Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Weird image on that link - I assume it isn't a cigarette, just something that looks like one, and the distorted single eye is not pleasant.
    What puzzles me more than a little is why these people agree to be on R3 - I would have thought it would be at odds with their profile, and peer/audience credibility, to say the least. I can only assume they ignore the means and just focus on the ends - getting their offerings onto a platform for public distribution.
    The full / uncropped image isn't much better - could it be a creased photographic print reflected off water?
    It looks to be by Justin Tuler Close (Warning: some of the other portraits have dangly / wobbly bits or are just bizarre.)

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Weird image on that link - I assume it isn't a cigarette, just something that looks like one, and the distorted single eye is not pleasant.
      What puzzles me more than a little is why these people agree to be on R3 - I would have thought it would be at odds with their profile, and peer/audience credibility, to say the least. I can only assume they ignore the means and just focus on the ends - getting their offerings onto a platform for public distribution.
      It seems there's bit of kudos attached to it. The fans approve and look on it as a way into improving Radio 3 from its dull self. I remember Andy Kershaw writing an article which suggested that a Radio 3 audience was much better than a Radio 1 audience (there might have been an element of bitterness there in that he had been dropped by Radio 1). Elizabeth Alker's fans on Facebook congratulated her when she announced she was going to be a 'Radio 3 presenter', with a definite feeling that they hoped she woul 'shake it up a bit'. They come to do their own thing, not conform to the Radio 3 'stuffiness'
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It seems there's bit of kudos attached to it. The fans approve and look on it as a way into improving Radio 3 from its dull self. I remember Andy Kershaw writing an article which suggested that a Radio 3 audience was much better than a Radio 1 audience (there might have been an element of bitterness there in that he had been dropped by Radio 1). Elizabeth Alker's fans on Facebook congratulated her when she announced she was going to be a 'Radio 3 presenter', with a definite feeling that they hoped she woul 'shake it up a bit'. They come to do their own thing, not conform to the Radio 3 'stuffiness'
        The shaking up continues... please can we have the old, dull, stuffy R3 back?

Jazz All Night for Saturday 13/11/2021 to replace TearJerker, Gameplay & TTN.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Is that a one-off or sign of things to come?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

04:30 to 05:00 looks worth tuning in for.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

A brief bit of sanity? Although to be fair if TTN has to be derailed I would rather it was by jazz than the droopy dora dumbtime - at least there's quite a bit of jazz that I enjoy when I come across it, and JRR is often part of my Sunday listening. It is also part of the R3 output anyway unlike the dumbtime repertoire.
                Meantime I second this
                please can we have the old, dull, stuffy R3 back?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Minimalist?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Minimalist?
                    Cagey, maybe.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

I'm in a bit of quandary... ever ready to complain about Tearjerker etc. replacing beloved TTN. Then R3 replaces parts of TTN with something I might actually enjoy. Do I dare complain (or even comment) about The Tallis Scholars' "Music for the Hours" on Sunday?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Cagey, maybe.
                        You mean less than minimalist?

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

I'm in a bit of quandary... ever ready to complain about Tearjerker etc. replacing beloved TTN. Then R3 replaces parts of TTN with something I might actually enjoy. Do I dare complain (or even comment) about The Tallis Scholars' "Music for the Hours" on Sunday?
                          No need to complain in this case I would suggest as it is a one-off and limited interruption of TTN music (and some of the daytime programmes) with what can be considered legitimate R3 repertoire? I'm not sure why it's been presented back to front on the schedule though - starting the listing with Compline - or have I missed something?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

Given that the change of clocks provides an extra hour to be filled, it looks to me that we are only losing 45 minutes from TTN (although there seems to be a difference in timings between the BBC webpage and the Radio Times listing).
                            Last edited by subcontrabass; 30-10-21, 00:08. Reason: corrected calculation

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Given that the change of clocks provides an extra hour to be filled, it looks to me that we are only losing 45 minutes from TTN (although there seems to be a difference in timings between the BBC webpage and the Radio Times listing).
                              TTN & Notturno usually correct for the hour change with 7 or 5 hour programmes - but it throws out the listings I think it will be ~1 hour 45 that gets replaced tomorrow, but we'll see.

Update: There's a temporal jump in the EBU Notturno listings for 31/10/2021 which accounts for the extra hour.
                              Infro from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ber%202021.pdf
                              04:34 Camille Saint-Saens; Sonata for bassoon and piano (Op.168) in G major; Jens-Christoph Lemke (bassoon), Marten Landstrom (piano)
                              04:47 Edward Elgar; Serenade for Strings in E minor, Op 20; Zurich Chamber Orchestra, Willi Zimmermann (conductor)
                              04:01 Antonin Dvorak; Piano Quintet no 2 in A major, Op 81; Janine Jansen (violin), Anders Nilsson (violin), Julian Rachlin (viola), Torleif Thedeen (cello), Itamar Golan (piano)
                              04:40 Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach; Der Herr lebet - cantata (Wq.251); Barbara Schlick (soprano), Hilke Helling (alto), Wilfried Jochens (tenor), Gotthold Schwarz (bass), Das Kleine Konzert, Rheinische Kantorei, Hermann Max (conductor)
                              Last edited by AuntDaisy; 30-10-21, 09:05. Reason: Added Notturno info

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed from TTN today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 George Frideric Handel; Concerto grosso in F major, Op 6 no 9; Estonian Radio Chamber Orchestra, Paul Magi (conductor)
                                01:18 Ludwig van Beethoven; Trio for piano and strings in B flat major, Op 97 "Archduke"; Macquarie Trio, Charmian Gadd (violin), Michael Goldschlager (cello), Kathryn Selby (piano)
                                01:58 Salamone Rossi; Cor mio, deh non languire (for soprano, alto, 2 tenors, baritone and lute); Ensemble Daedalus, Roberto Festa (conductor)
                                02:02 Johannes Brahms; Intermezzo in A major, Op 118 no 2; Jane Coop (piano)
                                02:09 Ralph Vaughan Williams; Toward the Unknown Region; BBC Symphony Chorus, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Davis (conductor)
                                02:22 Carl Maria von Weber; Clarinet Concertino in E flat major, Op 26; Kari Kriikku (clarinet), Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo (conductor)
                                02:32 Gustav Mahler; Nun seh’ich wohl warum so dunkle Flammen (Kindertotenlieder); Agata Zubel (soprano), Warsaw Cellonet Group, Andrzej Bauer (director)
                                02:37 George Enescu; Romanian Rhapsody no 1 in A major, Op 11 no 1; Romanian National Radio Orchestra, Horia Andreescu (conductor)
                                02:49 Pablo de Sarasate; Romanza Andaluza (Op.22); Moshe Hammer (violin), Valerie Tryon (piano)
                                02:54 Gaetano Donizetti; "Una Furtiva lagrima" - Nemorino's Romance; Volodymyr Hryshko (tenor), Ukrainian National Opera Orchestra
                                Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ber%202021.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X