Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Thanks Heldenleben & Underthecountertenor - I really enjoyed the Met Il Trovatore & probably would have missed it without your recommendations.

Thanks also to French Frank, I'm enjoying Simon Heffer on John Foulds.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Thanks Heldenleben & Underthecountertenor - I really enjoyed the Met Il Trovatore & probably would have missed it without your recommendations.

Thanks also to French Frank, I'm enjoying Simon Heffer on John Foulds.
      A good 24 hours for Reithian broadcasting - a magnificent archive repeat of Il Trovatore , an excellent Early Music Show on Les Violons du Roy , and a fascinating feature on John Foulds this evening.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Here's what we poor Brits missed from Through the Night.
        Available on Euroclassic Notturno, e.g. https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1652749

5:01 John Dowland / John Duarte / Galbraith; Fantasie arr. Duarte/Galbraith for guitar; Manuel Calderon (guitar)
        5:05 Johann Pachelbel; Canon in D major arr. for 3 violins; Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra Katowice, Michal Klauza (conductor)
        5:10 Alexander Scriabin; Nocturne for the Left Hand, Op 9 no 2; Anatol Urgorski (piano)
        5:17 Chan Ka Nin; Four seasons suite; Ottawa Winds, Michael Goodwin (conductor)
        5:30 Claude Debussy; Iberia - from Images for Orchestra; BBC Philharmonic, Juanjo Mena (conductor)
        5:51 Arthur de Greef; Cinq Chants D'Amour for soprano and orchestra; Charlotte Riedijk (soprano), Flemish Radio Orchestra, Yannick Nezet-Seguin (conductor)
        6:11 Cesar Franck; Prelude, Chorale and Fugue (M.21); Robert Silverman (piano)
        6:32 Johann Sebastian Bach; Violin Concerto in A minor (BWV.1041); Reinhard Goebel (violin), Musica Antiqua Koln, Reinhard Goebel (conductor)
        6:42 Franz Schubert; Nachtstuck D.672; Ilker Arcayurek (tenor), Simon Lepper (piano)
        6:48 Hildegard of Bingen; Alma Redemptoris Mater & Ave Maria, O auctrix vite; Sequentia, Elizabeth Gaver (medieval fiddle), Elisabetta de Mircovich (medieval fiddle)
        Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202021.pdf

Two TTN things surprised me this week:
        1) A trailer for the abysmal SOUNDS app that claimed Through the Night was 6 hours - it needs one of those speed garbled disclaimers from the radio adverts.
        2) The first Through the Night (5th May 1996) was only ~5 hours long. I missed it, does anyone remember hearing it?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Available on Euroclassic Notturno, e.g. https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1652749

5:01 John Dowland / John Duarte / Galbraith; Fantasie arr. Duarte/Galbraith for guitar; Manuel Calderon (guitar)
          5:05 Johann Pachelbel; Canon in D major arr. for 3 violins; Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra Katowice, Michal Klauza (conductor)
          5:10 Alexander Scriabin; Nocturne for the Left Hand, Op 9 no 2; Anatol Urgorski (piano)
          5:30 Claude Debussy; Iberia - from Images for Orchestra; BBC Philharmonic, Juanjo Mena (conductor)
          5:51 Arthur de Greef; Cinq Chants D'Amour for soprano and orchestra; Charlotte Riedijk (soprano), Flemish Radio Orchestra, Yannick Nezet-Seguin (conductor)
          6:32 Johann Sebastian Bach; Violin Concerto in A minor (BWV.1041); Reinhard Goebel (violin), Musica Antiqua Koln, Reinhard Goebel (conductor)
          6:42 Franz Schubert; Nachtstuck D.672; Ilker Arcayurek (tenor), Simon Lepper (piano)
          6:48 Hildegard of Bingen; Alma Redemptoris Mater & Ave Maria, O auctrix vite; Sequentia, Elizabeth Gaver (medieval fiddle), Elisabetta de Mircovich (medieval fiddle)

1) A trailer for the abysmal SOUNDS app that claimed Through the Night was 6 hours - it needs one of those speed garbled disclaimers from the radio adverts.
          2) The first Through the Night (5th May 1996) was only ~5 hours long. I missed it, does anyone remember hearing it?
          Yes the ubiquitous SOUNDS app advert promises 6 hours of TTN . Has anyone listened on SOUNDS to see if the missing two hours are there? I don’t suppose they are ...

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I heard that and did a double take, not least as it seemed to be a new version of the wretched Sounds advert - or at least I didn't recollect hearing it before, so wondered why was it wrong. I suppose if it's one size fits all, then it's going to be wrong for the bit that isn't that size...

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
              Yes the ubiquitous SOUNDS app advert promises 6 hours of TTN . Has anyone listened on SOUNDS to see if the missing two hours are there? I don’t suppose they are ...
              Sadly not, 4 hours and ~3 minutes long on SOUNDS (inc. the start of the Tearjerker drivel.)

I think the only way to hear the missing 2 hours is via the Swedish Notturno player https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1652749
              Apart from the "Cinq Chants D'Amour", I enjoyed the missing pieces esp. the Bach with Reinhard Goebel - it really cheered me up.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Sadly not, 4 hours and ~3 minutes long on SOUNDS (inc. the start of the Tearjerker drivel.)

I think the only way to hear the missing 2 hours is via the Swedish Notturno player https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1652749
                Apart from the "Cinq Chants D'Amour", I enjoyed the missing pieces esp. the Bach with Reinhard Goebel - it really cheered me up.
                Excellent detective work!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I think there was a slight movement from what I meant in my original statement: "Classic FM has a better claim to put 'classical music at the heart' of their output". If Radio 3 is including the seven programmes I mentioned as being part of their 'classical music output', then Classic FM has a 'better claim', since just about every programme - albeit much of it even more unbearable than Radio 3 - is 'classical music' whereas Radio 3 includes other types of music and speech programmes.
                  Roles are reversing, in that some of Radio 3's techniques are being cloned by Classic FM. Forumists will remember how much respect we had for Catherine Bott, when she was a Radio 3 presenter, and a contributor to this forum. She moved to Classic FM, where she became one of their best presenters. Recently, she has adopted the style and mannerisms of Katie Derham - sad indeed, from such a fine, respected musician.

Comment

• Aotearoa
                    • May 2014

Dreary scrap book with (I suppose so...) a gesture to classical music.
                    The most hackneyed comment is ‘one of my favourite....’. Every track is ‘one of my favourites. Being in NZ this assaults my ears around 7 in the evening. Even my early 20’s kids roll their eyes as it feels like dad is getting down with the kids.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

Here's what we poor Brits (and others) missed from today's Through the Night.
                      Available to listen to via Euroclassic Notturno, e.g. on Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1656724
                      I enjoyed the Gesualdo Miserere (Have mercy on me, O God, for drivel like Tearjerker!) & the Ludvig Norman Sextet (a composer new to me.)

5:01 Jan Levoslav Bella; Solemn Overture in E flat major; Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Robert Stankovsky (conductor)
                      5:07 Henry Purcell; Pavan (Z.752) and Chacony (Z.730) for 4 instruments in G minor; London Baroque
                      5:16 Pablo de Sarasate; Zigeunerweisen, Op.20; Kerson Leong (violin), Orchestre de la Francophonie, Jean-Philippe Tremblay (conductor)
                      5:25 Carlo Gesualdo; Miserere; Camerata Silesia, Anna Szostak (conductor)
                      5:36 Richard Strauss; Macbeth (Op.23); BBC Philharmonic, Vassily Sinaisky (conductor)
                      5:56 Ruth Watson Henderson; Come Holy Spirit for SATB with organ accompaniment; Elmer Iseler Singers, Matthew Larkin (organ), Lydia Adams (conductor)
                      6:00 Maurice Ravel; Miroirs; Martina Filjak (piano)
                      6:33 Ludvig Norman; String Sextet in A major (Op.18) (1850); Stockholm String Sextet (sextet)
                      Listings from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202021.pdf

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Here's what we poor Brits (and others) missed from today's Through the Night.
                        Keep 'em coming, Auntie. The message may get through in time.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Keep 'em coming, Auntie. The message may get through in time.
                          no way - the beeb has a ratchet in that once moved away from classical music towards a youth oriented stream you will never get back to the status ante

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                            no way - the beeb has a ratchet in that once moved away from classical music towards a youth oriented stream you will never get back to the status ante
                            I do wish the BBC would stop believing that young people as a whole are a bunch of moody teenagers.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              <cough, cough> I wasn't actually thinking of the BBC with that remark.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

<cough, cough> I wasn't actually thinking of the BBC with that remark.
                                Apologies for the confusing username, I think Auntie (BBC) may have priority on it

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the Swedish radio links & player...

Comment

Working...
                                X