Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I think it's where we see Late Junction as being the thin end of a very thick wedge. So from laid back, "Kinds of music you won't hear anywhere else: 'Plainchant to post modern' [sic the blurb], when that caught on, it became progressively 'What else can we get away with' in an attempt to sweep any Third Programme/Radio 3 vestiges under the carpet.

As we can see here, there is AN audience for virtually anything they throw at us - hopefully people who will be new to 'Radio 3' but certainly a few people who are also ready to criticise how things were.

If you can't stand it, it's because it isn't aimed at you: you're not supposed to like it because you like what the BBC is trying to discard, sadly. So was I.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Yes, if you endlessly trail BBC SOUNDS & this sort of drivel, you're right, someone will listen to it - but it won't be me & there's more & more on R3 / R4 that makes me reach for the off button and call for bolts of lightning to strike BBC "management" in uncomfortable places.

This seems to be a desperate attempt by Auntie to attract youngsters - why should they be in the least bit interested in an archaic broadcaster? (That I used to love & have listened to for decades!)
      Bring back the Third Programme and Patricia Hughes - dashing into Broadcasting House in her nightgown!

In Simon Elmes' book, Hello Again: Nine Decades of Radio Voices, Hughes described how she used to spend nights in the radio announcers' dormitory - in a building which has since been converted into the Langham Hotel - and recalled one particularly memorable broadcast.
      She told the author: "By the mercy of God I'd remembered to take a diaphanous negligee to put over my nightie, which I didn't normally do.
      "I rushed down the stairs, tore across Portland Place into Broadcasting House and luckily with about three or four minutes to spare, got into the studio, very breathless. I read the news at nine. Then, at 10, I realised with appalling clarity that I was still in my nightdress, hair in all directions looking like nothing on earth."
      Former BBC radio announcer, Patricia Hughes, who was famous for her elegant tones on Radio 3 for many years, has died aged 90.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Others have commented that those who might really really like Tearjerker are unlikely to be awake between 0500 and 0700 - especially on a Saturday!

And as that is a rather obvious notion, i wonder if this has been scheduled then so that it can be trailed elsewhere as being available on Sounds whenever you want and wherever you are; and also someone thinking 'Oh no one will miss the last bit of TTN.'

It's a bit like when Schools broadcasts went out in the middle of the night on R3's wavelength for teachers to record - no 'downloads' back then! - eh FF?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Others have commented that those who might really really like Tearjerker are unlikely to be awake between 0500 and 0700 - especially on a Saturday!
          I think if it really tanks - and it seems to be (I've never listened) a step further from Night Tracks - they will rethink. A tiny bit. But that won't mean String Quartets At Midnight. Just, "We didn't make it bad enough."

And as that is a rather obvious notion, i wonder if this has been scheduled then so that it can be trailed elsewhere as being available on Sounds whenever you want and wherever you are; and also someone thinking 'Oh no one will miss the last bit of TTN.'
          But they won't miss it, will they? And as long as we get a few more listening to Tearjerker, it's win-win for us. Off with the old and on with the new.

It's a bit like when Schools broadcasts went out in the middle of the night on R3's wavelength for teachers to record - no 'downloads' back then! - eh FF?
          Yep, I remember that from my insomniac days. And the infuriating thing was that the infant teachers didn't listen or hold their classes in the wee small hours - they only set their taperecorder timers.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

Perhaps, if we just ignore it, it might go away?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
              Perhaps, if we just ignore it, it might go away?
              I suspect they'll just keep eating into "Through the Night" and then drop it!
              Sadly, the list of countries that take TTN (Euroclassic Notturno) isn't that impressive, especially given those that used to...

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                Banned
                • Oct 2020

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                I suspect they'll just keep eating into "Through the Night" and then drop it!
                Sadly, the list of countries that take TTN (Euroclassic Notturno) isn't that impressive, especially given those that used to...
                Despite the derision to which my choice of Saturday pre-breakfast listening regularly gives rise, I still prefer Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio 2 to any of the alternatives, on this or your side of the Irish Sea - not least because BBC Radio as a whole seems to have otherwise completely discarded those of us who like 60s pop music.

Is it true that next week's edition of Tearjerker is devoted to Jorja's All-Time Favourite TV Jingles?
                Last edited by Leinster Lass; 23-01-21, 13:33.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

not least because BBC Radio as a whole seems to have otherwise completely discarded those of us who like 60s pop music.
                  The problem with pop music - 60s or any other decade - is that the musical turnover is so quick that a single popular music station can hardly cope adequately with every generation of pop lover. After Sounds of the 60s, you get Sounds of the 70s, the Sound of the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, not to mention the contemporary stuff. You might get the odd programme or two on the 60s, if that's enough. But in theory not on an arts/classical music station.

Meanwhile The Swinging Sixties seems to be still available, but may only be available to those with a TV Licence.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Despite the derision to which my choice of Saturday pre-breakfast listening regularly gives rise, I still prefer Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio 2 to any of the alternatives, on this or your side of the Irish Sea - not least because BBC Radio as a whole seems to have otherwise completely discarded those of us who like 60s pop music.

Is it true that next week's edition of Tearjerker is devoted to Jorja's All-Time Favourite TV Jingles?
                    Strange thing is that the music on Tony Blackburn’s programme but the presenter I have continually disliked for around 55 years - if only I could have a radio which can mute the sound when the music stops and unmutes when it restarts. Then I could have the reverse of that procedure when I’m listening to Radio Cornwall which has good presenters and awful music! As Jagger sang ‘You can’t always get what you want’ !

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Strange thing is that the music on Tony Blackburn’s programme but the presenter I have continually disliked for around 55 years - if only I could have a radio which can mute the sound when the music stops and unmutes when it restarts. Then I could have the reverse of that procedure when I’m listening to Radio Cornwall which has good presenters and awful music! As Jagger sang ‘You can’t always get what you want’ !
                      I totally agree about Blackburn cloughers .... I’ve never liked him .... so I don’t listen .......

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        I totally agree about Blackburn cloughers .... I’ve never liked him .... so I don’t listen .......
                        But could you say, impartially and setting aside your own dislike, that on Radio 2 (or Radio 1 back in those days) he was on quite the wrong station?

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          But could you say, impartially and setting aside your own dislike, that on Radio 2 (or Radio 1 back in those days) he was on quite the wrong station?
                          Whatever station is was on and has been over the years he has always come over as superficial - and like other DJs of his era more interested in himself than the music he plays!

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Whatever station is was on and has been over the years he has always come over as superficial - and like other DJs of his era more interested in himself than the music he plays!
                            Indeed cloughers and he was and is on the “right station” IMVVHO ff ...... you can like a station and not listen to the programmes you don’t like .... but each to their own I am sure you delighted in the Mr and Mrs J Walker show over the festive season .......

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Indeed cloughers and he was and is on the “right station” IMVVHO ff ...... you can like a station and not listen to the programmes you don’t like
                              I agree. But this make Tony Blackburn a bit different from the importees to Radio 3 who are not felt to be on the "right station". Like many other ploys by management, they have been brought in not to enhance the station, but to pull in more listeners to increase Radio 3's listening figures. I have suggested that they could do this at a stroke by switching the Archers over to Radio 3, but Radio 4 wouldn't play.

I can't be bothered to change my listening habits to seek out the (possibly) interesting programmes and listening to them when they're on rather than when I want to listen. If they were interesting enough I could listen on Zoonds but they're not. I must leave this to Radio 3's listeners newly arrived from other stations and none.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I agree. But this make Tony Blackburn a bit different from the importees to Radio 3 who are not felt to be on the "right station". Like many other ploys by management, they have been brought in not to enhance the station, but to pull in more listeners to increase Radio 3's listening figures. I have suggested that they could do this at a stroke by switching the Archers over to Radio 3, but Radio 4 wouldn't play.

I can't be bothered to change my listening habits to seek out the (possibly) interesting programmes and listening to them when they're on rather than when I want to listen. If they were interesting enough I could listen on Zoonds but they're not. I must leave this to Radio 3's listeners newly arrived from other stations and none.
                                I think we are, maybe not for the first time, in the land of apples and pears ..... IIRC Tone was the first DJ on R1 - not brought in to up the listening figures and/or change the age demographic of the station to assuage the paymasters ......
                                As I have said before I think bringing in younger presenters is a valid way of attracting listeners not on the verge of their pensions.
                                I, alone obviously, like Alkers .... I have no problem with her presentational style and she has IMVVHO enthusiasm and a nice self deprecating sense of humour ..... sadly we will never really know if she is having the desired effect .....

Comment

Working...
                                X