on iplayer. From 6.30 it's ok, it goes downhill from approx 7.50 when he gets really matey and chatty asks you to email in names of the oldest conductors/musicians and the emails, trails etc., start so I think anyone would be safe listening to the first hour and a quarter without getting upset.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I think I've been a little bit unfair to Petroc. As I had only listened to the 8 to 9am section I then put the whole programme on iplayer. From 6.30 it's ok, it goes downhill from approx 7.50 when he gets really matey and chatty asks you to email in names of the oldest conductors/musicians and the emails, trails etc., start so I think anyone would be safe listening to the first hour and a quarter without getting upset.
                          My alarm is usually set for.... 7.50

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

<<I'm thinking that the solution is this: on the SD card in the bedside DAB radio, I am going to set Through The Night to record each weekday night. Then upon waking, I simply press play to hear the night's show for as long as I have available, and for later in the day if in that part of the house. >>

I wish I had this degree of technical capability. The situation is now critical and the only sensible response is along the lines you suggest.

Not wishing to be naieve, but I really find it gob smacking that people think this new recipe is actually a good idea. From hearing the first trail for it I knew at once that it would succeed only in getting on my tits.

I find it very dispiriting also that intelligent people such as PT and RC will participate in such utter inanity.

Shocking.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                              <<I'm thinking that the solution is this: on the SD card in the bedside DAB radio, I am going to set Through The Night to record each weekday night. Then upon waking, I simply press play to hear the night's show for as long as I have available, and for later in the day if in that part of the house. >>

I wish I had this degree of technical capability. The situation is now critical and the only sensible response is along the lines you suggest.

Not wishing to be naieve, but I really find it gob smacking that people think this new recipe is actually a good idea. From hearing the first trail for it I knew at once that it would succeed only in getting on my tits.

I find it very dispiriting also that intelligent people such as PT and RC will participate in such utter inanity.

Shocking.
                              This is what I use. It is simplicity itself if funds, or (in a little over 3 months ) Santa, permit.

In the middle at the bottom, you will see a little slot - it takes an SD card, which can record up to 30, 40, 50 etc hours of music (depending on how many GB, they range from 0.5GB upwards, and can be purchased on t'internet for very little). You can listen to your recordings as easily as radio, and delete to reuse the space at will.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

One might well ask - why need to go to all that trouble - and any expense at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X