Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    I guess it is vastly easier to find such drop outs from the highly competitive world of marketing who think a bit of soft sell to tired mums should be a doodle than to find musically literate producers who would also I suspect demonstrate the illiteracy of their superiors brought from from the marketing dept with no doubt their 'commercial salaries'.
    I'm sure there are plenty of musically literate producers at R3: what we complain of here is the curse of managerialism.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I'm sure there are plenty of musically literate producers at R3: what we complain of here is the curse of managerialism.
      I don't know what the situation is now, but when Mark Thompson was DG, the BBC's marketing department was pretty powerful. It dictated which trailers a service should take, what time they should be 'placed' and so on. That was the time the current DG was brought to the BBC from PepsiCola. I'm sure producers work to managers' briefs. This is certainly the case with indie production companies who tender for contracts to commissioning briefs so presumably have to show how they are targeting particular demographics and trends.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Aotearoa
        • May 2014

In my ignorance I didn’t realise they were two different programmes. They just elide together as one long set of right on sounds.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          ...That was the time the current DG was brought to the BBC from PepsiCola....
          so...
          Lipsmackin' moodgroovin’ acesoundsin' mozartin' mindbuzzin' allnitein’ cooltalkin' radiofree-ee-ee

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

so...
            Lipsmackin' moodgroovin’ acesoundsin' mozartin' mindbuzzin' allnitein’ cooltalkin' radiofree-ee-ee
            No - just a lookalike product and not even the real thing! - it does have one use tho metal cleaning thanks to the phosphoric acid though it cheaper to buy descaler based on the same acid.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
              In my ignorance I didn’t realise they were two different programmes. They just elide together as one long set of right on sounds.
              There's also Classical Fix and Unclassified. I don't think I'd actually noticed that Late Junction is now down to just a single programme. Not interested on my own account, but it does seem to shortchange that audience in giving them Night Tracks instead - though I suppose the 30-min Unclassified is supposed to 'make up for' that loss. Its catchline 'Music that defies classification' was used for Late Junction when it started. Thirty minutes of that with Elizabeth Alker is just handing over 30 minutes of Radio 3 air time to 6 Music.

PS Yes, overlooked Downtime Symphony.
              Last edited by french frank; 21-02-21, 22:37.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

I happened on Saturday morning to hear the end of TTN, before the beginning of Tearjerker. Normally, John Shea would sign off by announcing the last TTN item before Breakfast. There was no transition announcement - so presumably he was not told about losing the last two hours of TTN before he recorded the links for his three-week stint.

Let's wait and see this Saturday whether anybody remembered to tell Catriona.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Let's wait and see this Saturday....
                  Let’s not bother...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                    Let’s not bother...
                    I’ll sleep on it, hopefully through it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I happened on Saturday morning to hear the end of TTN, before the beginning of Tearjerker. Normally, John Shea would sign off by announcing the last TTN item before Breakfast. There was no transition announcement - so presumably he was not told about losing the last two hours of TTN before he recorded the links for his three-week stint.

Let's wait and see this Saturday whether anybody remembered to tell Catriona.
                      I inadvertently had my first experience of Tearjerker yesterday morning, when I woke up to Radio 3 - it being the station I am tuned at low volume to right through the night. What I seemed to be hearing was an adolescent self-accompanying in some kind of pop tune on piano, concluding with a sort of sub-Einaudi "cadenza" then segueing into a sort of rambling "piano concerto" with odd bits of e.g. Puccini in - a kind of mixtape I guess, with no organic continuity, just a featureless ramble. At some point a young woman came on to tell me they were offering me soothing music, or something. After about 15 minutes of this I switched over to Radio 4 for Toady. I guess this is the future for those of us who sleep with the radio on for TTN on Friday nights.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I guess this is the future for those of us who sleep with the radio on for TTN on Friday nights.
                        I recommend the World Service. (Though on the R4 wavelength, it switches back to R4 at 0520.)

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I inadvertently had my first experience of Tearjerker yesterday morning, when I woke up to Radio 3 - it being the station I am tuned at low volume to right through the night. What I seemed to be hearing was an adolescent self-accompanying in some kind of pop tune on piano, concluding with a sort of sub-Einaudi "cadenza" then segueing into a sort of rambling "piano concerto" with odd bits of e.g. Puccini in - a kind of mixtape I guess, with no organic continuity, just a featureless ramble. At some point a young woman came on to tell me they were offering me soothing music, or something. After about 15 minutes of this I switched over to Radio 4 for Toady. I guess this is the future for those of us who sleep with the radio on for TTN on Friday nights.
                          It strikes me as a considerable achievement to construct an hour of “soothing “:music which seems to get people who like music wound up. Those piano relaxation pieces on Spotify are by and large excruciating...

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                            It strikes me as a considerable achievement to construct an hour of “soothing “:music which seems to get people who like music wound up....
                            complete misunderstanding of the intended audience - like muzak in lifts, shop etc + whilst you wait for a phone to be answered, it is purely distraction material - not intended to be listened to as such but merely to waste enough part of the brain's processing capacity that you don't think how bl*dy stupid is the current occupation - quite why the BBC is into this I suspect is a matter for the accountants - dirt cheap time wasting

ETA why is the site so slow this morning ?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              . . . ETA why is the site so slow this morning ?
                              No such problems here.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                No such problems here.
                                Or here.
                                ETA? Extraterrestrial activity (on the Isle on Man)?

Comment

Working...
                                X