• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    There's a reference in the Radio Times to DID guest Lang Lang discussing the reasons for her (sic) choice of music.
    Are you sure it wasn't Petra Lang Lang, Ofca?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roehre

The new schedule is for me very, very, very reassuring .
      Never have to switch on Radio 3 again before midday, as there will never, never, never, be anyting remotely interesting to be broadcast. Rather assuring isn't it, being sure you won't miss anything you might have listened too if you would have known in advance.

The Afternoon on 3 goes for me the same way: with c. in front of the time of beginning of a piece that will be broadcast I most likely won't even be bothered again to switch the radio on, as I might miss the beginning.

Most likely I'll stick to my own collection: no ridiculous chat, exactly offering the music I want at the moment I want, and generally with valuable information from the sleeves/booklets/other documentation in stead of the blabla from (now unfortunately most of) the presenters.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It looks as if the guest will be present through the week. Another clue will be how complete the playlist will be in advance. What is the point of 'Rob's Essential Choice'? Essential in what sense? Will it be a kind of Beginner's Building a Library, starting from scratch?
        Another thought. If as we are told the BBC is strapped for cash - these weekly guests giving their choices presumably are doing this for nothing - then again probably not. I would have thought that rather than having this gimmick-laden 3 hour porogramme revert to the long lamented format of CD Masters (How many of us on this board wanted to see it go?). If Rob or Sarah are stuck for ideas, either works or particular recordings I am sure that a thread on this board could provide them with a year's supply. How about featured old label of the week - Command, Westminster, Everest, Brunswick, Nixa come to mind. The overall formula of Old Ones, New Ones, Loved Ones and Neglected Ones could be applied to this progeamme, playing full works with no dumbing down and frightening off small children and those of a nervous disposition or more importantly third programme listeners.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Does this mean that World on 3 is reduced to 90 minutes? I don't think we were told about that in the press release. If that is indeed the case, it has been as much of an onslaught on WM as on jazz when you consider that World Routes will now be at night. I can't see why TTN couldn't still have started at 1am. Surely 5.5 hours is enough for any programme - or would it be difficult to chop around given the sort of syndicated way it is made. And it is probably cheaper!

Any news on The Verb? My hunch is that it will be reduced from 45 to 30 minutes. They have already tried that once.

I think in fairness with regard to the classical music programmes, there has been an attempt at some balance, not that it is very good. The move of PT to Breakfast places the fluff at least in the hands of a traditional presenter although he is not the only one scheduled for that time. Similarly, the mid morning programme goes to RC who I like a lot - if you can't provide me with a spot on radio voice, give me a highly respected and experienced enthusiast! SW is pretty good too. Will she be retained?

Before I took a quick trip around digital this morning - my, how I had forgotten about Gold, Magic, Heart and the 30 other stations whose names all sound like newly introduced brands of coffee - I was interested to hear RC playing a piece that was 17 minutes long. He explained that he had played the 9 minute version on all previous occasions. However, he had been persuaded by his producer apparently to go with this one in all its substance. What was it? Richard Rodgers — Slaughter on Tenth Avenue!!
          Last edited by Guest; 06-09-11, 11:57.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            The new schedule is for me very, very, very reassuring .
            Never have to switch on Radio 3 again before midday, as there will never, never, never, be anyting remotely interesting to be broadcast. Rather assuring isn't it, being sure you won't miss anything you might have listened too if you would have known in advance.

The Afternoon on 3 goes for me the same way: with c. in front of the time of beginning of a piece that will be broadcast I most likely won't even be bothered again to switch the radio on, as I might miss the beginning.

Most likely I'll stick to my own collection: no ridiculous chat, exactly offering the music I want at the moment I want, and generally with valuable information from the sleeves/booklets/other documentation in stead of the blabla from (now unfortunately most of) the presenters.
            Yes but this is our Radio 3 funded by us we want our bit of it and we want it done right. We could all spend our time playing the riches on our sheles but it 3would be nice to be able to add on from R3!

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

That pretty much sums up my own feelings. Over the last 6 months or so, the amount of time I spend with radio3 has dwindled and dwindled. I probably listen less now than ever. Mornings are a complete waste of time, as is most of Sunday. Thanks goodness for CD review, although I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before some celeb will be invited on to discuss their CD Collection........
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                Yes but this is our Radio 3 funded by us we want our bit of it and we want it done right. We could all spend our time playing the riches on our shelves but it would be nice to be able to add on from R3!
                Immediately agreed, as in the past (and that is until c.2005) there were (for me) relatively many surprises (either unknown works, or superb performances) broadcast during daytime, in a way which we now most of the time only find in TtN or CotW (and EMS and H&N, or the Proms with its afternoon repeats during the season)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Are you sure it wasn't Petra Lang Lang, Ofca?
                  .....Chinese-born New York-based pianist Lang Lang, who chats to Kirsty Young about her life and personal music picks
                  (Page 121 of this week's Radio Times)

Comment

• Panjandrum

.....Chinese-born New York-based pianist Lang Lang, who chats to Kirsty Young about her life and personal music picks
                    What's wrong with that? Quite obviously, Kirsty Young will be chatting to Lang Lang about her (Kirsty's) life and music.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Immediately agreed, as in the past (and that is until c.2005) there were (for me) relatively many surprises (either unknown works, or superb performances) broadcast during daytime, in a way which we now most of the time only find in TtN or CotW (and EMS and H&N, or the Proms with its afternoon repeats during the season)
                      I well up inside when I think that those of us of a certain age, who were once able to benefit in terms of enriching our lives (and hopefully, through us, others') when Radio 3 was what we always the invaluable site we discovered it to be, are now ineluctably placed in a position of drawing up the drawbridge behind us, to leave succeeding generations out in the cultural cold.

S-A

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Perhaps (to be charitable) it means that it is Kirsty's life and personal music choices which are to be to the forefront, in these presenter driven times...

UPDATE: Mr P. Jandrum got there first with the idea, dammit! Cross-posted, ygad
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I well up inside when I think that those of us of a certain age, who were once able to benefit in terms of enriching our lives (and hopefully, through us, others') when Radio 3 was what we always the invaluable site we discovered it to be, are now ineluctably placed in a position of drawing up the drawbridge behind us, to leave succeeding generations out in the cultural cold.

S-A
                          But, S_A, it only follows what our generation has done to the economy and society, leaving a legacy of lasting unemployment, insecurity, delayed and smaller pensions, privatised utilities and all too probably health service and education. Just as ours is the generation that enjoyed subsidised higher education and is now charging heavily for it, it's hardly a surprise that the educated and cultured executives in the BBC are foisting broadcasting dross on the next generation.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            UPDATE: Mr P. Jandrum got there first with the idea, dammit! Cross-posted, ygad
                            Just beat that remarkably good looking chap Mr. Can-i-bal

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                              What's wrong with that? Quite obviously, Kirsty Young will be chatting to Lang Lang about her (Kirsty's) life and music.
                              SILLY ME .....of course....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                                But, S_A, it only follows what our generation has done to the economy and society, leaving a legacy of lasting unemployment, insecurity, delayed and smaller pensions, privatised utilities and all too probably health service and education. Just as ours is the generation that enjoyed subsidised higher education and is now charging heavily for it, it's hardly a surprise that the educated and cultured executives in the BBC are foisting broadcasting dross on the next generation.
                                This is quite right. We were optimists and I don't think any of us could have predicted things could possibly get this bad, people would individually and collectively stand up for themselves. One did ones best to oppose it all, at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X