Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    Alan Davey is trying to justify changes (Ian Skelly...) and Tearjearker on Feedback as I type.
    Yes, he mentioned Lord Reith in his reply to me. [ "'Reach – increase it' – why not? It’s what Lord Reith wanted."] I think I could have written his script. As an ex-civil servant, he knows what to say to fob people off so that they finally give up. There's a certain brutality to these BBC responses: ordinary, reasonable people don't quite master the technique of landing the knock-out punches.

Would the best change for R3 be AD leaving?
    but, then, imagine looking back on the days of Tearjerker and Happy Harmonies as a Golden Age D-G Tim Davie has no more culture that Reith had.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

he was brought back to talk about R3's move of 50% output to be from Salford by 2026 - he sounded as though he had had no part in the decision and gave no indication of any personal involvement in it - at times I think you just couldn't make it up. IMO it is obvious a staff + probably orchestra cut with lower studio costs and the less listened to network with of course the high costs of orchestras was the obvious choice in the bean counters' eyes but why can't they be honest that the Beeb is going bust and would have been off air if the Tories had followed up with their plan to decriminalise licence non-payment

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        but, then, imagine looking back on the days of Tearjerker and Happy Harmonies as a Golden Age D-G Tim Davie has no more culture that Reith had.
        I'm willing to risk it To misquote, "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of R3".

Reith, though dour, was entertaining enough to warrant a drama or two (one on R3).

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Yes, he mentioned Lord Reith in his reply to me. [ "'Reach – increase it' – why not? It’s what Lord Reith wanted."] I think I could have written his script. As an ex-civil servant, he knows what to say to fob people off so that they finally give up. There's a certain brutality to these BBC responses: ordinary, reasonable people don't quite master the technique of landing the knock-out punches.

I think a completely 110% several times sterilised piece of surgical equipment has more culture than AD.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I think a completely 110% several times sterilised piece of surgical equipment has more culture than AD.
            He's on "the Board of the English Folk Dance and Song Society" - does that count?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

He's on "the Board of the English Folk Dance and Song Society" - does that count?
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/whoweare/alan-davey
              If he likes Fairport Convention he may qualify for a modicum of redemption!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/whoweare/alan-davey
                He’s also on the board for Hall For Cornwall - an excellent venue where I once saw a first rate live performance of Die Walküre produced by Ian Burnside and starring Susan Bullock.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  He’s also on the board for Hall For Cornwall...
                  If he has strong Cornish connections then I can see why he came over as unenthused about a compulsory transfer to the palm fringed banks of the Irwell - at least in recent years that river now no longer looks like raw Guinness including a good head of white foam floating on the thick brown 'water' that I used to see each morning going to school
                  Last edited by Frances_iom; 02-04-21, 21:57.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    If he has strong Cornish connections then I can see why he came over as unenthused about a compulsory transfer to the palm fringed banks of the Irwell - at least in recent years that river now no longer looks like raw Guinness including a good head of white foam floating on the thick brown 'water' that I used to see each morning going to school
                    Very much looking forward to the reopening of HfC and what range of cultural fare it will bring, but all this has little to do with what is happening on R3.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Very much looking forward to the reopening of HfC and what range of cultural fare it will bring, but all this has little to do with what is happening on R3.
                      So there's nothing to the rumour that Petroc threatened to hand over his slot to Tom Service if the venue remained close for a second longer than necessary? (Cornwall certainly gets its fair share of 'mentions' during the 0830 temperature forecasts .....)

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Another 2 hours of missing Through the Night - remember, it's only 2 hours out of 42 a week!

Available to hear via more inclusive European broadcasters, e.g. Swedish radio:

Here's what we missed:
                        05:01 Franz Schubert; Rosamunde (Ballet Music No 2), D 797; Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Heinz Holliger (conductor)
                        05:08 George Frideric Handel; Sonata for 2 violins in G minor, HWV 390a; Musica Alta Ripa
                        05:19 Vitezslav Novak; Piano Trio in D minor, 'quasi una ballata', Op 27; Suk Trio
                        05:35 Sergey Prokofiev; Symphony No 1 in D major, Op 25, 'Classical'; Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Michel Tabachnik (conductor)
                        05:50 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Adagio and Allegro in E flat major (K.Anh.C 17.07) for wind octet; Festival Winds
                        06:00 Joseph Haydn; String Quartet in G minor, Op 74 No 3, 'Rider'; Ebene Quartet
                        06:21 Felix Mendelssohn; Three Psalms (Op.78); Chamber Choir AVE, Andraz Hauptman (conductor)
                        06:41 Ludwig van Beethoven; Piano Sonata no 24 in F sharp major, Op 78; Cedric Tiberghien (piano)
                        06:49 Georg Philipp Telemann; Quartet in D minor, TWV.43:d2; Ensemble of the Eighteenth Century, Susanne Regel (conductor)

Info from: https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ril%202021.pdf

I enjoyed the Handel & Prokofiev. Novák is new to me and a Czech composer I'll now listen out for - as ever, TTN educates and entertains.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Another 2 hours of missing Through the Night - remember, it's only 2 hours out of 42 a week!

Available to hear via more inclusive European broadcasters, e.g. Swedish radio:

Here's what we missed:
                          05:01 Franz Schubert; Rosamunde (Ballet Music No 2), D 797; Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Heinz Holliger (conductor)
                          05:08 George Frideric Handel; Sonata for 2 violins in G minor, HWV 390a; Musica Alta Ripa
                          05:19 Vitezslav Novak; Piano Trio in D minor, 'quasi una ballata', Op 27; Suk Trio
                          05:35 Sergey Prokofiev; Symphony No 1 in D major, Op 25, 'Classical'; Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Michel Tabachnik (conductor)
                          05:50 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Adagio and Allegro in E flat major (K.Anh.C 17.07) for wind octet; Festival Winds
                          06:00 Joseph Haydn; String Quartet in G minor, Op 74 No 3, 'Rider'; Ebene Quartet
                          06:21 Felix Mendelssohn; Three Psalms (Op.78); Chamber Choir AVE, Andraz Hauptman (conductor)
                          06:41 Ludwig van Beethoven; Piano Sonata no 24 in F sharp major, Op 78; Cedric Tiberghien (piano)
                          06:49 Georg Philipp Telemann; Quartet in D minor, TWV.43:d2; Ensemble of the Eighteenth Century, Susanne Regel (conductor)

Info from: https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ril%202021.pdf

I enjoyed the Handel & Prokofiev. Novák is new to me and a Czech composer I'll now listen out for - as ever, TTN educates and entertains.
                          And to think, Euroclassic Notturno/TtN is compiled and run from Radio 3, London.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            And to think, Euroclassic Notturno/TtN is compiled and run from Radio 3, London.
                            But what's in store when it's run from Radio 3, Salford?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              But what's in store when it's run from Radio 3, Salford?
                              A dampening down?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                A dampening down?
                                Depends on who’s in charge of the Quays!

Comment

Working...
                                X