Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    As I discovered. It was bad enough being unable to get to sleep but then being assaulted by dumbtime when I went downstairs seeking some TTN diversion and calm for my fizzy brain just added insult to injury - and time to the period it took to get unwound and eventually back to sleep just before 3am. Thank heavens it was Martin Handley on duty at 7; I don't dislike EA especially and certainly not as much as some seem to, but I just couldn't have coped with her chirpiness and odd music choices this morning.
    The sooner the dumbtime drivel goes the better!

I was relieved to hear the Corbetta this morning, but, sadly, it was at your expense.
    Catching up on TTN now & enjoying the Beethoven.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed from this morning's Through the Night.
      Our European friends had access to the full 6 hours, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Antonin Dvorak; Symphony No 6 in D major, Op 60; National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Kees Bakels (conductor)
      01:42 Bedrich Smetana; Piano Trio in G minor (Op.15); Suk Trio
      02:10 Bohuslav Martinu; Part-song book - 4 madrigals for mixed chorus; Danish National Radio Choir, Stefan Parkman (conductor)
      02:20 Francesco Corbetta; Folias; Simone Vallerotonda (guitar)
      02:27 Mikhail Glinka; Kamarinskaya - fantasy for orchestra; Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ludovit Rajter (conductor)
      02:35 Bernat Vivancos; Nigra sum; Latvian Radio Choir, Sigvards Klava (conductor)
      02:43 Fanny Mendelssohn; Lied (Lenau): Larghetto; Wanderlied: Presto Op 8 Nos 3 & 4 (1840); Sylviane Deferne (piano)
      02:50 Antonio Lotti; Sonata for 2 oboes, bassoon and continuo in F major, 'Echo sonata'; Rinaldo Alessandrini (harpsichord), Ensemble Zefiro
      Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...une%202021.pdf

Catching up on the Smetana as I type.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today... Our EBU Notturno listening, European friends had acess to all 6 hours, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1738277

01:01 Josquin des Prez; Missa de Beata Virgine; BBC Singers, Bo Holten (conductor)
        01:36 Johannes Brahms; Piano Quartet no 3 in C minor, Op 60, 'Werther'; Havard Gimse (piano), Stig Nilsson (violin), Anders Nilsson (viola), Romain Garioud (cello)
        02:12 Giuseppe Verdi; Ballet music from Otello, Act III; Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra, Antoni Ros-Marba (conductor)
        02:18 Maurice Ravel; Alborada del gracioso - from the suite 'Miroirs' (1905); Bengt-Ake Lundin (piano)
        02:25 Giovanni Battista Viotti; Duo concertante in G major; Alexandar Avramov (violin), Ivan Peev (violin)
        02:34 Aram Khachaturian; Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia from the ballet 'Spartacus' (Act 3); NRCU Symphony Orchestra, Vyacheslav Blinov (conductor)
        02:44 Ludwig van Beethoven; Rondino in E flat, WoO 25; Festival Winds
        02:51 Henricus Albicastro; Concerto a 4, Op 7 no 2; Chiara Banchini (violin), Ensemble 415, Chiara Banchini (director)
        Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...uly%202021.pdf

The Josquin is excellent & I'm looking forward to hearing the rest - but, sadly, not on Radio 3.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

This may have been mentioned before but I see that in a couple of weeks there is no dumbtime listed but neither is there the missing TTN - it's just "off air" between 1 and 3. Anyone know why? I'm afraid my current general cynicism setting cannot put a good spin on it, not least because there is no reason given; if it was for something legit one would have assumed there could be a notice to that effect.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

This may have been mentioned before but I see that in a couple of weeks there is no dumbtime listed but neither is there the missing TTN - it's just "off air" between 1 and 3. Anyone know why? I'm afraid my current general cynicism setting cannot put a good spin on it, not least because there is no reason given; if it was for something legit one would have assumed there could be a notice to that effect.
            I think both series will finish their 12 episode runs on the 10th of July. We just have the excitement of waiting for Auntie's latest drivel - you're right to be cynical.

... these two 12-part series build on the success of two previous mood-led music series...
            From the spacing of the earlier announcements, I suspect we're due one next week.
            14/1/2021 https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021...d-music-series
            8/4/2021 https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021/r3-mood-music

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
              I think both series will finish their 12 episode runs on the 10th of July. We just have the excitement of waiting for Auntie's latest drivel - you're right to be cynical.
              From Mon 12 July, TTN seems to begin at 00.30, leading on from Night Tracks, Unclassified and Late Junction, except on Sat 17 July, TTN starts at 03.00, although LJ only seems to be a 2-hr show, from 23.00 until 01.00, so there is a 2-hour gap there. Same the following week. Perhaps they're just regrouping while they decide what next to thrust upon listeners. Have I read that right, AuntDaisy?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                From Mon 12 July, TTN seems to begin at 00.30, leading on from Night Tracks, Unclassified and Late Junction, except on Sat 17 July, TTN starts at 03.00, although LJ only seems to be a 2-hr show, from 23.00 until 01.00, so there is a 2-hour gap there. Same the following week. Perhaps they're just regrouping while they decide what next to thrust upon listeners. Have I read that right, AuntDaisy?
                Yes, I think so. Either regrouping, or the new presenters are finishing their GCSEs / homework and can't commit yet.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, I think so. Either regrouping, or the new presenters are finishing their GCSEs / homework and can't commit yet.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

I half heard John Shea make some reference to all this at the beginning of TTN, maybe Thursday. I'll chek later on Sounds if i can remember to.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

If only all the episdes were 1 minute! Auntie has updated the 24th July R3 listings... with a partial repeat from 29/5/2021. Shurely shome mishtake.

Enthralling piano ballads from Sampha, Corrine Bailey Rae, Teresa Carreño and more.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

If only all the episdes were 1 minute! Auntie has updated the 24th July R3 listings... with a partial repeat from 29/5/2021. Shurely shome mishtake.

Enthralling piano ballads from Sampha, Corrine Bailey Rae, Teresa Carreño and more.

Oh if only! Although there wouldn't be anything in the gap I suppose there is an argument that silence is preferable to dumbtime. I happened to be looking at what the arrangements are for this Friday/Saturday and two things struck me. Firstly, that the listener's day now apparently starts at 2am
                        Saturday 02:00 An hour of feel-good harmonies to start your day right
                        The other is that although I'm not in the music apartheid camp I do find myself thinking as I look at the programme content for the two slots "What the hell has any of that that got to do with R3?"

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

We now have 1 minute of Laufey as well. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”

If these are repeats, then it makes a total mockery of the "must be broadcast first" mantra! Give us back TTN and get rid of this drivel.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

We now have 1 minute of Laufey as well. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”

If these are repeats, then it makes a total mockery of the "must be broadcast first" mantra! Give us back TTN and get rid of this drivel.

Yes it does rather put the snot into the tissue(of lies)
                            Although whether it's on this scale I don't know https://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...st-in-pictures

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

So, apart from the (very) temporary joy at having the programmes reduced to 1 minute (one has already been corrected), nothing has actually changed, has it?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

So, apart from the (very) temporary joy at having the programmes reduced to 1 minute (one has already been corrected), nothing has actually changed, has it?
                                Sadly, no.

Yes it does rather put the snot into the tissue(of lies)
                                Although whether it's on this scale I don't know https://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...st-in-pictures
                                I love the analogy and the Grauniad photos - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X