• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    One might well ask - why need to go to all that trouble - and any expense at all?
    The thought occurred while writing, S-A. But it's like Sky+ for radio, innit...

Long gone are the days when I bound myself to the schedulers of TV (with the exception of live sport - for which, read live concerts on R3). Virtually everything I watch is recorded so I can avoid all the crap, watch what I want when I want, pause it, re-watch, fast forward etc. etc. I much prefer it that way.

That gizmo allows the same thing on radio. I must have listened 10 times to Andras Schiff playing (wonderfully) the Schumann Op 17 Fantasie movement that concluded CD Review on Saturday, which I also record (in segments - so I could junk the counter-tenors but keep the Schumann). It's the way forward
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• barber olly

Rob's knowledge is in tune with us 60+ collectors, but he's been lumbered with a format. I don't think oveall his choices will let us down. Shame that he couldn't have an old label instead of a mathematist or a gardener between 10.30 and 11.00 - would save money and angst! By the way Rob the recent Steinberg, Handley and Mackerras ICONs - say no more....
      Last edited by Guest; 13-09-11, 23:04.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

I heard (NB rather than listened to...) a bit of Pet Rock this morning on the way to work. The opening section ("1st movement" [sic]) of Liszt PC No 1 played by Lang Lang; some waffle about the classical charts; news; a bit of fluff by Lukas Foss; and then a poor man's 'Home Truths' with PT rather than the late-lamented John Peel. I couldn't bear to listen to The Hebrides after the previous few minutes conversation, so turned off. For good.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

next week's live 7:30pm concerts don't seem to be "live" as such, perhaps that idea has been abandoned

Comment

• zola
            • May 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            next week's live 7:30pm concerts don't seem to be "live" as such, perhaps that idea has been abandoned
            No, the idea hasn't been abandoned. It is just a couple of weeks post proms when they are using up recorded concerts from various festivals that were concurrent with the proms and before the new season kicks in for London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Cardiff etc.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

they are using up recorded concerts from various festivals that were concurrent with the proms
              ah yes, of course ( silly me)

Comment

• Janthefan

I shouted "Oh do shut up Petroc" five times before 7am....is this a record?

I cannot take it, off with the radio now until 9am.

x Jan x

ps I only live in Cornwall, I'm NOT Cornish! Perish the thought....

Comment

• Russ

The Independent's Jane Thynne muses on the recent rumblings.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                    The Independent's Jane Thynne muses on the recent rumblings.
                    What a load of dribble. I expect much better from The Independent. It sounds like she's rather cosy with RW.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      What a load of dribble. I expect much better from The Independent. It sounds like she's rather cosy with RW.
                      My reaction exactly, what a lazy piece, saying nothing - except the listener figures bring it home that all our objections to the fatuous new turn of events are irrelevant if - and this is the fundamental misconception - BBC stations are judged by numbers of listeners. If that is the governing credo, we don't stand a chance, looking at those figures - R3 will go to down-market hell in a speedboat - with Roger Wright or some other hapless soul standing impotently at the wheel...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

The Indie and the Guardian are both in with 'Radio 3'. Jane Thynne's piece, fortunately, doesn't do any harm (even though I'm not aware of either of the quotes she attributes to the Friends of Radio 3 website). Readers will already know which side they're on.

I feel slightly flattered that FoR3 is felt to be worth maligning again

(What did I say about reprisals?)
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

.. a wretched and lazy piece. The point of the 'figures' (R3 vs CFM) was not investigated at all. If CFM is a populist station it will have big figures; if R3 "steals" this audience it is denying its own (R3's) right to public subsidy. This is not a numbers game :illegal doh emoticon:

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            The Indie and the Guardian are both in with 'Radio 3'. Jane Thynne's piece, fortunately, doesn't do any harm (even though I'm not aware of either of the quotes she attributes to the Friends of Radio 3 website).
                            I'm sure she's referring to the message board; like it or not, people are confusing your informal supporters with your official ones. Given that, I'm sure she could have chosen far more childish and embarrassing comments to highlight than "drive-time disc spinning" and "stomach-churning phone-ins".

Fairly representative, and I'd say you got off lucky.

Comment

• barber olly

Really - I only buy the paper on Saturdays, they appear to spend little column space to Classical music, certainly over the Proms Season there's not been a lot.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
                                I'm sure she's referring to the message board; like it or not, people are confusing your informal supporters with your official ones. Given that, I'm sure she could have chosen far more childish and embarrassing comments to highlight than "drive-time disc spinning" and "stomach-churning phone-ins".

Fairly representative, and I'd say you got off lucky.
                                You might be able to help me on this. I've done a search on 'stomach-churning' and 'disc-spinning' and the only post that shows up is yours, as above.

In which case, yes, we're lucky she didn't come up with something worse ...

But maybe the software is at fault ...
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X