Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Yes here too.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... am on bt - and yes, it's been sluggish. Not so bad now

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Everything's up and running on the Futurequest servers, so it's not the forum software <sighofrelief>
        But are they big servers like Greg Rusedski ...... ??????

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          But are they big servers like Greg Rusedski ...... ??????
          Rusedski? Bof! Think John Isner. But Futurequest servers are legion. We are on Evangelion.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

It was not a good night for me, as a result of which I was up far too early and ended up putting the radio on at about 6-30 am. Forgot that it was Saturday so normal service had been suspended... Was completely bemused by what seemed to be someone's device set to shuffle(I think that is approximately correct terminology, such things are another universe to me), such was the random sequence of tracks. The talk bit only came at the end and didn't make a lot of sense - possibly because I wasn't listening. I have no doubt that there are hundreds of thousands of folk out there who would have been able to identify much/most of what was played as I don't think it had much R3 content if any - but at a guess most of them aren't R3 listeners. I don't think they would be impressed by a random mixtape of "classsical hits" occupying airtime on whatever station they might favour, so why do we get it?
            The schedule today suggests that there was a double dose of dumbtime and no tearjerker - anyone any ideas? Was the emotional overload slot a limited offer?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

There's something on the R3 homepage about how fantastically popular classical music is becoming among younger audiences. But the disconcerting thing (okay, to me) is what it means to them and the only clue is that it's relaxing mood music - which to me means that the important thing is not the music in and of itself, but the effect it has on the listener. No need to know who composed it, when it was composed, what form it takes, what style. Which suggests that a knowledgeable audience (and not even one with technical/theoretical knowledge) will very soon become a thing of the past. Hit me with that dream music!

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Was completely bemused by what seemed to be someone's device set to shuffle(I think that is approximately correct terminology, such things are another universe to me), such was the random sequence of tracks. ...
              The schedule today suggests that there was a double dose of dumbtime and no tearjerker - anyone any ideas? Was the emotional overload slot a limited offer?
              Here: Why are more young people listening to classical music?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

There's something on the R3 homepage about how fantastically popular classical music is becoming among younger audiences. But the disconcerting thing (okay, to me) is what it means to them and the only clue is that it's relaxing mood music - which to me means that the important thing is not the music in and of itself, but the effect it has on the listener. No need to know who composed it, when it was composed, what form it takes, what style. Which suggests that a knowledgeable audience (and not even one with technical/theoretical knowledge) will very soon become a thing of the past. Hit me with that dream music!

Here: Why are more young people listening to classical music?
                That is interesting if only the fact that most of the pop music certainly the small amount I’ve been prepared to listen to on Radio Cornwall has been nasty and noisy, not that that may deter younger listeners but they possibly like a break from it.

oddoneout - it was two doses of Cleste’s Downtown Symphony instead of one each from Celeste and Jorja - whether this was better or worse I know not as I didn’t tune in until Lizzie’s Croissant Corner!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I've managed (happened) to listen to what might be the transition from TTN to Tearjerker on three Saturdays. There is no such link like 'our last item before Breakfast', just an abrupt transition to Jorja, or music. It leaves me with the impression that the TTN team was neither warned nor consulted that the last two hours of the Saturday morning TTN would not be broadcast. As I know (from experience) that sections of TTN are sometimes recycled, my cheeful fantasy is that the 0500-0700 Saturday TTNs were created, if not broadast.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    As I know (from experience) that sections of TTN are sometimes recycled, my cheeful fantasy is that the 0500-0700 Saturday TTNs were created, if not broadast.
                    As far as I know, they will have been created by the BBC and broadcast to the European countries that take them? Aunt Daisy was reporting what music we'd been missing.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

As far as I know, they will have been created by the BBC and broadcast to the European countries that take them? Aunt Daisy was reporting what music we'd been missing.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        I've managed (happened) to listen to what might be the transition from TTN to Tearjerker on three Saturdays. There is no such link like 'our last item before Breakfast', just an abrupt transition to Jorja, or music. It leaves me with the impression that the TTN team was neither warned nor consulted that the last two hours of the Saturday morning TTN would not be broadcast. As I know (from experience) that sections of TTN are sometimes recycled, my cheeful fantasy is that the 0500-0700 Saturday TTNs were created, if not broadast.
                        kernelbogey, they were created and our European friends can hear them.

For example, both you & the Swedes can enjoy Saturday's missing 2 hour segment via this webpage for over a week - it starts the Swedish Euronotturno broadcast.

To listen - press the "Play" button (white triangle in a big black circle). If you accept the Cookies ("Jag Förstår"), you can expand the player with the small up arrow on the bottom right and get high quality sound by selecting "Hög" for "Ljudkvalitet", you can also jump to any position with the slider. (It's a joy not to have "BBC SOUNDS" blasted at me by some teenager.)

Here's what we poor Brits were deprived of on 27/3/2021:
                        05:01 Antonio Vivaldi; Concerto da Camera in C major RV.87; Camerata Koln
                        05:09 Zoltan Kodaly; Adagio for violin (or viola, or cello) and piano in C major; Tamas Major (violin), Zoltan Kocsis (piano)
                        05:18 Veljo Tormis; Sugismaastikud (Autumn landscapes); Norwegian Soloists' Choir, Grete Helgerod (conductor)
                        05:28 Thea Musgrave; Loch Ness - a postcard from Scotland for orchestra; BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Donald Runnicles (conductor)
                        05:38 Robert Schumann; Variations on a Theme by Clara Wieck; Angela Cheng (piano)
                        05:46 Antonin Dvorak; Scherzo Capriccioso, Op 66; Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Oliver Dohnanyi (conductor)
                        06:00 August de Boeck; Violin Concerto; Kam Ning (violin), Flemish Radio Orchestra, Marc Soustrot (conductor)
                        06:27 Krsto Odak; Adriatic Symphony, Op 36; Croatian Radio and Television Symphony Orchestra, Baldo Podic (conductor)
                        Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...rch%202021.pdf

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Here's what we poor Brits were deprived of on 20/3/2021:

05:01 Benjamin Ipavec; Lahko Noc; Ana Pusar-Jeric (soprano), Natasa Valant (piano)
                          05:05 Claude Debussy / Luc Brewaeys; La cathedrale engloutie - (No 10 from Preludes - Book 1); Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Daniele Callegari (conductor)
                          05:12 Darius Milhaud; 3 Psaumes de David for chorus, Op 339; Elmer Iseler Singers, Elmer Iseler (conductor)
                          05:21 Pieter Hellendaal; Cello Sonata, Op 5 no 7 (1780); Jaap ter Linden (cello), Ton Koopman (harpsichord), Ageet Zweistra (cello)
                          05:32 Joseph Haydn; String Quartet in D major (Op.64, No.5) (Hob.III.63) "Lark"; Bartok String Quartet
                          05:50 Frederick Delius; In a Summer Garden for orchestra; BBC Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Davis (conductor)
                          05:07 Ignacy Jan Paderewski; Polish Fantasy, Op 19; Lukasz Krupinski (piano), Santander Orchestra, Lawrence Foster (conductor)
                          05:29 Gustav Mahler; Ich ging mit lust durch einen grunen Wald; Arleen Auger (soprano), Irwin Gage (piano)
                          05:34 Johan Peter Emilius Hartmann; 6 Characteerstykker med indledende Smaavers af H.C Andersen, Op 50; Nina Gade (piano)
                          05:46 Giovanni Battista Pergolesi; Violin Concerto in B flat major; Andrea Keller (violin), Concerto Koln
                          Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...rch%202021.pdf

You can still listen to it on Swedish radio for another day or so:

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

March hasn't finished yet and already we've had more non-classical on R3 this year than in the whole of 2011 & 2012, with 'tearjerker' & 'downtime symphony' making a 'fair' contribution. If things continue at this rate it will be at least another 15% increase in non-classical on top of last year's record, which could mean that non-classical pieces on R3 would have increased 4.25 times from 10 years ago.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                              March hasn't finished yet and already we've had more non-classical on R3 this year than in the whole of 2011 & 2012, with 'tearjerker' & 'downtime symphony' making a 'fair' contribution. If things continue at this rate it will be at least another 15% increase in non-classical on top of last year's record, which could mean that non-classical pieces on R3 would have increased 4.25 times from 10 years ago.
                              Katie Melua song on Sarah Walker’s programme this morning..........
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Katie Melua song on R3 this morning..........
                                But it wasn't a random choice, it was to do with her connection with violinist Lisa Batiashvili. Not at all the same thing as the random sequence I heard from someone's device on Saturday morning, purporting to be a R3 programme.

Comment

Working...
                                X