• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The New Schedule

Well, here's the first glimpse of the 'new' Breakfast programme, starting a week today.

'Starting at the new time of 6.30am, Petroc Trelawny joins the breakfast team to wake the UK up with the best in classical music. Featuring favourite pieces in the finest performances, the latest BBC news and stories from the day's papers together with listeners calling in to talk about the music that means the most to them. A fresh new way to start the day on Radio 3.'

[NB. TTN begins at 12.30am]
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • longinus

Actually, I rather welcome the thought of Petroc's presence. I used to yield to no-one in my criticisms, but he has massively improved his game over the last 6 or 7 years. Whatever his faults, he's nobody's fool, and I shall be surprised if he can bring himself to dumb it down as far as the appalling SM-P (whom I loathe to the bottom of my soul). Even so, I anticipate that I shall be switching off even more often than I do at present. This morning I slept rather late, switched on to hear the pointless Proms puff for Tchaikovsky's hardly-known 5th Symphony (which really needs serious advocacy to get anyone to listen to it - not), followed by the tedious Waltz, and then the announcement of Vivaldi's Autumn, which compelled me to go straight to Handel Duets on CD - probably the shortest ever slice of Breakfast for me).

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Quote - NB. TTN begins at 12.30am.

Erm, what does this mean for the 11pm-1am programmes? If they are still to be two hours long, which half hour during the evening/night is being lost?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

At first sight the whole thing looks like even more chat and less music. R3 looks broken beyond repair.

Comment

• Thespian

more chat less music continues

9am
          A selection of must-hear music including the Essential CD of the Week: Violin Romances, Arthur Grumiaux.

9.30am
          A daily brainteaser and performances by the Artist of the Week, Christopher Hogwood: Bach (Concerto in C minor, BWV1060), Handel (Concerto grosso op.6/3), Susato (Allemaigne & Recoupe). Also in this hour, Satie's Gymnopedies from Pascal Roge.

10.30am
          The Essential Classics guest is Marcus du Sautoy, the current professor Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science. Today he introduces the first piece he remembers hearing, and music he used to play himself.

11am
          Rob's Essential Choice
          Tchaikovsky
          Symphony No.4
          London Symphony Orchestra
          Igor Markevitch (composer).

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-11, 06:31. Reason: format

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Thespian View Post
            9.30am
            A daily brainteaser and performances by the Artist of the Week, Christopher Hogwood: Bach (Concerto in C minor, BWV1060), Handel (Concerto grosso op.6/3), Susato (Allemaigne & Recoupe). Also in this hour, Satie's Gymnopedies from Pascal Roge.

10.30am
            The Essential Classics guest is Marcus du Sautoy, the current professor Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science. Today he introduces the first piece he remembers hearing, and music he used to play himself.

Comment

• Don Petter

A year or two ago some derided the suggestion that R3 should be renamed TalkRadio. Perhaps now they can start to see the point.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                Quote - NB. TTN begins at 12.30am.

Erm, what does this mean for the 11pm-1am programmes? If they are still to be two hours long, which half hour during the evening/night is being lost?
                There's always been a bit of a mystery about this. They've just put up the Tuesday schedule and LJ seems to be 11pm - 12.30, which is beginning to look like the pattern for the week, though NB Jazz Line-Up began at 10-45 on Sunday. That makes JL-U the longest jazz programme as Jon3 is (back to) 90 minutes.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• barber olly

9am
                  A selection of must-hear music including the Essential CD of the Week: Violin Romances, Arthur Grumiaux.

9.30am

10.30am

11am
                  Rob's Essential Choice
                  Tchaikovsky
                  Symphony No.4

We don't need this! What a missed opportunity. Cut out the silly brainteaser, the non-music guest. Give us two hours of CD/LP recorded music and a hour of stuff from the BBC archives (eg from 70s,80s,90s eg Bryden Thomson, Norman Del Mar, M Janssons, N Jaarvi or old Lunchtime chamber concerts.) and instead of an overview of what will be included over the three hours how about a proper schedule of what's on when. I'm happy to have a big essential classic at the end of the programme and a featured CD of the week, but the overall sequence looks a mess!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

It looks as if the guest will be present through the week. Another clue will be how complete the playlist will be in advance. What is the point of 'Rob's Essential Choice'? Essential in what sense? Will it be a kind of Beginner's Building a Library, starting from scratch?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Erm, what does this mean for the 11pm-1am programmes? If they are still to be two hours long, which half hour during the evening/night is being lost?

The not-quite-so late-at-night broadasts will be 90 minute affairs.
                      I think !

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I hope I'm wrong in having the feeling that everything's falling apart.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          It looks as if the guest will be present through the week. Another clue will be how complete the playlist will be in advance. What is the point of 'Rob's Essential Choice'? Essential in what sense? Will it be a kind of Beginner's Building a Library, starting from scratch?
                          I've lost all faith in Rob since he described Midori's performance of the Walton violin concerto at the recent Prom as "Heifezterian!" (When in fact it was "failed studenterian").

Comment

• Don Petter

11am
                            Rob's Essential Choice
                            Tchaikovsky
                            Symphony No.4
                            As mentioned in another thread, Markevitch was a composer, but is this meant to be relevant?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

There's a reference in the Radio Times to DID guest Lang Lang discussing the reasons for her (sic) choice of music.

Comment

Working...
                              X