Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    it just adds dishonesty to the list of undesirable actions, since those listeners are not a R3 audience.
    I think it's the BBC's concept of what "Radio 3" is that has shifted significantly and where the dishonesty comes in. On the grounds that most of the content is 'classical music' and it broadcasts live concerts and recitals (neither of which can be heard elsewhere on the BBC), nothing has changed: it's the BBC's flagship arts-classical station. To me, as important as what they exactly choose to broadcast, is the treatment which is (was) 'R3'. The difference between a short series on hiphop (R3) and a regular programme playing hiphop (R1) was what made it a serious arts station. Now, it's the difference between Breakfast/Essential Classics/Downtime Tearjerker/This Sound of Gaming or Record Review/Composer of the Week/Lunchtime Concert where the difference of treatment is marked. The hours devoted to each makes all the difference.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Aotearoa
      • May 2014

Currently painting the living room, I am passively listening to the junk gaming programme (actually, amateurishly, tonight it is two bolted together) with a Baby Queen presenter.
      I think there is more merit 'curating' a programme of music culled from Loony Tunes cartoons. At least that music has a beginning, middle and end. This computer generated stuff can be set to the two minute, five minute or infinite renditions. And I have worked out (whilst doing the cutting-in around the plugs and light switches) that there are three genre; happy, skippy Super Mario, dark, menacing Star Wars-style, and the Superman fanfare. They are all 'cool, dreamy, magical' loops of sound.
      My adult kids scoff at R3 thinking how desperate it is trying to seduce listeners via this non-music offering.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
        Currently painting the living room, I am passively listening to the junk gaming programme (actually, amateurishly, tonight it is two bolted together) with a Baby Queen presenter.
        I think there is more merit 'curating' a programme of music culled from Loony Tunes cartoons. At least that music has a beginning, middle and end. This computer generated stuff can be set to the two minute, five minute or infinite renditions. And I have worked out (whilst doing the cutting-in around the plugs and light switches) that there are three genre; happy, skippy Super Mario, dark, menacing Star Wars-style, and the Superman fanfare. They are all 'cool, dreamy, magical' loops of sound.
        My adult kids scoff at R3 thinking how desperate it is trying to seduce listeners via this non-music offering.
        I loved your summary - thanks.
        Compared to lift muzak (& with your David Jacobs hat on), would that be a hit or a miss?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

Here's what we (and particularly Aotearoa) missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1855226

01:01 Jean Sibelius; Lemminkainen Suite: 4 Legends from the Kalevala for orchestra (Op 22); Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jukka-Pekka Saraste (conductor)
          01:47 Heinrich Schutz; Vater Abraham, erbarme dich mein (SWV.477); La Capella Ducale, Musica Fiata Koln, Roland Wilson (director)
          02:01 Franz Liszt; Romance oubliée; Morten Carlsen (viola), Sergej Osadchuk (piano)
          02:06 Bohuslav Martinu; La revue de cuisine – suite from the ballet; Festival Ensemble of the Festival of the Sound
          02:21 Henry Purcell; If music be the food of love, Z 379C; Jan Kobow (tenor), Axel Wolf (lute)
          02:25 Jacques Ibert; Flute Concerto; Yuri Shut'ko (flute), NRCU Symphony Orchestra, Vyacheslav Blinov (conductor)
          02:45 Christian Friedrich Ruppe; Duetto in F major; Wyneke Jordans (fortepiano), Leo van Doeselaar (fortepiano)
          02:55 Jocelyn Pook, Andrew Motion; Mobile (2002); King's Singers
          Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202022.pdf

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            I loved your summary - thanks.
            Compared to lift muzak (& with your David Jacobs hat on), would that be a hit or a miss?
            It would constitute downlifting musak in my view, having now listened to parts of two of these programmes. There's nothing intrisically to be opposed to about music which has no defined beginning, middle or ending, as that was the way much music has been conceived and performed in ceremonies and meditation halls since times immemorial for purposes of attention centreing. This type of music is not of that nature; it is music which in its unattached to its purpose has none - other than helping me get to sleep!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              music which in its unattached to its purpose has none - other than helping me get to sleep!
              As quickly as possible?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                As quickly as possible?
                I should say! It clearly served that purpose!!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I should say! It clearly served that purpose!!
                  Good thing it didn't affect Aotearoa that way.

I had a quick look at the the discussion room for GamePlay.
                  It started off with plenty of discussion (ep 3 had 18 replies), but it rapidly slowed down to "AngryJellyfish" saying which tracks were played (and when the automatic listings were wrong), presumably listening via Sounds / streaming & not live.

FoR3 has similar levels of discussion on this

Comment

• Aotearoa
                    • May 2014

I timed my decorating badly. Had to disconnect the speakers to get the painting done (I hope you are enjoying watching it dry!) so missed out on TTN today, or perhaps called Through the Day here in NZ. School night tonight - early bed and 04.30 start for the flight to the South Island and back to work, I do get to listen to TTN, Radio NZ Concert version, Some very obscure pieces pop up there, though I'm not sure I'm full awake to take it all in at that time of the morning.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
                      I timed my decorating badly. Had to disconnect the speakers to get the painting done (I hope you are enjoying watching it dry!) so missed out on TTN today, or perhaps called Through the Day here in NZ. School night tonight - early bed and 04.30 start for the flight to the South Island and back to work, I do get to listen to TTN, Radio NZ Concert version, Some very obscure pieces pop up there, though I'm not sure I'm full awake to take it all in at that time of the morning.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Johannes Brahms, Arnold Schoenberg (orchestrator); Piano Quartet in G minor, Op 25; Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Edo de Waart (conductor)
                        01:43 Francesco Cavalli; Plainsong Antiphon and Magnificat; Concerto Palatino
                        02:01 Clara Schumann; Prelude and Fugue in B flat major, Op 16 no 2; Angela Cheng (piano)
                        02:06 Antonin Dvorak; Two Slavonic Dances, op.46 - No.8 in G Minor and No.3 in A flat major; Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Arvid Engegard (conductor)
                        02:14 Jacobus Vaet; Postquam consumati essent dies; Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel (conductor)
                        02:20 Leevi Madetoja; The Ostrobothnians, Suite for Orchestra (Op.52) (1923); Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jorma Panula (conductor)
                        02:36 Boldizsar Csiky; Divertimento for wind ensemble; Budapest Wind Ensemble, Kalman Berkes (leader)
                        02:49 Georg Philipp Telemann; Trio No 2 from Essercizii Musici, for Viola da gamba, Harpsichord obligato & bc; Camerata Koln, Rainer Zipperling (viola da gamba), Ghislaine Wauters (viola da gamba), Harald Hoeren (harpsichord)
                        info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202022.pdf

The Telemann cheered me up on this cold morning.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed this morning - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Johannes Brahms; Piano Quintet in F minor, Op 34; Boris Berman (piano), Alexander String Quartet
                          01:45 Percy Grainger; Hill-Song No 1; Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Geoffrey Simon (conductor)
                          01:58 Herman Streulens; Ave Maria for tenor and female voices (1994); La Gioia, Diane Verdoodt (soprano), Ilse Schelfhout (soprano), Kristien Vercammen (soprano), Bernadette De Wilde (soprano), Lieve Mertens (mezzo soprano), Els Van Attenhoven (mezzo soprano), Lieve Vanden Berghe (alto), Ludwig Van Gijsegem (tenor)
                          02:03 Edvard Grieg; In Autumn, Op 11; Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Josep Caballe-Domenech (conductor)
                          02:15 Denes Agay; 5 Easy Dances for flute, oboe, clarinet in Bb, bassoon, horn; Tae-Won Kim (flute), Sang-Won Yoon (bassoon), Kawng-Ku Lee (horn), Hyon-Kon Kim (clarinet), Hyong-Sup Kim (oboe)
                          02:23 Dobrinka Tabakova; Such Different Paths; Hugo Ticciati (violin), Thomas Reif (violin), Hana Hobiger (viola), Gregor Hrabar (viola), Alessio Pianelli (cello), Ruiko Matsumoto (cello)
                          02:40 [B]George Frideric Handel; Trio Sonata in C minor (Op. 2 no. 1); Bolette Roed (recorder), Arte dei Suonatori
                          02:52 Mogens Pederson; 3 songs for 5 voices; Ars Nova, Bo Holten (director)

Comment

• Aotearoa
                            • May 2014

I have always found the foreign classical music stations and their playlist programmes quite a calming experience. I don't speak Swedish but the calm and gentle tone of the announcers is a perfect balm between pieces. I used to listen to NDR Rundfunk out of Hamburg and it was a similar situation there. The fun bit is working out the performer and orchestra from the local language - certainly helped my schoolboy German skills no end.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, eg. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1867782

01:01 Antonin Dvorak; Concerto for cello and orchestra (Op.104) in B minor; Truls Mork (cello), Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Andre Previn (conductor)
                              01:41 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Partita in E flat (K.Anh.C 17`3); Festival Winds
                              02:05 Johann Strauss II; Roses from the South - waltz, Op.388; RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Rossen Milanov (conductor)
                              02:15 Samuel Barber; Dover beach for voice and string quartet (Op.3); Urszula Kryger (mezzo soprano), Royal String Quartet
                              02:23 Domenico Scarlatti; Sonata in B minor (Kk.87); Andreas Staier (harpsichord)
                              02:30 Franz Liszt; Rhapsodie espagnole (Folies d'Espagne et jota aragone) S.254; Zhang Zuo (piano)
                              02:42 Fernando Sor; Introduction and variations on a theme from Mozart's Magic Flute, Op 9; Ana Vidovic (guitar)
                              02:51 Francesco Geminiani; Concerto No 1 in D major (after Corelli's Op 5); Andrew Manze (violin), Academy of Ancient Music, Andrew Manze (director)

Worryingly, I keep expecting Eric Morecambe to interrupt Mr Preview.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, eg. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1867782

01:01 Antonin Dvorak; Concerto for cello and orchestra (Op.104) in B minor; Truls Mork (cello), Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Andre Previn (conductor)
                                01:41 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Partita in E flat (K.Anh.C 17`3); Festival Winds
                                02:05 Johann Strauss II; Roses from the South - waltz, Op.388; RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Rossen Milanov (conductor)
                                02:15 Samuel Barber; Dover beach for voice and string quartet (Op.3); Urszula Kryger (mezzo soprano), Royal String Quartet
                                02:23 Domenico Scarlatti; Sonata in B minor (Kk.87); Andreas Staier (harpsichord)
                                02:30 Franz Liszt; Rhapsodie espagnole (Folies d'Espagne et jota aragone) S.254; Zhang Zuo (piano)
                                02:42 Fernando Sor; Introduction and variations on a theme from Mozart's Magic Flute, Op 9; Ana Vidovic (guitar)
                                02:51 Francesco Geminiani; Concerto No 1 in D major (after Corelli's Op 5); Andrew Manze (violin), Academy of Ancient Music, Andrew Manze (director)

Worryingly, I keep expecting Eric Morecambe to interrupt Mr Preview.
                                And I have a sneaky feeling that were anyone to composer something to be called Dover Beach, it would be on a very different theme of today!

Comment

Working...
                                X