The New Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

No. 15 is stupid If you are entertaining friends, is there a particular piece you would put on?
    Because if you are entertaining friends anything you put on will be purely background wallpaper music and not intended to be heard above the conversation won't it?

I think we've had No. 18 on the MB quite recently?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-11, 22:07. Reason: extra thought

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      No. 15 is stupid If you are entertaining friends, is there a particular piece you would put on?
      Because if you are entertaining friends anything you put on will be purely background wallpaper music and not intended to be heard above the conversation won't it?

I think we've had No. 18 on the MB quite recently?
      ....and we've almost certainly had nos. 1-17 and 19-20, in some form or other, on other occasions.
      Would anybody care to nominate their Top 20 reasons for liking, or not liking, these 20 questions?

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

My top twenty reasons for disliking all of them is that we are moving further and further away from the Third Programme and Radio 3, which have accompanied me through my last 60 or so years. The music educated
        me, the announcers/presenters were my friends. RC is a damned good broadcaster and very knowledgeable man and I just hope he can salvage something from the mess that his bosses have got the station into.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
          Would anybody care to nominate their Top 20 reasons for liking, or not liking, these 20 questions?
          No 1. They necessitate uninteresting talk rather than the playing of music.

Nos 2-20 Ditto.

(NB These are reasons for disliking)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• old khayyam

On the good side, Capital Gold have revamped their playlists and therefore improved my quality of life considerably, social butterfly that i am..

Comment

• Janthefan

What I cannot understand is how Petroc has got his greasy hands on the early morning programme again, when he was so awful when he had it before.
              I just cannot bear his presentation style at any time of day, least of all in the morning. Some seem to think he has improved, but I'm afraid I'm allergic to the sound of his voice.
              Ah well, at least I'll have more time to listen to my CDs....

x Jan x

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Janthefan View Post
                What I cannot understand is how Petroc has got his greasy hands on the early morning programme again, when he was so awful when he had it before.
                I just cannot bear his presentation style at any time of day, least of all in the morning. Some seem to think he has improved, but I'm afraid I'm allergic to the sound of his voice.

x Jan x
                Of course, in theory it shouldn't matter who is presenting the music - but R3 in its wisdom (or stupidity) has built a cult of personality around these "CD player operators", so have created the problem. There are very few of them I can listen to! (Natalie Wheen was good, but they let her go elsewhere!)

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Janthefan View Post

x Jan x
                  Can't believe a cornishwoman would say such a thing.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                    Can't believe a cornishwoman would say such a thing.
                    "Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
                    Will know the reason why."

(Sorry. Panjandrum's comment just reminded me of The New National Song Book from my early schooldays.)

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      I'm probably in a minority, but I would argue that in this situation you are not LISTENING to the music!
                      It strikes me that this is the nub of the problem:

I would regard myself as a "listener", but most of my listening is done while performing other tasks (driving/reading/penning green ink letters to RW/whatever). I rarely sit down and do nothing but listen to the music.

The majority of contributors to these boards, I would suggest, would not regard the former as listening and require complete works, uninterrupted by chat, txts, news etc.

I am generally quite happy with the short pieces and chat, especially at the times I listen to the radio (mainly drivetime). I would again suggest that both types of listener can be catered for on R3. In my view, in the current economic climate, it is not reasonable for the "serious listener" to expect to retain a whole radio station solely devoted to their type of listening. Yes, it is paid for out of their taxes (as has been mentioned in some posts on these boards), but it is also paid for out of everyone elses taxes too. I have no interest in sport - it doesn't mean I think Radio five live should be axed.

OG

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        I would regard myself as a "listener", but most of my listening is done while performing other tasks (driving/reading/penning green ink letters to RW/whatever). I rarely sit down and do nothing but listen to the music.
                        The problem with that is that if Radio 3 devotes the entire morning (five and a half hours) to that kind of listening and/or that kind of listener it is simply competing with Classic FM.

The whole point about Radio 3 was [sic] that it should operate at a different level, that it should assume a degree of listener engagement that went beyond satisfaction with musical wallpaper. It isn't as though the live concerts are beyond the casual listener, so what actually is aimed at the even halfway knowledgeable listener? What is left?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I would love to create a radio station, purely for the music!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

poor Mr Cowan having to work Sunday mornings as well. still, his 3 hour stint starting 18/9/11 looks promising.
                            and 2 hours of Gareth Malone on Saturdays starting 17/9/11
                            don't know why I'm fixated on the presenters, it's the music that matters
                            Last edited by mercia; 10-09-11, 06:04.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              poor Mr Cowan having to work Sunday mornings as well.
                              It's great for the Rob Cowan fans, isn't it? I did hear that James Jolly was going to get a bit of a look-in too, but perhaps he's decided the demotion isn't worth bothering with. Well, as usual, we shan't know until everything is in place ...

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                poor Mr Cowan having to work Sunday mornings as well. still, his 3 hour stint starting 18/9/11 looks promising.
                                and 2 hours of Gareth Malone on Saturdays starting 17/9/11
                                don't know why I'm fixated on the presenters, it's the music that matters
                                I feel you always have one eye on your Telewag "column"

Regards
                                Your Biggest Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X