Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

not forgetting

Rishi's Rimsky Rissoles

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

not forgetting

Rishi's Rimsky Rissoles

Brilliant - wish I'd thought of that.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

How about TS hosts a discussion on The Listening Service between Jess Gillam MBE and BJ on Has the Belgian-invented saxophone ruined English Music?
        (I'll get my coat.)

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

And... the musical equivalent of 'the sausage war'...?
          There was some element of discussion between the parties involved in that debacle and agreements that have been/are being broken, whereas the Beeb just provides the R3 it thinks we should have/suits its tickboxes/can get away with, no discussion with the other party aka audience - no international "interference" either.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            There was some element of discussion between the parties involved in that debacle and agreements that have been/are being broken, whereas the Beeb just provides the R3 it thinks we should have/suits its tickboxes/can get away with, no discussion with the other party aka audience - no international "interference" either.
            How long before the production of Through the Night/Euroclassical Notturno gets moved from the Beeb to an alternative European broadcaster on the basis that Radio 3 is so disinterested in the project, it can't be bothered to broadcast it in full, or even make available the rejected section via Sounds?

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              How long before the production of Through the Night/Euroclassical Notturno gets moved from the Beeb to an alternative European broadcaster on the basis that Radio 3 is so disinterested in the project, it can't be bothered to broadcast it in full, or even make available the rejected section via Sounds?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Possibly a question of "They can but hope."
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Uninterested rather than disinterested, although as you say the trajectory could be from one to the other, given the trend of cultural diminution in broadcasting. - and life in general I suppose.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Possibly a question of "They can but hope."
                    It doesn't bear thinking about. Dear BBC management, I curse you and hope something slightly unpleasant happens to you. (And said management have just broken / upgraded Genome!)

I woke up before 5 this morning and TTN was a saviour - lovely bit of Scarlatti (A not D), a Bulgarian piece (new to me) and a decent bit of Vivaldi before I dropped off for a while.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                      It doesn't bear thinking about. Dear BBC management, I curse you and hope something slightly unpleasant happens to you. (And said management have just broken / upgraded Genome!)

I woke up before 5 this morning and TTN was a saviour - lovely bit of Scarlatti (A not D), a Bulgarian piece (new to me) and a decent bit of Vivaldi before I dropped off for a while.
                      That's my experience on more occasions than I would really wish - waking at 4 or 5 am and needing a bit more sleep, or at least not to be in active awake mode. The other one is realising come 1 or 2 am that I am not going to get to sleep as my brain gets more and more active, so TTN resets to a point where I can return to bed and try again - usually successfully. Not what was intended no doubt but I do end up hearing a good deal of music that otherwise wouldn't come my way, and at a couple of hours or so once or twice a week I suppose I count as a regular listener. It is surprisingly rare that what is playing is not suitable for my purposes.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

not forgetting

Rishi's Rimsky Rissoles

or Raab's Rabid Rachmaninov
                        Priti's Prowling Prokofev
                        Hancock's Hopeless Handel or perhaps that she be Hopeless Hancock's Handel
                        Rhys-Mogg's moronic Moog
                        Truss's trashed Tchaikovsky

Think I'd better stop!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

No sign of the drivel, just TTN! Bliss (not A).

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                            No sign of the drivel, just TTN! Bliss (not A).
                            Said drivel is now broadcast between 0100 and 0300.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              Yes, sadly it's not gone... but we live in hope.

Here's what we missed today - with "Piano Flow" & "Happy Harmonies" now replacing the first two hours of the R3 TTN broadcast (equivalent to the last 2 hours of EBU Notturno).
                              Available to our European friends, e.g. Swedish radio (but now starting 4 hours in):

01:01 Ottorino Respighi; Concerto in modo misolidio for piano and orchestra; Olli Mustonen (piano), Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Markus Lehtinen (conductor)
                              01:37 Henryk Gorecki; Miserere (Op.44); Danish National Radio Choir, Jesper Grove Jorgensen (conductor)
                              02:11 Fryderyk Chopin; Ballade no 2 in F major, Op 38; Anastasia Vorotnaya (piano)
                              02:19 Jean-Baptiste Arban, David Stanhope (arranger); Fantasy and variations on a Cavatina from 'Beatrice di Tenda' by Bellini; Geoffrey Payne (trumpet), Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Michael Halasz (conductor)
                              02:26 Sven-Eric Johanson, Hedvig Charlotta Nordenflycht, Jacob Wallenberg, Anna Maria Lenngren, Olof von Dalin (lyricists); Fyra visor om arstiderna (4 songs about the Seasons); Christina Billing (soprano), Carina Morling (soprano), Aslog Rosen (soprano), Swedish Radio Choir, Eric Ericson (conductor)
                              02:33 Francesco Geminiani; Concerto grosso in D minor, Op 7 No 2; La Petite Bande, Sigiswald Kuijken (conductor)
                              02:43 Johann Sebastian Bach; Fantasia (and unfinished fugue) for keyboard in C minor, BWV.906; Andreas Staier (harpsichord)
                              02:50 Antonio Vivaldi; Sopranino Recorder Concerto in C major RV.444; Michael Schneider (recorder), Camerata Koln

info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...une%202021.pdf

The Geminiani, Bach & Vivaldi made a very enjoyable selection of music.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                As I discovered. It was bad enough being unable to get to sleep but then being assaulted by dumbtime when I went downstairs seeking some TTN diversion and calm for my fizzy brain just added insult to injury - and time to the period it took to get unwound and eventually back to sleep just before 3am. Thank heavens it was Martin Handley on duty at 7; I don't dislike EA especially and certainly not as much as some seem to, but I just couldn't have coped with her chirpiness and odd music choices this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X