Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Indeed, and thus a failure to abide by Radio 3's remit.
    Sadly, there is no protection for the Radio 3 remit - as it was. It can be changed with the stroke of a pen on application to the proper authority.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Should "Early Junction" be added to the updated thread title?
      Early Disfunction is more appropriate!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Hmm.What to say … I was up for early breakfast, to get ready to go to the Coop at 8am. Curiosity made me switch on an old "ghetto blaster" I'd rescued from my workshop, and cleaned up ready to put it on Freecycle or dump it on the front wall in the hope someone would take it away. It 'came' tuned to R3 and worked on the mains. So when I switched on …I wasn't sure … but kept listening to what I think would be described as a "mixtape". Occasionally the presenter spoke over the music, I think she said she was playing one of 'her own': was that the Beatles song? Finally she handed over to someone else who announced herself as Elizabeth Alker. I switched off, thoughtfully. Shall I bother to write a letter/email to the Controller to give him, helpfully, the benefit of my thoughts? Telling him I was not sure whether he is naive or cynical might not be received well.

Add: Just read the kernel's. Yes the Beatles song was the King's Singers but seemed to be mixed with something else.
        One of "her own" would be as in "one what I wrote" I assume as there is an item three from the end (ie not the Beatles' song), "Someone New" by Laufrey who is the presenter.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          One of "her own" would be as in "one what I wrote" I assume as there is an item three from the end (ie not the Beatles' song), "Someone New" by Laufrey who is the presenter.
          Thank you. That would be it. I thought it sort of merged in with the Beatles song like - there's a word for combining these things but I've forgotten what it is. A modern thing

I've remembered: a mashup.

(Not a mishap)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Thank you. That would be it. I thought it sort of merged in with the Beatles song like - there's a word for combining these things but I've forgotten what it is. A modern thing
            Via a piece called Killer+ The Sound apparently, which sounds more like mess tape than mix tape.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Via a piece called Killer+ The Sound apparently, which sounds more like mess tape than mix tape.
              As you'll see, I remembered the word. It's a technique called mashup, not messtape,

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

As you'll see, I remembered the word. It's a technique called mashup, not messtape,
                Car crash also came to mind.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

(Not a mishap)
                  ... I learnt to read early, often encountering words in print before having heard them. And thus for quite a time, for me 'mishap' rhymed with 'bishop'.
                  ( ... and 'misled' was 'myzeld', the past participle of 'to misle', and 'bedraggled' 'bed-raggled'. Obviously... )

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    I think you should bother ff ..... but, unusually, you worry me a little - are you saying it wasn’t Alkers but an imposter ...... ????
                    To many on these boards Lizzie is the imposter. Wish she wouldn’t mention croissants - makes me nostalgic for rural French holidays - and are those nasty noises at that time in the morning really necessary?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

(Not a mishap)
                      Just imagine: a mash app - to be applied to your phone, for automatically editing out anything the user deemed unsitable for Radio 3. I wonder what algorhythms could drive that!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

(Not a mishap)
                        There's this very odd thing that they now do on these programmes - especially noticeable on Night Sounds - of never letting the music stop, for example when the presenter is speaking - some sort of sampling and looping of the previous track. The most irritating one is on Classical Fix where they've lifted the pizzicato string part from Tchaikowsky 4 scherzo looping it as some sort of punctuation mark.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          There's this very odd thing that they now do on these programmes - especially noticeable on Night Sounds - of never letting the music stop, for example when the presenter is speaking - some sort of sampling and looping of the previous track. The most irritating one is on Classical Fix where they've lifted the pizzicato string part from Tchaikowsky 4 scherzo looping it as some sort of punctuation mark.
                          It's as if they're deliberately trying to destroy the idea that any music may be/should be listened to attentively, without talking, texting, making a couple of phone calls, getting up in the middle to get a cup of tea. Sitting quietly for, phew, I don't know, 15 minutes perhaps and just listening to ONE piece of music - where's the enjoyment in that? Next target will be the Proms, then any concerts or recitals if there are still any.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

... Sitting quietly for, phew, I don't know, 15 minutes perhaps and just listening to ONE piece of music - where's the enjoyment in that? ....
                            I suspect this 'dumbing down' has been going on for some years - heard a Zoom lecture this afternoon presented by my engineering society - a common point from both sides of the Atlantic was that historical engineering artefacts have over the last 10-20 years disappeared from museums to be replaced by interactive screens offering a simplified history of some phase of engineering - the actual artefacts having been moved to publicly inaccessible storage sites - there now being more emphasis on games than on the actual technology.
                            Those of us educated before mass television were lucky in that reading widened ones interests and the museums satisfied the want to see the items described in the textbooks - but reading required spending considerable time devoted to a single activity which became a transferable norm eg in listening to a symphony - television & especially now the internet have encouraged short attention spans.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              Those of us educated before mass television were lucky in that reading widened ones interests and the museums satisfied the want to see the items described in the textbooks - but reading required spending considerable time devoted to a single activity which became a transferable norm eg in listening to a symphony - television & especially now the internet have encouraged short attention spans.
                              But where could you begin, if you wanted to reverse that? I remember Roger talking about the 'shorter attention span' that people had now. Ergo, you had to cater for how people are, not how they once were or it would be better if they were. Not for Radio 3 to begin a lonely crusade to turn back the tide. Nevertheless, I can't help thinking there must be many, many contexts where a short attention span is a definite disadvantage …

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                                I suspect this 'dumbing down' has been going on for some years - heard a Zoom lecture this afternoon presented by my engineering society - a common point from both sides of the Atlantic was that historical engineering artefacts have over the last 10-20 years disappeared from museums to be replaced by interactive screens offering a simplified history of some phase of engineering - the actual artefacts having been moved to publicly inaccessible storage sites - there now being more emphasis on games than on the actual technology.
                                I’m not sure there’s any relationship between tv watching and book reading .I must have spent hours a day watching tv both professionally and as a viewer but still managed to read a book a week. During lockdown that trebled to about 3 a week but that’s partly because the telly is rubbish these days . The internet is something else entirely - things like JSTOR, IMSLP and Wiki are an amazing resource but it’s extraordinary how much time you spend just flitting from subject to subject...

Comment

Working...
                                X